New project: locast2dvr

wouterdebie

jdroberto

Thanks for making this! I'm a bit confused about getting it up and running on Ubuntu 18.04.5.  Do I literally just put  

pip install `locast2dvr`

I get errors every time I do that.  Do I need to clone the repository?  What does the config need to be named? (surely not config.example)  How do I run the script? (locast2dvr doesn't seem to be executable)?   Really want to give this a try but I am struggling with the basics.  Is there an install guide for the linux challenged.

In regards to the problem below, I completely uninstalled locast2dvr and Python,  rebooted and re-installed and all is working as it should.  Something must have been changed in the system on the previous reboot I noted.  All is well!

Can't find FCC DMA for 862, Sacramento

Don't forget to use "_" instead of "-" in config.ini file vs. how it works in commandline.

wouterdebie
On 1/30/2021 at 10:06 PM, richt said:

Don't see a version noted, however there is a dist folder "locast2dvr-0.4.16.dist-info".  Just to be sure I'm current I re-ran "pip install locast2dvr" and it shows "Requirement already satisfied" for locast2dvr at 0.4.16.  

Version 0.4.16 is also somewhat "old". Upgrade with `pip install --upgrade locast2dvr`

wouterdebie
On 1/31/2021 at 6:45 AM, jdroberto said:

Is there an install guide for the linux challenged.

No, there's none. If someone feels compelled to do so, please add it :)  It's hard for me to figure out what people don't know (yet). That said, I'd be more than happy to help and give pointers.

• 3 weeks later...
kogren161
On 1/31/2021 at 4:45 AM, jdroberto said:

Thanks for making this! I'm a bit confused about getting it up and running on Ubuntu 18.04.5.  Do I literally just put  

pip install `locast2dvr`

I get errors every time I do that.  Do I need to clone the repository?  What does the config need to be named? (surely not config.example)  How do I run the script? (locast2dvr doesn't seem to be executable)?   Really want to give this a try but I am struggling with the basics.  Is there an install guide for the linux challenged.

I'm also extremely green with this stuff.  What I did to get it installed is add python -m preceding the commands above.  So python -m pip install locast2dvr.  I later uninstalled it in a similar fashion and  then used;

$ python3 -m venv venv
$ . ./venv/bin/activate
$ pip install locast2dvr

I started the program from command prompt using

locast2dvr -U myusername -P mypassword

the program runs and provides this output;

2021-02-19 15:17:04 - INFO - Main: locast2dvr 0.8.1 running on CPython 3.9.1, Linux-5.10.11-v7l+-armv7l-with-glibc2.28 starting
2021-02-19 15:17:04 - INFO - LocastService: Logging in with myusermane
2021-02-19 15:17:05 - INFO - LocastService: Locast login successful
2021-02-19 15:17:05 - INFO - Main: Using ffmpeg at /usr/bin/ffmpeg
2021-02-19 15:17:05 - INFO - Facilities: Using cached file: /home/pi/.locast2dvr/facilities.zip
2021-02-19 15:17:05 - INFO - Facilities: Unzipping facilities...
2021-02-19 15:17:24 - INFO - Facilities: Done loading..
2021-02-19 15:17:25 - INFO - LocastService: Loading stations for Seattle (cache: True, cache timeout: 3600, days: 😎
2021-02-19 15:17:28 - INFO - Tuner: Tuner(city: Seattle, zip: None, dma: 819, uid: LOCAST2DVR_0, url: http://127.0.0.1:6077) HTTP interface started
2021-02-19 15:17:28 - INFO - Tuner: Tuner(city: Seattle, zip: None, dma: 819, uid: LOCAST2DVR_0, url: http://127.0.0.1:6077) started
2021-02-19 15:17:28 - INFO - Main: Tuners:
2021-02-19 15:17:28 - INFO - Main:   City     Zipcode      DMA  UID           TZ                   URL
2021-02-19 15:17:28 - INFO - Main:   -------  ---------  -----  ------------  -------------------  ---------------------
2021-02-19 15:17:28 - INFO - Main:   Seattle               819  LOCAST2DVR_0  America/Los_Angeles  http://127.0.0.1:607

but when I add the HDhomerun tuner I see no channels :(

I'm hoping to figure out the m3U tuner, but thought it best to try the HDhomerun since I was familiar with the setup of locast2plex in Plex and Jellyfin

