WiFi DLNA "Play to" recommended speakers?

mtjj
Go to solution Solved by mtjj,

Can anyone recommend (reasonably) cheap wifi connected speakers that I can reliably "Play To" from emby? I want to connect to Emby either from the emby app or the web client, and play to the speaker, I don't want the hassle of connecting to the speaker with some proprietary app with a different UI and *playing from* the server, if that makes sense.

I believe it needs to be a DLNA DMR product, but that's probably old terminology since the only search results I can find date back at least 2 years....

This seems to be to be a fairly simple request, but judging by lack of search requests everyone else is doing it differently :-)

Friends of mine have Sonos, but they seem to require the sonos app? You can't just share directly and connect to them from emby? Or have I got that wrong? 

• 2 weeks later...
canada99

This is interesting to me, dlna speakers 🤔 would that get rid of the sound delay bluetooth speakers have second or longer out of sync 😲

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

... I picked up a Sonos One SL (the one without the microphone, for the paranoid) and it works really well with the DLNA plugin. Exactly what I was looking for,  playing from my Emby library without the hassle of another app - I needed the Sonos app for setup, but I can play from the Emby web app or android app.

However, it seems from other discussion threads the Sonos plugin only works if Emby server is running on Windows though? Not really an issue for me since the DLNA plugin seems to work fine anyway, but I'm updating this thread for reference in case anyone else finds it in a search.

@canada99I'm not sure about delay, I mean I'm not sure how to measure whether the delay is better or worse than bluetooth. If you have anything you want me to test, I can try.

• Like 1

canada99

I ended up buying a mini pc i5 and use SPDIF plugged into it and works great @mtjj Now I can get rid of my computer tower burning 1200watts of power 😁

• Like 1