transcoding-temp folder filled

CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy

Just reporting that Emby filled my transcoding drive which made quite a mess outside of Emby as well. I've been testing Live TV with Emby and I had noticed that after a stream dies on Roku, Emby continues to keep it in the dashboard. I'm guessing this is related, maybe killing that stream from the dashboard leaves the temp files behind? Is there a way to block Roku from using the server since they make a mess?

CharlieMurphy

It's a 120GB SSD that I don't care about. Plex has never used more than 20GB so I assumed they could share it. Emby was at 94GB. That's not normal, right?

How are you exit the Roku application? If you use the "home" button to exit while a stream is playing the Roku has no way to tell the server it has left. Roku does not give developers an OnDestroy event which would link to the OnDestroy() routine if the application had one. All Android apps work this way. Why Roku decided to eliminate the normal protocol of having the app get a few seconds to cleanup before being exited is beyond me.

When you press HOME the Roku rudely exits the application without letting the application signal the server it has left or anything else. Basically the Roku starves the application process then kills it whenever you press the HOME button. The server should be cleaning up these left over files once it notices the Roku has left. But sometimes if you start the application up again within 60 seconds after exit it might think you still need that stream.

When you exit the Roku application I assume you press HOME. Once you have done this do you open the Emby app again within 60 seconds?

I've tried to beg and plead with Roku to give us onDestroy. Even made a Star Wars R2D2 reference in the post below and never got a reply back from Roku.
see here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Developer-Program/Please-give-us-onDestroy-as-an-event/td-p/515902

The Roku has problems with LiveTV when using HOME to exit the video player rather than pressing back.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

CharlieMurphy

Honestly I leave news channels or just anything on and muted a lot while I work. I don't always see what happens, but I turn around to the Roku themed screensaver. I often don't get the opportunity to back out. I'm not doubting you at all but I'm curious how does Plex handle this? I don't have experience with live TV on Plex, does it have the same issue on Roku?

They must have the same problem. But how you work around it is entirely individual. This is a common annoying problem with Roku and Live TV. I apologize we cannot do better than we are. We are trying hard. Roku makes this very difficult and our pleas fall on deaf ears. Unfortunately even HD-Homerun app on Roku has the same problem if it transcodes on the unit. It will lock the tuner. It is a problem Roku isn't interested in solving because it isn't making them revenue. They aren't shoveling advertising into your Live TV streams done through Emby. There is less incentive to help.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

No option of a heartbeat or dead connection detection between server and Roku app? 

Indeed. Progress reports. That is what happens but something is locking the tuner. The tuner has to stop before you can delete the session.

1 hour ago, CharlieMurphy said:

I don't always see what happens, but I turn around to the Roku themed screensaver.

I missed this the first time. If you are playing an item and inside the video player when the screen saver kicks in it means you paused the item (.. or it is stuck on retrieving for some reason). If you pause the item (..or it is stuck on retrieving) and then press HOME on the Roku remote that might cause this scenario of a locked tuner.

Edited by speechles

CharlieMurphy

I have left the Roku remote out of reach to confirm it isn't my input. Something is making my live tv setup less than perfect anyway so I think "stuck on retrieving for some reason" is possible. I'm pretty sure the "are you still watching prompt" is off. I was wondering if Roku itself was wrongly detecting that I wasn't present. Whatever my issue is, I'm not giving up. This is the first time it has endlessly cached and filled a drive though and that's harder to deal with than just dropping a stream.

On a lighter note, sitting on Roku's home button while watching something is a time honored tradition for me. I made a "no remotes on couches" rule but it hasn't stuck yet.

When watching LiveTV make sure to press Playback Correction once. That should make it more resilient to those stuck on retrieving errors. But it will come at a cost as the Emby server will employ ffmpeg to act as the man in the middle to the Live TV stream. FFmpeg will convert the video and in doing that correct any errors in the bitstream. The Roku is not tolerant at all of faults during MPEG2 decoding.

The Roku MPEG2 decoder does not handle missing keyframes well at all. The video will lock up and stop rendering while audio continues. If you see this happening at that point use the playback correction button and those problems should be eliminated but keep in mind it is at the cost of Emby having to run ffmpeg over the stream to correct it.

• Like 1

CharlieMurphy

Super informative, thank you.

"The Roku is not tolerant at all of faults during MPEG2 decoding."

Do Android TV clients handle it better?

2 hours ago, CharlieMurphy said:

Super informative, thank you.

"The Roku is not tolerant at all of faults during MPEG2 decoding."

Do Android TV clients handle it better?

YMMV. If it is a true Android TV box with latest and greatest Android OS then it should perform better with MPEG2.

• Like 1