I changed the IP for the tuner and it is now functioning.  I'm not sure why I was under the impression it needed to be the server IP:8096?  I changed it to 127.0.0.1:6077.  The guide is not populated, but at least it shows the channels now:)

Hopefully that will get you moving in the right direction.

Edited by kogren161

kogren161

Thank you for the suggestion, not sure if the double colons was a typo, but I tried that as well as http://127.0.0.1:6077/epg.xml for the EPG, seems to behave the same either way.  I still get the  stations listed, but none of the programming.  I should mention that I am running this on a raspberry pi and Jellyfin.  I can tune the channels, just no list of upcoming programs.  Do I need to do anything in the command line to try the M3U tuner?  I tried entering http://127.0.0.1:6077 for it in Jellyfin, but I get nothing.

As soon as I realized I needed http://127.0.0.1:6077/lineup.m3u for the m3u tuner and added it, the tuner worked, and the guide data populated.  I found that interesting that I didn't even change the guide, it just populated with the change from HD homerun to m3u.  :)

BTW thanks for your efforts, I'm really excited to get this running without the chunks missing.

Edited by kogren161

wouterdebie

Sorry about the typo. To be honest, there's no good reason to use HDHR mode instead of m3u in Emby. And I've only tested m3u and the EPG together in Emby. This works best actually, since the channel id is in both the lineup.m3u and epg.xml, so Emby can easily match.

wouterdebie
On 2/1/2021 at 12:18 PM, wouterdebie said:

No, there's none. If someone feels compelled to do so, please add it :)  It's hard for me to figure out what people don't know (yet). That said, I'd be more than happy to help and give pointers.

And now there is! https://github.com/wouterdebie/locast2dvr/wiki/eqpaisley's-newbie-guide-to-locast2dvr

• Like 1

kogren161

Sweet, that is a great looking guide.  I'll be interested to see how well I can follow it.  Will be great to get the script and config setup so that it will run automatically.

BTW this all seems to be running great with the m3u tuner on my raspberry pi.  Thanks again for your hard work.

wouterdebie
2 minutes ago, kogren161 said:

Sweet, that is a great looking guide.  I'll be interested to see how well I can follow it.  Will be great to get the script and config setup so that it will run automatically.

BTW this all seems to be running great with the m3u tuner on my raspberry pi.  Thanks again for your hard work.

Awesome! And it's all my pleasure! Great to hear it runs well on a raspberry pi! Since the m3u variant doesn't do any transcoding and hardly any I/O, it's probably we'll suited for Pi.

kogren161

Running through the guide all has worked well until I tried the last actions

I get;

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ systemctl --user enable locast2dvr
Failed to enable unit: Unit file locast2dvr.service does not exist.

The file that was created in the newbie guide does exist, although the command as written failed, I had to mkdir systemd in order to get the command to execute.  I have triple verified the paths, seems as though the command above may need to be pointed toward the locat2dvr.service file?

Everything works fine from the command line although, I had to rerun the "export PATH="$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH" command to get the "locast2dvr --config ~/.config/locast2dvr/locast2dvr.config" command to work.

I added -ds to the above command, not sure if it is needed, but as I mentioned before I am interested in eliminating the missing chunks.

Edited by kogren161

• 3 weeks later...
danlo315

Hi- I'm currently using locast2plex as a docker container to feed tvheadend and then into Emby; while it works, you know what they say - if it ain't' broke it just means you haven't messed around it long enough.  Any chance this can be packaged as a docker container as well?