BluRay DTS

QbertMedia

QbertMedia

So I have spent nearly 200 hours trying to get BluRay rips to work correctly with DTS Audio. Even using lossless I have the exact same problems. The Audio & Video is completely un watchable it stutters. I even thought maybe my 5 year old Sony ES receiver might be the problem so I purchases a Denon AVR-X3600H and it is even worse. I also had a Roku that I tried with exactly the same results. I upgraded all the USB cables, network cables. I have tried every combination of AndroidTV options and options on both receivers. I have no problem re-encoding the MKV files if that will help but I want to keep the DTS 7.1. I am willing to buy a different device (FireTV, Roku etc) if the problem is with the AndroidTV in the Sony.  I thought that was the problem until I tried the Roku Express+ 

Setup 

TV: XBR-65X750D Running AndroidTV 
Receivers: Denon AVR-X3600H and Sony STR-DA3700ES
Emby Applications: AndroidTv 1.8.28g & Roku Express+ Roku SG 4.0.4

Not really sure what other information you need I have the same exact results with EVERY bluray that has DTS. 

Thanks

Robert

vdatanet

Somewhere there is a bottleneck, how do you have everything connected? The bitrate is somewhat high, if the network is ok perhaps the clients do not support such a high bitrate.

QbertMedia

Up until today I was only testing on Ethernet. Then I thought since Sony is to cheap to use gigabit ethernet I would try some testing on 5ghz Wifi (router is about 25 feet from TV). I am having the same results with WIFI so I am back to testing on Ethernet.

Test Files I initially tested the 400mbps file it played fine but I noticed it was transcoding since it was over bit rate.  I noticed that for some reason "AUTO" was limiting us to 80mb (in the android client app) so I changed the setting to 100mbps (which is the highest available) and started testing over.  (Testing all the files listed below)

60-mbps-hd-hvec-10bit.mkv 
80-mbps-hd-hvec.mkv
110-mbps-hd-h264.mkv
120-mbps-4k-uhd-h264.mkv
400-mbps-4k-uhd-hvec-10bit.mkv

So these all play fine. 120 & 400 are transcoding. Something weird I noticed while 100mbps is the highest setting in the androidTV app. When I select 100mbps the stats for nerds shows 110mbps is the maximum. It plays the 110mbps file fine without transcoding. 

One thing to note these test files have no audio. I have no problem playing any Dolby encoded rips (dolby atmos, truehd etc.) it is DTS bluray only (DTS DVD's work fine) This does make sense since DTS has such a high frame rate.

rbjtech

SFN is showing frame rate as 24.42 fps - this is not normal.  It should be either 23.976 for film (likely) or maybe 24/25.

I don't think the issue has anything to do with bandwidth - as you can play the video for 100 Mbit/sec just fine (as expected) - the issue is the DTS mux is not in sync with the video - for some reason.

The Denon Plays DTS (both 768/1500Kbps), DTS-TrueHD and DTS-X just fine - so I know it is not the receiver (I have a Denon in this AV range).. 😉

This comes down to the rip - have you tried a different example source ?  There are many DTS sound examples on the AV Cinema sites that you could try.

https://thedigitaltheater.com/dts-trailers/

You are not going to get uncompressed Audio via your Sony TV (via ARC) unless it has eARC (but DTS 5.1/7.1 (DTS-ES) should be fine), but there are zero reasons why the Roku plugged into the Denon should not be able to play everything without issues - and if it plays DD/THD ok - then this proves your physical setup is not the problem.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

QbertMedia

So I downloaded 4 of the DTS demo files. 3 of the 4 severely stuttered and were unwatchable. 1 of the 4 worked fine. So the only one that played through properly was a DTS-HD HRA file the other 3 were DTS-HD-MA and DTS-X files.

QbertMedia

Ok I think I am trying to do something that is impossible with a tv that doesn't have eARC. So I need an external emby client any suggestions?

Edited by QbertMedia

rbjtech

Did you not try a standard DTS file ? 1,536 Kbps ?

This is 'DVD Standard' DTS - and is 5.1 or 7.1 (DTS-ES) and should play perfectly well via ARC.

DTS-HD/X will not play via ARC as the bandwidth is too low - I'm surprised it is even attempting it.   The DTS-HD stream has a standard DTS 'Core' inside it - which should be played when the player/device realises it can't play the DTS-HD stream - this is where I think the issue is - your device is saying it can play it - when it in fact cannot.

DTS-HD HRA is High Res Audio - which is a much lower bitrate - so that may be ok over ARC.

Try the standard DTS files - if they work ok, then this is your issue.  Then we need to find out why your device is reporting it can play DTS-HD when it cannot.

QbertMedia

Yea standard DTS has worked fine all along. It is just the DTS HD stuff that wasn't working. I cant believe it took me this long to figure out.