Live tv stream limit

niiknok

On 11/25/2020 at 5:32 AM, cayars said:

I'm not sure why anyone would think Emby can "magically" give you more streams then you pay your provider for.  Emby can share the stream however so you could have 4 or 5 people watching the same stream but it's still just one stream from the provider.  When you go with a provider that gives you 3 to 5 streams things open up tremendously as you can then record and watch things simultaneously.

Would you mind elaborating on that stream sharing Emby does?
Knowledgebase doesn't have information about that, at least I didn't see any.

I will be using Emby for LiveTV as well and would be interested knowing more details about it.
Thank you!

Let's say you have a 3 tuner setup be it hardware or m3u.  That will allow any 3 channels to be viewed at one time (3 streams).

You have this "tuner" setup in Emby.

Person 1 is watching CNN (1 stream in use).
Person 2 is watching Fox News (2 streams in use).
DVR kicks in and records show on CNN (still 2 streams in use).
Person 3 is watching Fox News (still 2 streams in use).
DVR starts recording a show in CBS (now 3 streams in use).
Person 4 starts watching CNN (still 3 streams in use)
Person 5 starts watching CBS (still 3 streams in use)

Person 6 TRYs to watch ABC (fails as no more streams are available). This person can however tune to CNN, Fox News or CBS and share the stream Emby already has open.

Did that help?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, cayars said:

Did that help?

Yes, it did.

One follow-up question though:

Does it matter the way the stream gets played (direct play vs. direct stream vs. transcoding)?

Thank you!

Normally it wouldn't matter at all.

For example from the previous example Person 1 could be playing back CNN that's transcoded down and streamed to a cell phone.  Person 4 could be your cousin at his house playing on his Roku and the stream is Remuxed while Emby Server itself is saving the CNN recording as a TS file.

Think of this way:

Stream -> Emby Server -> Client

The first side is Emby consuming the stream in the manner it can get it (hardware tuner, m3u, etc).
It then transforms the file if needed for Emby use if needed.  By this I mean Emby could be piecing back segments from an HLS stream if that's what it's getting.

Then Emby serves this reconditioned stream out to clients in the format they need.  In this case you can think of it like 10 people all watching Top Gun (1986) from your Emby Server and that Emby will direct play, remux or transcode (SW or HW) as needed.

On 11/26/2020 at 1:47 PM, neik said:

Yes, it did.

One follow-up question though:

Does it matter the way the stream gets played (direct play vs. direct stream vs. transcoding)?

Thank you!

Only in that depending on how it is being played depends on how much processing power is needed on the server. For example, direct play requires virtually no processing power on the emby server to get it to the end device. Where transcoding will take significantly more, especially if the server does all cpu ( not gpu ) based transcoding.

On my setup I have a mobo/cpu that cost 100$ and supports gpu transcoding, I can only run about 4 transcode streams at one time before things get choppy. No idea how many direct streams though.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
gortech
On 11/25/2020 at 12:19 AM, niiknok said:

I know that, ill just stick on my iptv service paying premium on emby is NON SENSE  streaming your own server and pay for live m3u list.🤣🤣🤣

You think these features magically appear. These coders give up their time and efforts to provide and maintain this awesome program. Many features are free. The small fee they charge for premium....... Just pay the one time amount and forget about it. If your running IPTV then you are already saving a pile of money. Even monthly, the emby team is only asking a very small fee for features that are unrelated to streaming your own library. But don't you worry. You keep complaining and using for free while people like me help add value to the program instead of just ungratefully complaining. If you don't like it then code your own! Sometimes you gotta pay to play! 

On 11/24/2020 at 10:49 PM, niiknok said:

I know that, ill just stick on my iptv service paying premium on emby is NON SENSE  streaming your own server and pay for live m3u list.🤣🤣🤣

You seem to be trying to conflate Premiere with content itself which has nothing to do with Emby Premiere. Emby (especially with Premiere) is about enhancing YOUR media with organization, enhancing it with metadata, graphics, indexes, trailers, cover-art, cast lists, ratings, etc), and other information directly related to the media. With this information it allows you to do other things like search for a person to see what movies, shows or music is related to them. It can tell you what media you've played, partially watched especially nice for Series as well as help control access to this media so younger kids don't get access to things that are too mature for them. Premiere gives you access to all software and devices we support as well as fully unlocked clients that can access your media from computers, tablets, mobile as well as game systems, smart TV and of course web.

Premiere expands Emby's ability to transcode media with the use of hardware GPUs as well as give you brand new features such as Cover-art manipulation to TV/DVR functionality that is smart.  You can use hardware tuners for cable or Over the Air (OTA) to Internet streams from M3U files. It allows you to share one inbound stream with many outgoing streams as well as recording it. Premiere provides the best Electronic Programming Guide service in the business and makes this available to you at no additional costs for US, Canada and the UK.  The guide alone would cost you $15 to $25 a year if you had to get it elsewhere, plug wouldn't be built in.

You may have more content than Netflix has but what good is it if you can't share, search, see graphics, descriptions, cast and be able to play it back from other places then where the media resides? Otherwise at best you have a glorified VCR where all content is only usable on one TV, less you physically move the media to another location.

https://emby.media/premiere.html

• Agree 1