DTS is getting transcoded to Dolby Digital

Richard Branches
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Richard Branches

Device: Ematic Jetstream with Android 9

Emby version: 1.8.28g

My device doesn't support DTS-HD Master Audio passtrough so the option for that codec is turned OFF in settings, while the DTS one is ON.

Audio output is set to "Auto" on both, the device and Emby.

When I play any video with DTS, it gets transcoded to Dolby Digital.

When I play any video with DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS core should passtrough, instead, it gets transcoded to Dolby Digital.

Other apps like VLC and MX Player passtrough the codec correctly to the AVR.

I'm not signed up to the beta at the moment.

Edited by Richard Branches

This would indicate that your system is not reporting support for DTS audio but please let's look at an example.

Richard Branches

On the device's audio settings the DTS toggle is turned ON when using "Auto", that's why MX player and VLC works.

I'm going to test Emby by connecting my computer directly to the AVR, I'll let you know later what happens.

Richard Branches

I tested the instalable version of Emby Theater and the Windows Store version.

On the instalable version, DTS and DTS-HD passed-through to the AVR as long as the options were turned ON in the app's settings.

On the Windows Store version, DTS and DTS-HD didn't passthrough but transcoded to Dolby Digital. There aren't audio options on the Windows Store version so I assume the codecs are passed-through according to what the AVR supports, so it seems Emby app is not detecting this correctly, am I right?.

I thought we were talking about an Android device here.  How did you install the Windows store version of Theater on that?

Richard Branches
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

I thought we were talking about an Android device here.

Yes, we're still talking about the Android TV device, but I wanted to test the apps on the computer as well.

How did you install the Windows store version of Theater on that?

I installed the app directly from the windows store. On this app Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus passtrough correctly but Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD MA are getting transcoded to Dolby Digital like I already mentioned.

What an HTPC supports and what an Android device supports are two completely different things.  I do not believe the Windows store app can support DTS.  The player in that app is limited for use on more platforms (mobile).

Can we please look at specifics for an example of your original issue with the Android device and app?

Thanks.

Richard Branches
Just now, ebr said:

What an HTPC supports and what an Android device supports are two completely different things.  I do not believe the Windows store app can support DTS.  The player in that app is limited for use on more platforms (mobile).

Ok.

1 minute ago, ebr said:

Can we please look at specifics for an example of your original issue with the Android device and app?

The device detects the AVR's audio capabilities for every codec, and although TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio passtrough are not supported, it shows as detected, however, that is not my concern, my concern is that DTS core is not passing through.

FrostByte

Have you tried enabling the DTS-HD option so that ATV passes it through and letting the AVR handle pulling the DTS core?  Do you get sound if you do that?

Richard Branches

Yes, I tried that and it still gets transcoded to Dolby Digital.

• Sad 1

Richard Branches

If it helps, this is what the device detects when using Auto. I sent the log on 11/10/2020 at 11:19 pm:

Auto.png.a9524abfd8a20a6cb60c3478c1f40cbe.png

FrostByte

Have you tried setting that to manual and disabling DTS-HD also?  I know you said you tried it within Emby, but it would seem that Android incorrectly detected what your AVR can support

6 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

it would seem that Android incorrectly detected what your AVR can support

It isn't just about what the AVR can support.  The entire chain needs to support it - including the Android device.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Richard Branches said:

If it helps, this is what the device detects when using Auto. I sent the log on 11/10/2020 at 11:19 pm:

Hi.  This will help:

18 hours ago, ebr said:

Please play one of these items for just a few seconds and then send a log from the app.

Richard Branches
5 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Have you tried setting that to manual and disabling DTS-HD also?

I haven't but I will try and I'll reply as soon as I can test it.

6 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

but it would seem that Android incorrectly detected what your AVR can support

Are you saying that the detection result is fake?, the AVR has all the codecs that appear as "detected" in the above picture.

Richard Branches

Hi @ebr, you didn't received the log? I sent it last night at 11:19 pm.

Richard Branches
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

The entire chain needs to support it

So it seems the device doesn't support DTS passtrough even if it appears as detected in the picture?

• Solution
30 minutes ago, Richard Branches said:

Hi @ebr, you didn't received the log? I sent it last night at 11:19 pm.

I have found it now and the reason you are getting an audio conversion is indeed because the device (or something in the chain) doesn't really support what it says it does.  Being an "off-brand" box, this kind of thing can sometimes happen.  We do attempt to bitstream your audio but, when that fails, we fall back to converting it to DD.

11-10 23:17:55.801  6595  6595 E EventLogger: playerFailed [eventTime=0.85, mediaPos=0.00, window=0, period=0
11-10 23:17:55.801  6595  6595 E EventLogger:   com.google.android.exoplayer2.ExoPlaybackException: com.google.android.exoplayer2.audio.AudioSink$InitializationException: AudioTrack init failed: 0, Config(48000, 252, 48000)

Richard Branches
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

You never told me that

Yes I did, it was in here:

"If it helps, this is what the device detects when using Auto. I sent the log on 11/10/2020 at 11:19 pm"

Anyway, thank you for confirming that the device doesn't support DTS, I already imagined that, but I wanted to have a confirmation from an expert like you.

Have a nice day.

Richard Branches
On 11/11/2020 at 9:11 AM, FrostByte said:

Have you tried setting that to manual and disabling DTS-HD also?  I know you said you tried it within Emby, but it would seem that Android incorrectly detected what your AVR can support

Sorry for the very late reply, I tried to select the options manually and it still gets transcoded to Dolby Digital, oddly, in other applications such as Kodi it does work when the DTS option is selected inside the app whether it's setup manually or with "Auto" in Android audio settings.

Anyway I'm going to stick with Dolby Digital for the time being.

Thank you.