Brand New to Linux and Lost - Can't Add Media

mrcraigc

mark-in-dallas

I am on Linux Mint Cinnamon as well,, and 6 or 8 months ago I was also completely new to Linux, and I screwed things up royally but mastermind11 was there to help, and far more patient than could have been asked of him.  In the end I ended up doing a complete reinstall and starting from scratch because before becoming completely lost I'd done some stupid things that I didn't know how to undo.  But, mastermind11 was extremely helpful throughout, and even though I had no clue about how to do some of the things he wanted me to do, I found that I could get all of the answers with simple Google searches.  

In short, don't give up.  Know that Google is your friend, and that while Linux isn't quite as newbie friendly as Windows, once you ge tthe basics down you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Two quick tips:

1.  Dropping into the shell means opening a terminal window.

2.  The ls -l command given in a terminal will list the permissions, ownership and the assigned group of the current directory and any folders/files within it.

3.  and just as an aside, I would chown the drive to your username and grant the emby user accoun t access by adding the emby user account to your group, and vice versa.

Remember, Google is your friend.  If chown sounds like a weird foreign dish to you, a Google search will quickly tell you that its a linux command used to change ownership

Edited by mark-in-dallas
  • Like 1

mrcraigc

Thanks. I feel like I'm getting closer. Still doing something wrong though as I get the message "No such file or directory" when I try to chown the drive.

MediaMogal

Unless I missed it I'm not seeing any mention of Fast Startup in Windows.  That must be shut off or you will have problems with NTFS drive in Linux. I had to do this for my roommates machine with Manjaro. If you by chance do not have Windows any longer there is a command to use to clean what Linux considers dirty drives. I'll see if I can find the post for it and post the info here.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Edited by MediaMogal
  • Thanks 1

mark-in-dallas
6 hours ago, mrcraigc said:

It shows me that root has ownership and I can't change it. Onward...

You need to acquire root access before making changes to media owned by root, and can do that by prefacing any commands with sudo. 

I.e., sudo chown new_owner : old_owner directory_name

mastrmind11
45 minutes ago, mark-in-dallas said:

You need to acquire root access before making changes to media owned by root, and can do that by prefacing any commands with sudo. 

I.e., sudo chown new_owner : old_owner directory_name

slight correction:

sudo chown correct_user:correct_group directory_name

@mrcraigc post the output of ls -l from the root of your media directory.  you can get there by using the cd command and typing in your mount directory

• Like 1

mrcraigc
5 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

slight correction:

sudo chown correct_user:correct_group directory_name

@mrcraigc post the output of ls -l from the root of your media directory.  you can get there by using the cd command and typing in your mount directory

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 21 12:06 mydrive
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Nov 24 19:06 usb-WD_easystore_264D_5647483236585347-0:0-part2

mastrmind11
17 hours ago, mrcraigc said:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 21 12:06 mydrive
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Nov 24 19:06 usb-WD_easystore_264D_5647483236585347-0:0-part2

now post the output of ls -l from the folder where emby can see your music.  if theres a ton of stuff in the folder you can just paste the first few lines.

mrcraigc
7 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

now post the output of ls -l from the folder where emby can see your music.  if theres a ton of stuff in the folder you can just paste the first few lines.

-l /home/craig
total 176
drwxr-xr-x  2 craig craig   4096 Nov 24 02:39 Desktop
drwxr-xr-x  3 craig craig   4096 Nov 21 20:32 Documents
drwxr-xr-x  2 craig craig   4096 Nov 25 19:09 Downloads
drwxr-xr-x  2 craig craig   4096 Nov 20 14:52 EmbyLib
-rw-rw-rw-  1 craig craig 130319 Nov 25 21:16 MakeMKV_log.txt
drwxr-xr-x  3 craig craig   4096 Nov 20 14:18 Music
drwxrwxr-x  2 craig craig   4096 Nov 22 14:32 New
drwxr-xr-x  2 craig craig   4096 Nov 25 16:51 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x  2 craig craig   4096 Nov 20 13:41 Public
drwxr-xr-x  2 craig craig   4096 Nov 20 13:41 Templates
drwxr-xr-x 18 craig craig   4096 Nov 24 19:54 Videos
drwxrwxr-x  2 craig craig   4096 Nov 22 14:32 Volume

mrcraigc

Progress! Well emby is seeing the drive now but it is reading everything on it, not just the folder with the content I want to share.

mastrmind11
15 hours ago, mrcraigc said:

Got it! I just had to add the folder extension.

Thanks for all the help! Happy Thanksgiving.

glad you got it working but what did you do to get it working?  just want to make sure you don't run into other problems down the road.

mrcraigc
5 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

glad you got it working but what did you do to get it working?  just want to make sure you don't run into other problems down the road.

It was mainly adding some lines to the Samba config.

mastrmind11
1 hour ago, mrcraigc said:

It was mainly adding some lines to the Samba config.

well you're certainly full of useful info.  hope it works out for you in the end....

glad i could help...

Edited by mastrmind11

mrcraigc
3 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

well you're certainly full of useful info.  hope it works out for you in the end....

glad i could help...

I just retraced my steps. In the samba conf I added this line under global settings.

usershare owner only=false

The error message I got when trying to share told me to do this.

I appreciate all the help.

• Like 2