Live TV transcoding-temp folder filling up, runaway ffmpeg process

Bo0gi3man

Bo0gi3man

I've been having this problem consistently for the past few months.  I primarily use Emby on Roku.  More frequently I need to restart the emby server because it becomes unresponsive.  I've found that the disk is filling up due to 100s GBs of files in D:\Media Browser\Transcode\transcoding-temp.  To get around this I stop the emby server, remove the transcoding-temp directory, and restart.

When this occurs, there are no active clients showing under the 'Active Devices' in the Dashboard, but there is still an active ffmpeg process runn ing and creating new files.

Right now as I type there is a runaway ffmpeg process from watching TV this morning from 9 AM - 11 AM.  It is currently 10:10 PM, and all clients have been stopped.  I usually hit the 'home' button on the Roku remote to stop playback.  I will try to find a repeatable way to reproduce the issue.

activity.PNG

ffmpeg.PNG

Activity2.PNG

logs.zip

Hi.  The 100% solution to this will be to never exit a currently playing playback session with the "Home" button.  Due to how the Roku OS works, the app is never given an opportunity to stop the stream when you do this which makes this scenario possible.

Bo0gi3man

Thanks for the workaround ebr.  I'd like to see a server side solution for this as well since I don't think I can "train" the rest of the household to always hit the back button.  I imagine pressing the "netflix" button on the remote during playback could potentially cause the same issue?

BTW, I reproduced the issue this morning by just pressing the "home" button to stop, so that does seem to be culprit.

Some sort of server side option that assumes a client has stopped if they haven't requested any new segments in the past X minutes would be great.  Thanks!

Edited by Bo0gi3man

We do catch this server-side. The problem is there appears to be a specific scenario in which it doesn't happen that we're still trying to chase down.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 11:19 AM, Luke said:

We do catch this server-side. The problem is there appears to be a specific scenario in which it doesn't happen that we're still trying to chase down.

Does the Roku send playback status while viewing videos as some other clients do?
If could we not shut down any Live TV for that device if no status message have been received in x minutes?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cayars said:

Does the Roku send playback status while viewing videos as some other clients do?
If could we not shut down any Live TV for that device if no status message have been received in x minutes?

Yes, and that is exactly what is supposed to be happening.

• Like 1