DS416Play HW transcoding stopped working, is present in config.

dexus

My emby server stopped using the vaapi hardware transcoder on my DS416play.  It uses software transcoding only.  In the transcoding section "advanced" is selected, and the vaapi hw is listed and detected as usual.

In the startup log i found "-ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag" in the ffmpeg startup.. looks like it disables vaapi somehow.
I have a lifetime premiere subscription, so it should be enabled.  Here's my server startup log, and a transcoding log.

It was working fine after we initially had problems with the new version, but now, out of the blue it stopped working.

I have tried: Restarting the server, Restarting the whole NAS, turning on and off transcoding in the "transcoding" section, checked permissions for the emby user.

Any help appreciated.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-280a9899-0b3c-41f1-a8e5-2137e05c7951_1.txt hardware_detection-63740337236.txt

On 11/7/2020 at 9:29 AM, dexus said:

In the startup log i found "-ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag" in the ffmpeg startup.. looks like it disables vaapi somehow.

Absolutely not. It rather does the opposite. On Synology, GPU devices are often reported as not enabled:

image.png.58137b496c4b97f5ce2bc32b95a8c0b9.png

The startup flag makes Emby ignore the incorrectly reported IsEnabled flag.

On 11/7/2020 at 9:29 AM, dexus said:

It was working fine after we initially had problems with the new version, but now, out of the blue it stopped working.

This cannot have worked before (with the file shown in the ffmpeg log) with a full transcoding because your Atom CPU (CherryView) is not capable to hardware-decode 10bit HEVC video. 

Emby does the right thing in the ffmpeg log 

image.png.453ed29f5a7e98a86cc5c15378169ad5.png

But then it does something wrong: it assumes that it can upload the 10bit video to the hardware and do the conversion there, but that fails.
This seems to be due to a bug in the detection of color format support. I will investigate that.

I would assume that VAAPI transcoding for other videos (H.264 and non-10bit HEVC) still works. Can you confirm this?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

The DS416Play does not have an atom processor.  It has an Intel Celeron N3060 Braswell.  It does support Hevc decode in hardware, but I could not find in the Intel spec-sheet any information about the bitrate.. so you might be right about the 10-bit support.

However.. and this is me asking.. How come it doesn't encode in hw?  I get that it has to use a software decoder to read the 10-bit hevc file (probably) but how come it doesn't use the HW 264x encoder when transcoding?
   I am in no way an expert here.. so I might be asking something silly, but it sounded logical to use the hw encoder to save cpu..

1 minute ago, dexus said:

but how come it doesn't use the HW 264x encoder when transcoding? 

On 11/9/2020 at 4:20 AM, softworkz said:

But then it does something wrong: it assumes that it can upload the 10bit video to the hardware and do the conversion there, but that fails.
This seems to be due to a bug in the detection of color format support. I will investigate that.

PS: "it" means Emby Server

Edited by softworkz

Sorry.. missed that 😄 Thanks for investigating 👌

I can confirm that hw transcoding works with other formats.

Edited by dexus