Shield TV Transfer Rate issue playing large files.

heath600

heath600

I have several LOTR remuxes that are around 100 GB in size.   I went to play one on Emby and it players for 5-10 seconds then pauses (Repeats).  I have done several test and this does not seem to be a problem with the Shields ability to play back the file.  Here are several test I have done. (Note my NAS cannot transcode video and I have it disable in the user to)

Shield TV 2017 (1000mbps ethernet) 

VLC - Plays file with no issue from samba share (QNAP NAS) Downloads on NAS as high as 18 MB's
Emby AndroidTV - NAS shows max download of 4.5 MB's (Not nearly fast enough)
Emby Android - Does not play at all

Shield TV 2015 (1000mbps ethernet)
Same as above

Desktop PC (1000 mbps ethernet)

VLC - Plays file with no issue from samba share (QNAP NAS) Downloads on NAS as high as 18 MB'
Emby Theater - NAS shows max download of 4.5 MB's (Not nearly fast enough)

Oneplus 6T (Wifi AC)
VLC - Plays file with no issue from samba share (QNAP NAS) Downloads on NAS as high as 18 MB'
Emby Android - Does not play at all

I have also went back and played some older 4k remuxes I have and while not nearly as large as 100GB I seem to have problems playing them now also (They worked at some time before).  The only difference is on some of those the download rate might temporarily go up to 7 MB's but rarely stays up there (Still not enough speed to play continuously).

I have also tried with and without network paths and does not seem to make a difference.

Is there any tweaking I can do to get Emby to play this files properly.

rbjtech

Is Android max bitrate set to Auto ?  If yes, set it to 120 Mbit+

Both direct file and http can process to approx 140-160 Mbit/sec before they start to struggle so Emby itself is likely not the issue here.

rbjtech

Also to note,  1 gig Ethernet should be able to transfer 110-115 Mbytes per second .. so if you are only getting 4.5.. then there may be a network issue somewhere ... ?

heath600

I have set all the Emby setting the the max.  Either 120 or 160 depending on the version.   Nothing changed.  The average bitrate of these files are around 60-70 mbit.  They may spike above 100 but not for long periods.  4.5 MB's is only 36 mbit.

No network issue would allow VLC to play the file while downloading 18MB's and Emby only 4.5MB's

Note for testing I pushed the Emby android app to sideload and it transferred the 30 MB file in under a second.

Edited by heath600

Have you tried mounting the share to the Shield and then using the direct file access option in the app?

heath600

I didn't mount them to the shield.  I figured that was not necessary as nothing else requires to be mounted to play from a share.  I will try that.  Is there an easy way to see if it is using the share properly?

FrostByte
35 minutes ago, heath600 said:

I didn't mount them to the shield.  I figured that was not necessary as nothing else requires to be mounted to play from a share.  I will try that.  Is there an easy way to see if it is using the share properly?

Yes, if the shares are mounted correctly on the Shield and you set the direct access option in ATV then after clicking Play check SFN and it should say Stream type  is "File" instead of http.  I've played all the same movies on my Shield using File streaming with no issues on my 2019 pro.  

rbjtech

I saw no real benefit in mounting the file system on the shield and using 'file' access - so I actually went back to http access - and play 100 Mbit+ files without issue.  I've tested to 160 Mbit/sec using test files.

FrostByte

Those who have their media shares on a different server than Emby probably benefit more than the others by eliminating the middleman sort of speak.  I've had no issues playing anything since switching.

heath600

@Luke In my first post I listed Emby Android which refers to the version you just posted.  That version would not even play the files and It would usually freeze or just sit at black. 

@ebr @FrostByte  Mounting the file system on my shield has resolved the issue.  I can now play the videos without problem.  I did notice one problem.  I had a share name Synced_TV and it would not play as a file no matter what I did.  I changed the name of the share to SyncedTV and it now plays files properly.  Thanks for the help.

@rbjtech  I'm thinking my NAS with an arm processor must have some kind of http limit stopping me from getting high enough bit rate.  What hardware are you currently using to see the http work up to 160 mbps?

