Please validate my setup on RPI4

th0r76

Hi all,

I currently run Emby server on an old 2500k that eats my electricity bill, it's noisy and big. I want to move to a RPI4 setup and I wanted to validate with you some assumptions.

1. Is Hardware acceleration (decoding) working on PI4? H.265?

2. If I will run the server in a container, will the HW acceleration continue to work?

3. For HW acceleration to work can I keep the default Raspbian or I could move to Libreelec that apparently has better H.265 decoding support for RPI4?

Many thanks

2. If I will run the server in a container, will the HW acceleration continue to work?

It works in containers such as Docker, but may require setup on your part to make the GPU visible to Emby Server.

3. For HW acceleration to work can I keep the default Raspbian or I could move to Libreelec that apparently has better H.265 decoding support for RPI4?

What about Debian or Ubuntu?

8 hours ago, Luke said:

What about Debian or Ubuntu?

Any particular reason for the two? What would make them superior? 

Many thanks

8 hours ago, Luke said:

It works in containers such as Docker, but may require setup on your part to make the GPU visible to Emby Server.

GPU? We're talking Pi4 here. Or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, th0r76 said:

I meant the graphics hardware acceleration.

1 hour ago, th0r76 said:

We have packages built specifically for them.

reneboulard
1 hour ago, th0r76 said:

I have have setup 2 raspberrypi4b with emby server on them.  One with rasbian 32 bit and the other with ubuntu 64bit.  Both work fine, however the hardware acceleration on the ubuntu version does not work.

You cannot expect the raspberrypi to transcode more than 1 stream at a time, it can only transcode one 720p stream at a time.  1080i or higher will not transcode real time.  Deinterlacing and cropping will be done in software not in hardware.  All my library is in X265 720p,  RaspberryPI can transcode it to X264 in hardware at 2,5x because there is no Deinterlacing or cropping.  But an ATSC signal at 1080i can not be transcoded at more than 0.8x so not fast for viewing real time.

Hope this help

4 minutes ago, reneboulard said:

I have have setup 2 raspberrypi4b with emby server on them.  One with rasbian 32 bit and the other with ubuntu 64bit.  Both work fine, however the hardware acceleration on the ubuntu version does not work.

You cannot expect the raspberrypi to transcode more than 1 stream at a time, it can only transcode one 720p stream at a time.  1080i or higher will not transcode real time.  Deinterlacing and cropping will be done in software not in hardware.  All my library is in X265 720p,  RaspberryPI can transcode it to X264 in hardware at 2,5x because there is no Deinterlacing or cropping.  But an ATSC signal at 1080i can not be transcoded at more than 0.8x so not fast for viewing real time.

Hope this help

Many thanks, it does.

I don't plan any concurrent streams, it's for when i am travelling so my intention is to keep all my media for direct play mostly. I was asking about LibreElec because I read that they are most advanced in supporting HW acceleration on PI.