Server Configuration Backup Fails

Pyro2577

Pyro2577

HI People,

Just recently the Server Config Backup Plugin has been failing. 

2020-10-30 08:18:49.401 Info Server Configuration Backup: Backup of profile Default Started
2020-10-30 08:18:49.419 Error TaskManager: Error
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.6.0.4
    Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
    Operating system: Linux version 5.8.0-26-generic (buildd@lcy01-amd64-025) (gcc (Ubuntu 10.2.0-13ubuntu1) 10.2.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.35.1) #27-Ubuntu SMP
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.7
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 6
    Data path: /var/lib/emby
    Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/mnt/qnap/Backups/Emby Backup - 2020-10-30 08.18.49 - Auto/profile.txt' is denied.
     ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.IO.FileStream.WriteNative(ReadOnlySpan`1 source)
       at System.IO.FileStream.FlushWriteBuffer()
       at System.IO.FileStream.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
       at System.IO.Stream.Close()
       at System.IO.StreamWriter.CloseStreamFromDispose(Boolean disposing)
       at System.IO.StreamWriter.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
       at System.IO.TextWriter.Dispose()
       at System.IO.File.WriteAllText(String path, String contents)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.WriteAllText(String path, String text)
       at MBBackup.ServerEntryPoint.ExecuteBackup(BackupProfile settings, CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress, Boolean isAuto)
       at MBBackup.Entities.ScheduledBackupTask.Execute(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.ExecuteInternal(TaskOptions options)
    Source: System.Private.CoreLib
    TargetSite: Void WriteNative(System.ReadOnlySpan`1[System.Byte])
    InnerException: System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
    Source: 
    TargetSite: 

I have user permission set correctly as Auto Organise plugin can write and delete from any folder. I have changed the Backup folder and it says permission denied. It creates the folder in the backup location and fails on the profile.txt.

Any ideas? This was working about a month ago. 

embyserver.txt

Edited by Pyro2577

Hi,

Access to the path '/mnt/qnap/Backups/Emby Backup - 2020-10-30 08.18.49 - Auto/profile.txt' is denied.

That would suggest that permissions to the Backup folder might need adjusting.

Pyro2577
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi,

Access to the path '/mnt/qnap/Backups/Emby Backup - 2020-10-30 08.18.49 - Auto/profile.txt' is denied.

That would suggest that permissions to the Backup folder might need adjusting.

That’s what I thought too. But it creates the folder and profile.txt even though the file is blank. Permissions for the smb mount are 0770 Gid=100 uid=1000. Medusa, Qbit are also in the group 100 and they have no issues writing to the folders. I can delete from Emby and as I said if I change the auto organise to that backup folder that plug-in can write no issue. It’s only the backup plugin that can’t write and I don’t know how to fix it. 

Edited by Pyro2577

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, yes we've seen this reported before but we're not sure what the issue is yet. It's a strange one because looking at the directory, the backup appears to succeed despite the error being thrown by the file system.

Pyro2577
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes we've seen this reported before but we're not sure what the issue is yet. It's a strange one because looking at the directory, the backup appears to succeed despite the error being thrown by the file system.

Thanks for getting back to me, you're about 3 days too late. hahah I installed a windows VM and put Emby on that, still in the process of moving everything over. I could not figure it out because Auto-organize plugin was able to write to the back up folder and any folder on the SMB share. it was just the configuration backup Plugin was the only thing that couldn't write. I have screwed up my ubuntu VM now trying to get Emby to write to the folder. I am going to have to dump the VM because i was changing permissions on folder and files all over the place trying to get it to work. At the moment Emby is part of every group including root just to get it to work. Somehow it now works but i know the whole system is not secure.

Would be good if you can let me know if you manage to fix this issue.

• 2 months later...

Hello Hello
Have the same Problem since a few days. Backup is failing with the error "Access to the path is denied".

Here the Errormessage:

Access to the path '/media/Emby-Backup/emby01/Emby Backup - 2021-01-17 03.21.23 - Auto/profile.txt' is denied.
at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.WriteAllText(String path, String text)
at MBBackup.ServerEntryPoint.ExecuteBackup(BackupProfile settings, CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress, Boolean isAuto)
at MBBackup.Entities.ScheduledBackupTask.Execute(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.ExecuteInternal(TaskOptions options)

It creates automaticly a new Backup folder and the file profile.txt after the backup starts. Then it breaks up.
I checked the permissions on the Backup folder: it is 40777 and 100777 on the profile.txt file. (See the attached printscreen). Permissions are the same as on the folders with a sucsessful backup (before date 2021-01.08).

So I un- and reinstaled the Backup plugin...is not changed anyting. My emby server is up to date 4.5.4.0. Ubuntu 20.04 with newest updates. The Backupfolder is writable with the commandline easely. 

in the Serverlog I found this:

2021-01-17 03:21:23.480 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 204 to 80.208.147.244. Time: 2ms. http://MYURL/emby/ScheduledTasks/Running/a1e4a7962c72ac5e491497598d1ee479?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Chrome&X-Emby-Device-Id=40963ce8-de3f-452f-aba2-312495d317dc&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.5.4.0
2021-01-17 03:21:23.501 Info Server Configuration Backup: Backup of profile Default Started
2021-01-17 03:21:23.511 Error TaskManager: Error
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.5.4.0
	Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
	Operating system: Linux version 5.8.0-38-generic (buildd@lgw01-amd64-060) (gcc (Ubuntu 9.3.0-17ubuntu1~20.04) 9.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.34) #43~20.04.1-
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.8
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 8
	Data path: /var/lib/emby
	Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/media/Emby-Backup/emby01/Emby Backup - 2021-01-17 03.21.23 - Auto/profile.txt' is denied.
	 ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	Source: System.Private.CoreLib
	TargetSite: Void WriteNative(System.ReadOnlySpan`1[System.Byte])
	InnerException: System.IO.IOException: Permission denied
	Source: 
	TargetSite: 

It is wired to me. Any idea?
Would be nice. Thanks in advanced.
Zovilla

emby_backup_error_01.png

Update: changed the Backup Path to another NAS but with NFS, not like the old with smb. This works now fine.

Having trouble with the old NAS...manually create folders files and write in to it is no problem. But if emby do it, some stuff works, some not. Emby is writing the .nfo files in the media library perfect. but some stuff like the backup will not work since a few days.

Sorry for the "not beieng a emby problem" post ☺️ 

Hi, Glad you got it working.  As for the old NAS if you care to look it's likely a permission problem so that's where I'd start looking.

Brian314

I have this same problem, but NFS is not an option for me.  My 1/20/21 backup ran fine.  Every day after that, the backup folder and profile.txt are created, then the backup fails (I could post log files, but they are the same as seen above).  Emby is running on an Ubuntu 20.04 VM.  I mount an SMB share in /etc/fstab with uid & gid = 998 (emby user).  The share has file & dir permissions of 755.  The SMB share is on a server running TrueNAS 12.0-U1.1.  I tried mounting an SMB share hosted by a different Ubuntu server, but got the same error when trying to run a backup.

If I set the backup location to a local folder i.e. ~/Downloads/Emby-Backup it works fine, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the backup.  I have tried looking at every possible permission problem I can think of, but I can't figure out why it just up and stopped working a few days ago.  I wish I knew what changed on my system at that time, but as of now (for me at least) configuration backups to an SMB share are broken.  

The error in the user log above is coming from the .net core runtime so currently I'm not sure what we can do about it, but in the near future we'll be updating from .net core 3.1 to 5.0 so we'll see if that helps with this. Thanks.