HEVC playback issue

Heval

godbodian

Hey, haven't been in the boards or active in a while.. but I also had a similar issue with my HEVC files intermittently.

The lead I'm chasing is the notion that's it's not the codec itself per se (for my case) but the .265 codec AND the IMAX configuration.

Because several of my HEVC files run PERFECTLY. Just a thought, in the event we're all within a similar boat. 

EDIT: Okay scratch that.. I can't figure out why this is happening.. Everything's seemingly identical, yet some files play perfect and others don't.. and everything plays perfectly regardless, if played thru VLC but the appropriate codecs don't seem work in the native Windows 10 player. I've looked at every correlation but to no avail.

I saw where Plex and others were also having similar issues. Someone said to use MKVToolnix to repair the files but didn't leave any step by step of the repair or workaround.

Shit I dunno..

Also I've tried everything within this thread also. I have the same issue/error just not to the extent as @Heval, as my library is more mixed and for whatever reason some of my HEVCs work.

Edited by godbodian

Someone said to use MKVToolnix to repair the files but didn't leave any step by step of the repair or workaround.

It's simple, you just drag it into mkvtoolnix, then have it create a new mkv without making any changes. It's a good way to repair a poorly muxed mkv.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Luke said:

It's simple, you just drag it into mkvtoolnix, then have it create a new mkv without making any changes. It's a good way to repair a poorly muxed mkv.

Why are other players like VLC having no problems playing it? It's undoable to repair bulk of movies.

On 09/01/2021 at 20:18, godbodian said:

Hey, haven't been in the boards or active in a while.. but I also had a similar issue with my HEVC files intermittently.

The lead I'm chasing is the notion that's it's not the codec itself per se (for my case) but the .265 codec AND the IMAX configuration.

Because several of my HEVC files run PERFECTLY. Just a thought, in the event we're all within a similar boat. 

EDIT: Okay scratch that.. I can't figure out why this is happening.. Everything's seemingly identical, yet some files play perfect and others don't.. and everything plays perfectly regardless, if played thru VLC but the appropriate codecs don't seem work in the native Windows 10 player. I've looked at every correlation but to no avail.

I saw where Plex and others were also having similar issues. Someone said to use MKVToolnix to repair the files but didn't leave any step by step of the repair or workaround.

Shit I dunno..

Also I've tried everything within this thread also. I have the same issue/error just not to the extent as @Heval, as my library is more mixed and for whatever reason some of my HEVCs work.

As I play around and try to figure out what's happening, your description is perfect. I found also 2 exactly same files one is playing fine other not. It's really strange what's happening.

2 minutes ago, Heval said:

Why are other players like VLC having no problems playing it? It's undoable to repair bulk of movies.

I responded to his question, and at this point we don't know if we're talking about the same thing as your issue so the answer may or may not apply to your case. But VLC has been around forever and it's had lots of workarounds added over the years to deal with poorly or improperly muxed files, whereas the player we're embedding on android doesn't have as much of that yet. It just takes time and troubleshooting to build that sort of resilience into the player. But this is a very common question. People say, oh my file plays with VLC, so it must be perfectly good and it's the other player's fault. Well often times, the bug was actually in the software that created the video file, and Vlc just happened to add a workaround to handle it.

• Like 2

godbodian

Hey all,

Yeah there was a enough space between my response and yours @Luke, undoubtedly because you were busy with things of greater importance, I figured out my own specific workaround for my personal case.

@Heval I don't know your specific situation, but I'm using Emby via Windows and thru more troubleshooting found that the issue was only present when viewing on my Hisense Android TV, (Got a 75" from Best Buy over the holidays as a promotion.) as the other TVs (5 Chromecasts) naturally evoke the transcoding needed whereby it's not an issue. So essentially I just added the VLC for Android app and switched to external player.

So I'm good and just a heads up, I took off a couple years or so and didn't know if Emby would still be here or what form it would take.. I'd like to say GREAT JOB, from one of your OG fans. You guys done came along way since MB2, extenders and MCM. LOL.

✊🏾👑

Edited by godbodian

So I'm good and just a heads up, I took off a couple years or so and didn't know if Emby would still be here or what form it would take.. I'd like to say GREAT JOB, from one of your OG fans. You guys done came along way since MB2, extenders and MCM. LOL.

Thanks for the feedback !

On 19/01/2021 at 02:54, godbodian said:

Hey all,

Yeah there was a enough space between my response and yours @Luke, undoubtedly because you were busy with things of greater importance, I figured out my own specific workaround for my personal case.

@Heval I don't know your specific situation, but I'm using Emby via Windows and thru more troubleshooting found that the issue was only present when viewing on my Hisense Android TV, (Got a 75" from Best Buy over the holidays as a promotion.) as the other TVs (5 Chromecasts) naturally evoke the transcoding needed whereby it's not an issue. So essentially I just added the VLC for Android app and switched to external player.

✊🏾👑

happy you have a workaround.
Switching to external player works but you can not seek during playback or resume a movie on certain resume point.
When ever playing the HEVC file, there is no issue, as it starts with transcoding. when ever you go seeking or pauze/play, it will stop transcoding and start Direct Stream. And there starts all the issues :(

@Luke If you want I can send a file to you to investigate.
Also it seems only be happening to .mp4 files and not .mkv

Edited by Heval

godbodian
On 1/24/2021 at 2:47 PM, Heval said:

happy you have a workaround.
Switching to external player works but you can not seek during playback or resume a movie on certain resume point.
When ever playing the HEVC file, there is no issue, as it starts with transcoding. when ever you go seeking or pauze/play, it will stop transcoding and start Direct Stream. And there starts all the issues :(

@Luke If you want I can send a file to you to investigate.
Also it seems only be happening to .mp4 files and not .mkv

@Heval on my set I can seek, rewind and skip just fine. You're right, I can't resume tho. Ironically, old playbacks and resumes from the internal Emby player so transfer over but if I watch from whatever point, the beginning and/or that resume point, Emby won't pick up what was watched on the external player.

Honestly for me, this is good enough. Not ideal but mostly functional. I've been apart of this community for a while and what I find is eventually the Emby team gets around to it, as long as the feature is not a contradiction to future plans.

15 hours ago, godbodian said:

@Heval on my set I can seek, rewind and skip just fine. You're right, I can't resume tho. Ironically, old playbacks and resumes from the internal Emby player so transfer over but if I watch from whatever point, the beginning and/or that resume point, Emby won't pick up what was watched on the external player.

Honestly for me, this is good enough. Not ideal but mostly functional. I've been apart of this community for a while and what I find is eventually the Emby team gets around to it, as long as the feature is not a contradiction to future plans.

How about Chromecast support? I have the same issue on Chromecast and for that case you can not use external player. Its means I can not watch anything on my TV.

godbodian
On 1/26/2021 at 4:11 PM, Heval said:

How about Chromecast support? I have the same issue on Chromecast and for that case you can not use external player. Its means I can not watch anything on my TV.

Yep. I'm all a go. I can cast thru the app directly and/or through the external player (I have to options for casting to the same TV), just fine.

Thank God. 🤞🏾👑

(Sorry you're in such a hard spot, seriously.)

• Like 1