Emby sound gone

Guest kovibalko

Guest kovibalko
47 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Have you tried removing all the unnecessary plugins - DLNA, port mapper etc.  

In the logs there is a lot of DLNA and portMapper 'noise' - so worth disabling those if they are not in use.

where can i do this?

rbjtech

In the plugins section under Advanced.   Reboot/reload emby once they have been removed.  You can always reinstall them should you need to.

SamES
6 hours ago, One2Go said:

My conclusion it either has to do something with ffmpeg or some other EMBY internals.

Any idea how to replace the ffmpeg programs with newer versions or a reinstalling of the ffmpeg parts?

Thanks for assisting.

Apparently it is DirectPlaying, so in that case, ffmpeg is not involved, and really the Emby server does nothing other than provide a URL.  After that it is up to the OS, disks, server hardware, network and TV to make it all work.

On 03/11/2020 at 23:14, kovibalko said:

I watched the movie afterwards and the problem occurred. He played Directplay in Emby.

If it is definitely DirectPlaying then I would disconnect the receiver and listen via the TV and prove that it still drops out through the TV speakers.  If it does, then we go to the next step.  If it does not, then there could be a HDMI/AV related issue

One2Go
4 hours ago, SamES said:

Thanks for assisting.

Apparently it is DirectPlaying, so in that case, ffmpeg is not involved, and really the Emby server does nothing other than provide a URL.  After that it is up to the OS, disks, server hardware, network and TV to make it all work.

I am really trying to narrow this down. The Emby server is installed on a QNAP NAS 253Be The two discs are HGST 4TB discs running in mirror configuration. Latest QNAP OS, 8GB of memory, CPU Intel Celeron J3455 4 cores running at 1.5GHz plus directly connected via hardwired network from QNAP to Roku. I am the only one that accesses the NAS plus some audio formats are fine while the problem is with DDP 5.1. Certainly this QNAP NAS has the horsepower to perform as a file server to a Roku without any problem. The next time I will restart the NAS before streaming this way nothing should interfere but somehow I believe the problem is with the Emby server. When direct streaming CPU is running at about 10% and RAM less than 20%.

I only came to the conclusion that this has to do with Emby when I watched an episode of the original Stand series and MPC said DD 2.0 while my Dennon receiver said that this was a 4 channel DD audio. It is direct streaming how could this be sent as a 4 channel audio from Emby when directly played with MPC it is 2 channels.

Finally this problem was introduced sometime after 4.5.2.0 and I first noticed it in 4.5.3.0 any chance to look into the change log and see if something there would point to why the audio breaks up?

SamES
23 minutes ago, One2Go said:

I am really trying to narrow this down. The Emby server is installed on a QNAP NAS 253Be The two discs are HGST 4TB discs running in mirror configuration. Latest QNAP OS, 8GB of memory, CPU Intel Celeron J3455 4 cores running at 1.5GHz plus directly connected via hardwired network from QNAP to Roku. I am the only one that accesses the NAS plus some audio formats are fine while the problem is with DDP 5.1. Certainly this QNAP NAS has the horsepower to perform as a file server to a Roku without any problem. The next time I will restart the NAS before streaming this way nothing should interfere but somehow I believe the problem is with the Emby server. When direct streaming CPU is running at about 10% and RAM less than 20%.

I only came to the conclusion that this has to do with Emby when I watched an episode of the original Stand series and MPC said DD 2.0 while my Dennon receiver said that this was a 4 channel DD audio. It is direct streaming how could this be sent as a 4 channel audio from Emby when directly played with MPC it is 2 channels.

Finally this problem was introduced sometime after 4.5.2.0 and I first noticed it in 4.5.3.0 any chance to look into the change log and see if something there would point to why the audio breaks up?

So just to clarify, your issue is on Roku, the original issue here is on the LG client.  We need to make sure we don't get these two issues mixed up.

You mention direct streaming, this again is a different issue.  If it is direct streaming, not direct playing then the audio will be being converted by the server.  Can you please confirm if playback is via DirectPlay or DirectStream.  You can check the server dashboard during playback.

One2Go
2 hours ago, SamES said:

So just to clarify, your issue is on Roku, the original issue here is on the LG client.  We need to make sure we don't get these two issues mixed up.

You mention direct streaming, this again is a different issue.  If it is direct streaming, not direct playing then the audio will be being converted by the server.  Can you please confirm if playback is via DirectPlay or DirectStream.  You can check the server dashboard during playback.

So sorry about the post but in an earlier post I mentioned that I wasn't sure if this was the correct thread but since nothing was said I continued but have no intention of muddling the issue here..

Just to draw a line under I will investigate the direct play versus the direct stream from the Emby Server to the Roku. If it is DirectPlay you mentioned that Emby just passes on a link if it is DiectStream the server will process the audio. Hitting the bed at 2:00am but will find out in the morning what the Dashboard says when playing back the episodes.

Thanks for helping and giving a free education to us.

SamES
3 hours ago, One2Go said:

If it is DirectPlay you mentioned that Emby just passes on a link if it is DiectStream the server will process the audio.

