Dashboard doesn't react

JonF

I'm not much of a Linux guy, but I had an old laptop so I installed Ubuntu on it and have been running it as a dedicated Emby server for a couple of years. Yesterday I took a look at it and there was an update.  I installed it.

Now when I go go to localhost:8096 I get localhost:8096:/web/index.html. I seem to recall there was an issue with that, but don't remember what. None of the menus or links do anything. If I go to localhost:8096 again I get "localhost refused to connect".

I uninstalled:

sudo apt-get remove emby-server

and reinstalled, but immediately got the same thing. Help, please?

Well it definitely is now.  I did:

sudo service emby-server restart
systemctl status emby-server

and got "Active (running)". Still no reaction on the dashboard.

Made sure it was stopped, then:

sudo service emby-server start &> start.txt

And then it was running.  start.txt is blank.

Edited by JonF

alucryd

You won't get any output from launchaing the service, if you want to have more you need to launch it by hand:

sudo -u emby /opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server

You should probably upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu though, it won't kill your laptop or be any slower, and you'll have systemd instead of upstart to manage your services.

Edited by alucryd

alucryd

Wait, you do have systemd, you said you managed to run systemctl? Then you shouldn't use service, but systemctl to start the service:

sudo systemctl restart emby-server
sudo systemctl status emby-server

Maybe reboot before doing that because you probably messed it up running it using service first.

Edited by alucryd

It appears to be fixed.  I upgraded Ubuntu to 20.4. I haven't tested everything, but auto starting the server, managing the server,  and playback on a client are working.

The only loss appears to be that tap-to-click is noticeably less sensitive and it's now hit-to-click.