Emby-theater on PI 4

ropeguru

ropeguru

So with all the work going on with putting emby-theater on a PI 4, why do you bother? 

I have tried multiple setting combinations on a PI 4 4GB device and it is totally unusable. Video is jumpy and worthless, interface is extremely slow, etc..

I used the .12 image build to flash on an sdcard and even insured all the gpu setting were enabled. Then I tried with all of them disabled. All combinations I tried still have the theater as unusable.

Am I missing something? (I know, asked be fore in another thread)

Looking at top on the PI, I see four emby-theater processes running. Are there supposed to be that many? But even with 1 of them taking 128% cpu when a video is playing, I am still at 50+% idle.

So where is the disconnect here as it seems there is plenty of resources left.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ropeguru,

I tried as well all different kinds of installations on A RPI4.

The only reply I got was ' did you disable hardware acceleration'  which does not solve the issue.

In my forum post 'Trying to setup EMby Theather on RPi 4, help pls' I tried several things, but I got no further replies or advice.

IMHO emby theater version .12 is not suited for raspberry 4.

I ended up with a standard LibreElec Kody installation with an Emby-con addon on my RPI4, now it plays even  X265 smooth!

I am looking forward for emby theater .13 version. I hope it will match KODY/EMby-con

Edited by EdwinH

GrotShot

As RopeGuru states, it is just a stutter fest. Straight Raspbian install with the arm64.deb Theater installed is unusable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Lostboy66

Any updates on this.  I just tried 3.0.15 and it also stutters horrible on native h.264 files, and navigation is really slow.    By comparison, Kodi is very smooth, no playback issues.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
OurfamilySpot

Just curious, seems like there isn't anyone working on this, I tried the all in one image for raspberrypi Emby Theater and had the same experiences, lots of lags, slow menu responses.   Is there any update?     Does anyone have Emby Theater working on a RaspberryPi 4, and can they share how they did it?  What base os, config, etc?    Would really like to do this.

basset

Would be great to have this working. Currently I have a pc under each TV that hosts Emby theatre, but they need upgrading. So raspberry pi could be a cheaper option for me

• 1 month later...
EdwinH
On 11/23/2020 at 5:02 PM, EdwinH said:

Ropeguru,

I tried as well all different kinds of installations on A RPI4.

The only reply I got was ' did you disable hardware acceleration'  which does not solve the issue.

In my forum post 'Trying to setup EMby Theather on RPi 4, help pls' I tried several things, but I got no further replies or advice.

IMHO emby theater version .12 is not suited for raspberry 4.

I ended up with a standard LibreElec Kody installation with an Emby-con addon on my RPI4, now it plays even  X265 smooth!

I am looking forward for emby theater .13 version. I hope it will match KODY/EMby-con

Same here,

on a Raspberry Pi4 a clean install of emby theather any movie stutters, unwatchable.

The only advise I got in the past was to disable hardware acceleration, witch did not solve the issue at all.

After my disappointing experience with Emby theather, I installed LibreElec Kody (again) with Emby-con plugin , it plays all movie/series stutter free and even plays H265 without a glitch !

I am looking forward for an emby theater 4.x.x version, hope it will match KODY/EMby-con . SInce version 3.0.12 to 3.0.15 where a no show.

Edited by EdwinH