No problem, always happy to help out.  Yes, Roku handles DirectPlay/DirectStream the same way.  

One2Go

Thanks again for your interest. Checked this morning several TV episodes with DDP5.1 as well as a movie with DTS 5.1 and all do the same thing DirectPlay. The Roku passes on the elementary audio to the AVR and it displays the correct format and channel count.

I definitely think that I eliminated the error cause being in the chain from the Roku HDMI connector onward. Expanse Season 5 episodes play flawless from the Amazon App on the Roku but have these periodic audio dropouts when the file is played from the Emby HDs.

If this audio dropout is only the case for DDP5.1 but not AAC or DTS any idea what that could point to?

Edited by One2Go

Guest kovibalko
18 hours ago, SamES said:

Thanks for assisting.

If it is definitely DirectPlaying then I would disconnect the receiver and listen via the TV and prove that it still drops out through the TV speakers.  If it does, then we go to the next step.  If it does not, then there could be a HDMI/AV related issue

Due to a power failure, my Denon x1600 amplifier was in service, until then I watched the movies on the TV sound, about 3 movies, the error did not occur. But when the amplifier returned, after resetting to factory settings, the sound stopped for Mulan (4k hdr mkv dd5.1) on Sunday night. Yesterday I deleted the unnecessary plugins you suggested and the sound for the evening movie (the 5fth wave DD5.1 4k hdr remux mkv) did not stop. (both the amplifier, emby, the tv have the latest firmware) If it reappears, do I start to suspect the amplifier or the cable? it's weird because pcm multi channel stereo as i listen to tv or youtube, the sound never stops. only in the case of emby so far ....

One2Go
2 hours ago, kovibalko said:

Due to a power failure, my Denon x1600 amplifier was in service, until then I watched the movies on the TV sound, about 3 movies, the error did not occur. But when the amplifier returned, after resetting to factory settings, the sound stopped for Mulan (4k hdr mkv dd5.1) on Sunday night. Yesterday I deleted the unnecessary plugins you suggested and the sound for the evening movie (the 5fth wave DD5.1 4k hdr remux mkv) did not stop. (both the amplifier, emby, the tv have the latest firmware) If it reappears, do I start to suspect the amplifier or the cable? it's weird because pcm multi channel stereo as i listen to tv or youtube, the sound never stops. only in the case of emby so far ....

This is how I eliminated the HDMI cable and the audio setup that reproduces the sound by playing the identical episodes 1st from Emby and than from the Amazon app, I used the Expanse season 5. Emby playback had audio dropouts Amazon app did not, so clearly since both methods use the same audio path, it was either in the Emby configuration or the file itself. So find an internal app that streams the content NOT via Emby but from the vendor's source directly and than repeat for the same content from Emby. This way you can eliminate if the problem is in your audio setup or in the other devices.

SamES
2 hours ago, One2Go said:

This is how I eliminated the HDMI cable and the audio setup that reproduces the sound by playing the identical episodes 1st from Emby and than from the Amazon app, I used the Expanse season 5. Emby playback had audio dropouts Amazon app did not, so clearly since both methods use the same audio path, it was either in the Emby configuration or the file itself. So find an internal app that streams the content NOT via Emby but from the vendor's source directly and than repeat for the same content from Emby. This way you can eliminate if the problem is in your audio setup or in the other devices.

Can you repeat this test with the TV speakers and confirm that it still drops out with Emby?

I assume from Amazon it is streamed from their server, and Emby is a local file, so it's not really a direct comparison.

One2Go
2 minutes ago, SamES said:

Can you repeat this test with the TV speakers and confirm that it still drops out with Emby?

I assume from Amazon it is streamed from their server, and Emby is a local file, so it's not really a direct comparison.

I only have the AVR for sound no TV speakers. Remember for me it is the Roku. What leaves the HDMI connector on the Roku and gets sent to the AVR should be the same audio signal since the Expanse video file was an Amazon WebDL and the Expanse episode streamed from the Amazon app was also indicated in the AVR having DDP5.1. Is it possible that those two audio sources are different, the source for the file was indicated as coming from Amazon? I just wanted to make sure that is was not the HDMI cable or some setting on the Denon AVR.

rbjtech
15 hours ago, kovibalko said:

Keep testing.  If removing the Plugin's has worked - then I suspect that the issue was the constant probing of your AVR by Emby/DLNA was causing the issues on your AVR.

SamES
53 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

then I suspect that the issue was the constant probing of your AVR by Emby/DLNA was causing the issues on your AVR

Good point, that could be an issue

Guest kovibalko
On 3/10/2021 at 10:54 AM, rbjtech said:

Keep testing.  If removing the Plugin's has worked - then I suspect that the issue was the constant probing of your AVR by Emby/DLNA was causing the issues on your AVR.

i deleted all the plugins so nicely that i was wondering why it doesn't give a nice cover and description for the movie :), i reinstalled MovieDB. Then I lock my hands in prayer now, if that’s just the problem. Thanks for the advice. Testing starts ....

