Problem with accessing home screen Emby Theater for windows

jackthedoc

jackthedoc

When I open the windows 10 version of Emby Theater on my laptop or Smart-TV connected NUC I am presented with the home screen.  If I select "watch TV Series" (one of my collections) I can scan through the folders, select a series and watch an episode; but when I attempt to return to the home page so I can select and watch a movie, or listen to music, I am blocked.  Clicking on the back arrow at the top left of the screen has absolutely no effect.

Is this a known problem? Is there a workaround (short of closing the program and reopening it)?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

I should add that I am not experiencing this anomaly in my Apple TVos, my iOS or my iPadOS..

jackthedoc

Neither of my windows 10 machines has a remote.  It's mouse or nothing.  And both NUC and PC refuse to move back to the home screen after one of the options has been chosen.  If I select the TV series for example I cannot go "back" to the home screen to select Movies or Music options.  I have to close the app and restart it to gain access to the home screen...

I should add this is the app from the windows 10 store.  I have tried to install the windows program but all I end up with is a mass of programmes in several subdirectories and I cannot find a setup.exe file for the life of me.

Thanks for reading

John Norris

jackthedoc

I am running the latest app avaiable from the windows 10 app store. In response to your question I logged onto the app store to find the version number, but it just doesn't seem to be listed there.  So in answer to your question all I can say is "the latest version"

Thanks

John Norris

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, jackthedoc said:

I am running the latest app avaiable from the windows 10 app store. In response to your question I logged onto the app store to find the version number, but it just doesn't seem to be listed there.  So in answer to your question all I can say is "the latest version"

Thanks

John Norris

Click user icon and scroll to the bottom.  Or Active devices on Dashboard will tell you the version also.

jackthedoc

Emby for windows 1.1.325.0

I always watch in full screen

Thanks for your interest

John Norris

but when I attempt to return to the home page so I can select and watch a movie, or listen to music, I am blocked.  Clicking on the back arrow at the top left of the screen has absolutely no effect.

Is this during video playback that you're referring to?

jackthedoc

Here's what happens: I open the Emby Theater App on my windows 10 NUC.  I select 'TV series' from the selection at the top of the screen.  I have 'movies' 'TV series' 'Classical Music' 'contemporary music' as my options.  I watch an episode of 'x'. when I have finished, pressing the back arrow at the top left of the screen takes me back to the icon view of all the selections in the TV series collection.

Pressing the top left back arrow on that screen does not take me back to the home screen; the screen that is first displayed when the app is opened. So if I want to watch a movie or listen to some music I am obliged to close the app and then reopen it.

As this problem occurs on both my laptop AND my smart TV-connected NUC I can't put this problem down to some device-specific conflict in the software.

Is there a setting in my Emby Server (also running on a windows 10 machine) that may be responsible for this?

As I said earlier, the back arrow does return me to the home screen on both my iPadOS and tvOS versions of the Emby Theater.

Thanks for yur help

John Norris

Happy2Play

What display mode is being used?  I am guessing Auto and it defaults to TV.  Do you get the same results in Desktop?

But I have no issue clicking back arrow multiple times, backing out of playing media all the way back Home Screen or even Home button on keyboard.

jackthedoc

Thanks Happy2Play. That seems to have sorted it out.

I went into the menu on each of my devices on which I have installed Emby Theater and set the Display to the appropriate type of device: "desktop" for windows and "mobile/tablet" for the iOS device/s.  The windows machines now show the list of available sources at the top of the home screen, just as it does on my server.  I haven't noticed any real change in the iPad version but, then again, I wasn't having an issue with it.

Again, a big thank you

John Norris

jackthedoc

You very kindly helped me setup the various Emby apps on my iPadOS, tvOS and windows 10 devices; but now I need a bit more help to establish a stable and consistent performance on all devices and platforms.

I should add that my Emby server resides on my home desktop computer that runs windows 10 pro (latest iteration). To date, I have not had any issues when broadcasting to my iPadOS or tvOS devices. 

The only problems seem to occur when I attempt to broadcast to my smart TV-linked NUC (an i7 powered windows 10) or to an X-box. Micrsoft is involved in both of these; is there a message there? 

I have tried to use DLNA protocol with the X-box as connecting to the Emby Server using the web-browser is a bit cumbersome... But both connections leave much to be desired. And both could do with a tweak because of the stutter and buffering.

Additionally, I have just started to have issues with the windows 10 NUC - yesterday I watched programs for a total of 3 hours and the transmission and reception was faultless.  But today I began to experience a few seconds of stuttering video and audio then a frozen video with stuttering audio.  The only way to stop this was to comletely close the Emby Theatre app and restart it.  But this was a rather hit and miss process. The video file would immediately restart, then play for a variable time period before it froze and emitted a stuttering audio.  I rebooted the Emby Server, rebooted the NUC, deleted the windows app and reinstalled it but none of these produced a consistent outcome.

So I guess what I am asking is: Is this a known issue with windows machines? Are there any settings that may be tweaked to give a smooth playback on the NUC and the X-box?