HEVC playback issue

Heval

Is there any update on this? I have the same problem.  Playing h265 content on my Android phone (Xiaomi mi 9t pro) AND Chromecast ultra are extremely choppy to the point of being unwatchable. The audio plays fine.

This only happens when the stream is direct stream and the file is not being transcoded. When transcoding is done, it's fine. The problem is I can't force the transcoding. It looks like it's random. I

The nerd stats looks fine and the bit rate is really low. I have proper network at home that can get more than 500mps wireless.

@Happy2Play please move my posting to a new topic, and add my other two duplicate postings from tonight. Thanks.

Screenshot_2020-11-27-21-56-18-424_com.mb.android.jpg

• Like 1

Is there any update on this issue? I have the same with my android Xiaomi mi 9t pro and Chromecast ultra. Network quality here is above 500mbps. External players are doing fine. Even Chromecast streaming with yatse is doing fine. But not when using Emby player. Can this please be fixed?

update:
I downloaded the file locally on my phone to make sure the network is not the problem, and I'm still experiencing the same problem with Emby internal player. When ever I use external player, like VLC, it plays perfectly.

I have this problem also on desktop Firefox and Chromecast Ultra.

@Luke could you please have a look as my Emby is now totally useless because most of my content is HEVC. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Heval

I have logs, but they are so big and contains a lot of personal information, like my domain. Is there any way to share logs privacy friendly? I cant go through every thing, its too much. Is there any thing I can look in to for you?

edit:
do you need the server logs or ffmpeg-transcode log?

edit2:
found some strange behaviour or chromecast. When ever starting the movie from the start, it transcodes and plays fine. When ever you skip to some other part of the movie, transcoding stops and direct streams starts and from there very choppy framerate.

Edited by Heval

• 2 weeks later...
Skyhigh69

I have the same issue, emby on the pc will play these type of files, wont on the nvidia shield, but if I tell emby to use an external player(VLC) on the shield it works fine. below is the type I was testing on.

emby.thumb.png.2173299e3eecd10a677e0874b62cdd84.png

Edited by Skyhigh69

4 hours ago, Skyhigh69 said:

I have the same issue, emby on the pc will play these type of files, wont on the nvidia shield,

Hi.  What app on the Shield (or are you chromecasting to it)?  Also, what happens when you try to play them?

4 hours ago, Skyhigh69 said:

I have the same issue, emby on the pc will play these type of files, wont on the nvidia shield, but if I tell emby to use an external player(VLC) on the shield it works fine. below is the type I was testing on.

emby.thumb.png.2173299e3eecd10a677e0874b62cdd84.png

I don't know if you have the same issue as you are referring to h264 files. I have only the issue with h265 and direct stream ( as far as I know). This in android Emby internal player and Emby in Chromecast. Using different player or different casting ( like yatse ) the issue does not appear.

Edited by Heval

Skyhigh69
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What app on the Shield (or are you chromecasting to it)?  Also, what happens when you try to play them?

The above pic is the file running on the PC but the ATV app for shield, when I play the above files, every season 1-12 (HEVC Main 10),  the circle keeps spinning around and never starts.. if I tell it to use an external player such as vlc or kodi it will work so this tells me its an emby issue, I like using emby player because I like my tv episodes to auto play one after another :)

Edited by Skyhigh69

4 minutes ago, Skyhigh69 said:

looks like the android emby app version Im using is 1.8.54g

Can you please try what I linked to above? Thanks.

@Luke
is this solution also for my problem? I'm happy that others are getting their solutions on this thread but could you please give any response to my issue? Could you have a look at the logs I provided?

Skyhigh69
19 hours ago, Heval said:

@Luke
is this solution also for my problem? I'm happy that others are getting their solutions on this thread but could you please give any response to my issue? Could you have a look at the logs I provided?

did you try the apk? if not do that, Luke will give the atv some love later..

19 hours ago, Heval said:

I tried it and it's an older version than I have also it didn't solve any.

Latest test on my side was done on Emby Server: 4.5.3.0 (latest stable)  - Client: Xiaomi mi 9t pro with latest stable (Android 10) and latest Android Emby beta 3.1.69.

I will send you a link that demonstrates the issue.

If this is not being solved in near future I have to look for alternatieves as my complete h265 library is now useless :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heval said:

I tried it and it's an older version than I have also it didn't solve any.

Can you try this please:

Edited by cayars

7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Can you try this please:

This is not an older version but is a different app that's currently in testing. This app can be installed on the Shield TV along with the ATV version.

I installed it on top of my current Emby. Is this the way to do? Now in play store I have update available for Emby. So I assume the provided version is installed? If I go to Emby android app and look at the version it's still 3.1.69. I didn't solve the issue. 

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are you still running into this with 3.1.73?

Just tried on my phone and still having this issue. I have found another HEVC video that has exactly same bitrate and stuff but plays fine. This is really confusing. Did you find anything in provided logs?