• 2 weeks later...
Whiskeyjack1972

Hi, I've been experiencing something similar on the LG Emby app. I'm running my Emby server on a win 10 pc. From time to time the sound will cut out during a program and to get sound back I skip forward and then skip back. For the past couple of days it has been happening with increasing frequency. I have checked the emby server log and I dont see any errors around the times it happens. As suggsted above I have uninstalled  a lot of the plugins but that doesnt seem to help.

In terms of setup, the tv is connected to the home network by ethernet cable, not wifi although I tried wifi yesterday but no difference. The emby pc is on the same network. Sound is handled by an Onkyo amplifier connected to the LG tv via the HDMI ARC socket.

I just tried running the sound through the TV only, amp switched off, and the sound cut out again. Skipping fwd then back fixes it until the next occurrence.

Edited by Whiskeyjack1972
Update

Guest kovibalko

Hi. Are you saying that the sound went the same way while listening on the tv speaker? (For me never) what is the exact type of tv?

Whiskeyjack1972
1 minute ago, kovibalko said:

Hi. Are you saying that the sound went the same way while listening on the tv speaker? (For me never) what is the exact type of tv?

Hi, yes, exactly the same. Sound just cuts out suddenly, use the skip forward (30 secs for me) then skip back and sound is back on. Over the past couple of days its been happening every 20 mins or so then sometimes it'll happen twice in 5 mins. TV is an LG 49SJ80.

Guest kovibalko

Yes one by one the same mistake. Interesting.
I would even ask you what type of HDMI cable you have, although I doubt it would affect anything (for me, delock 4k 2.0). I have a UJ series TV, UJ701. Maybe these tvs, after the updates (the update is automatic for me, so I don't know when the update will happen) would intervene in the digital audio? I'm just guessing :) Did the sound go away from other sources and pcm stereo sound, or haven't you tried?

Whiskeyjack1972
10 minutes ago, kovibalko said:

Yes one by one the same mistake. Interesting.
I would even ask you what type of HDMI cable you have, although I doubt it would affect anything (for me, delock 4k 2.0). I have a UJ series TV, UJ701. Maybe these tvs, after the updates (the update is automatic for me, so I don't know when the update will happen) would intervene in the digital audio? I'm just guessing :) Did the sound go away from other sources and pcm stereo sound, or haven't you tried?

Its a rather expensive Sondstrom HDMI cable but since the sound cuts out on TV speaker as well I dont think that is a factor. Sound doesnt cut out on other sources which is why I just bought the dvd boxset of the tv series I was watching yesterday so I dont have to put up with the cut outs!

One2Go

If you read in one of my posts, try to play back the media using an internal app, like YouTube, Netflix or Amazon Prime. If you get no drop outs using either Amplifier or TV speakers it will tell you something about your setup and devices. I get the dropouts using Emby and a Roku Ultra but the weird thing it was on Direct Play. Then I changed the way the audio is delivered from HDMI Auto (DTS, DD) to Stereo Only because the audio was DD 2.0 and it was now showing Direct Stream with no audio drop outs. However I must say that this must be further tested and more data needs to be collected to make an educated guess on what causes these audio idiosyncrasies.

Edited by One2Go

Whiskeyjack1972
15 hours ago, One2Go said:

If you read in one of my posts, try to play back the media using an internal app, like YouTube, Netflix or Amazon Prime. If you get no drop outs using either Amplifier or TV speakers it will tell you something about your setup and devices. I get the dropouts using Emby and a Roku Ultra but the weird thing it was on Direct Play. Then I changed the way the audio is delivered from HDMI Auto (DTS, DD) to Stereo Only because the audio was DD 2.0 and it was now showing Direct Stream with no audio drop outs. However I must say that this must be further tested and more data needs to be collected to make an educated guess on what causes these audio idiosyncrasies.

Thanks for the suggestion. I copied a 90 min episode to a USB drive, connected that to my TV and then used the LG photo & video viewer to watch it - no dropouts. 

Guest kovibalko

i never had when i watched the movie from an external winchester only with the emby app. Unfortunately, better quality formats are no longer always handled well by the TV's internal player.

Whiskeyjack1972
12 minutes ago, kovibalko said:

i never had when i watched the movie from an external winchester only with the emby app. Unfortunately, better quality formats are no longer always handled well by the TV's internal player.

Yes, I dont see this as a solution. I dont really want to lose all the benefits of Emby but I dont see any solutions. By the way, I still have an old Plex server I use for music so I tried watching the same content on Plex and the same thing happened. Except Plex does not have the skip time options so it was more difficult to restore sound.

SamES
22 hours ago, kovibalko said:

My suspicion is that this is related to network issues.  If it is DirectPlaying from Emby server then there is nothing being done to the file, the TV is taking it exactly as stored on disk.  And it may just be that the network module in this model TV is having issues.  Are you using a wireless or wired network connection to the TV?

I know you will say the Netflix works fine, but it is actually quite a low bitrate compared to many ripped files, and is an a format optimised for streaming so it can better handle network issues