HEVC Rext Profile not direct playing.

pwhodges
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

Comparing 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 doesn't add more detail. It rather adds more fine-grained color values which makes zero sense for cartoons or anime....

Though, I don't have any plausible idea why they might be doing like that.

Well, I don't know quite how "10-bit" relates to these values, but the reason it (10-bit) is widely used in anime is precisely for the greater colour resolution.  When you have the plain clean colours of anime used in a gradient, banding quickly becomes obvious and offensive, and using 10-bit reduces this problem significantly.

Paul

softworkz
Just now, pwhodges said:

Well, I don't know quite how "10-bit" relates to these values, but the reason it (10-bit) is widely used in anime is precisely for the greater colour resolution.  When you have the plain clean colours of anime used in a gradient, banding quickly becomes obvious and offensive, and using 10-bit reduces this problem significantly.

Yes, you are correct in that matter. When I said "fine-grained" I didn't mean a larger number of color values (as can be achieved with 10bit vs 8bit), but instead I meant more fine-grained colors in a spatial way. Those image formats like yuv420, 422 or 444 are about chroma-subsampling, which means for example in case of yuv420, that the luminance values are stored at full image resolution while the chrominance values are stored at a smaller resolution, etc etc. (I'm a bit tired today...Wikipedia is your friend)

sooty234

That link I provided, explains it very well. And I agree with softworkz. You wouldn't notice a difference between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2, but I think there are many people in the world, that believe if they have more, they'll notice a difference. I expect the guy that re-encoded the video believes that.

• Like 2
sooty234

So here's a question. Is it transcoding because it doesn't support the pixel format or the codec variant? Both?

softworkz
21 hours ago, sooty234 said:

That link I provided, explains it very well. And I agree with softworkz. You wouldn't notice a difference between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2, but I think there are many people in the world, that believe if they have more, they'll notice a difference. I expect the guy that re-encoded the video believes that.

I totally missed that link that you had posted. Yes, it's a very good (and short) explanation!

• Like 1
softworkz
21 hours ago, sooty234 said:

So here's a question. Is it transcoding because it doesn't support the pixel format or the codec variant? Both?

I can't tell without seeing an ffmpeg log..

• Like 1