• Like 1

rbjtech
1 hour ago, heath600 said:

@rbjtech  I'm thinking my NAS with an arm processor must have some kind of http limit stopping me from getting high enough bit rate.  What hardware are you currently using to see the http work up to 160 mbps?

It's a Gen 1 Intel i5 😆 - so not exactly a power house lol, but you could be onto something if you are running emby itself on the NAS - ie you are not just using the NAS as Storage.

6-8 weeks ago, Emby Server for Windows had the same issue using HTTP - it hit a limit @ 50Mbit - but Emby fixed it so that was no longer a bottleneck (not sure if it was a coded fixed limit, or some significant coding inefficiencies were resolved..). 

Maybe the same needs to be done for the NAS version.  Or the CPU may be too weak to do this at high 4K bitrates.  

I guess you have a solution anyway (direct file access), but I'm not sure how well that will continue to be supported.

ps - on the Shield shares, case is very important as it's a linux based os - so as you've already found out, keep the names lowercase/simple with no special chars..  

Edited by rbjtech

heath600

I was running 4.6.0.5.   I updated it to 4.6.0.6 and now Emby Theater now streams at the proper speed. I will have to test the Shield later.

bakes82

Shield isnt the issue, I stream 4k 100+gb dolby vision files fine over wifi in plex via a remote server with a 1gb internet connection.

I can play 4k remux files in emby fine also, DV dont use emby for those since its not supported on shield yet.

The latest server version is : Version 4.5.3.0 ?

Edited by bakes82

38 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

Shield isnt the issue, I stream 4k 100+gb dolby vision files fine over wifi in plex via a remote server with a 1gb internet connection.

I can play 4k remux files in emby fine also, DV dont use emby for those since its not supported on shield yet.

The latest server version is : Version 4.5.3.0 ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 7:22 PM, FrostByte said:

Those who have their media shares on a different server than Emby probably benefit more than the others by eliminating the middleman sort of speak.  I've had no issues playing anything since switching.

On  nice thing about FILE playback is that you can restart the server without stopping playback of files.

sooty234
On 12/3/2020 at 1:20 PM, rbjtech said:

Also to note,  1 gig Ethernet should be able to transfer 110-115 Mbytes per second .. so if you are only getting 4.5.. then there may be a network issue somewhere ... ?

There is a latency issue with a wired connection on the shield. When ebr raised the bitrate limit to 1000 I was experimenting with it. I had my shield hooked up with cat7. I was getting an issue like this. I switched it over to wireless and the issue was resolved.

1 hour ago, sooty234 said:

There is a latency issue with a wired connection on the shield. When ebr raised the bitrate limit to 1000 I was experimenting with it. I had my shield hooked up with cat7. I was getting an issue like this. I switched it over to wireless and the issue was resolved.

Yeah, one thing to remember with all of these streaming boxes is that 99% of people use them wireless.  People don't wire their homes anymore because it just isn't necessary.

So, I imagine all the development and testing is weighted heavily toward wireless connections.

sooty234

You realize that this is an Nvidia issue? This used to be a much bigger issue, but Nvidia supposedly fixed it. It got better, but it isn't completely fixed. 

rbjtech
14 hours ago, sooty234 said:

I don't appear to have any issues using wired (I wire all my fixed devices, keeping bandwidth for mobile device that have no choice but to use wireless) - by using iperf3 locally I can max the 1Gig to about 110 Mbytes/sec - which is in the correct ballpark.    On Windows I can get 117 Mbytes/sec - so it's not the max it should be I agree.

Remember if using HTTP, emby still is the 'man in the middle' (ie overhead) and even if using FILE, the Shield still has to get the remote file system using SMB and remount to the App - presumably with a (small) overhead. 

As I'm sure you are aware, iperf3 is a direct client/server based app - so no intermediate services are used.

(this is using the analiti wifi analzer which has a built in iperf client and/or server)

Edited by rbjtech