Weird new behavior on playback.

caradoc

Emby for MacOS v. 4.4.2.0, Emby for tvOS  v. 1.4.9 (0)

Open a playlist. Select a movie. Screen flickers to white and immediately starts playing the movie where it left off before - we used to get a screen that gave us the option to start from the beginning, or resume play.

This holds true across multiple users on tvOS, but iOS clients and web clients get the appropriate screen to choose starting from the beginning or resuming play.

22 minutes ago, ebr said:

Is this only when playing from a playlist?

Seems to be. We're also seeing the "backdrop" image being used in the tvOS "home" screen for "Next Up."

Confirmed. Any users other than the admin have that behavior (can't choose to play from beginning, get dumped directly into movie at last played mark) when choosing from a playlist, but not if they select the movie directly from the Media/Movies screen.

This may need to be moved to Mac OS Server - the behavior is the same on the web client in that selecting a movie from a playlist immediately starts playback from the last-played position.

Additional note: trying to select "Settings" at the top of the Emby home screen sometimes gets a duplicated "Search" tab instead of "Settings." Pressing "Back" and reselecting works.

55 minutes ago, caradoc said:

This may need to be moved to Mac OS Server - the behavior is the same on the web client in that selecting a movie from a playlist immediately starts playback from the last-played position.

I don't think this is specific to platform.  I believe that is by design.  It respects a resume point if there is one.

If so, the behavior has changed significantly. We used to be able to select a movie from the playlist and get the option of "start from beginning," or "continue watching."

Given that the primary user for this is an autistic girl, that change in behavior is... problematic.

2 hours ago, caradoc said:

We used to be able to select a movie from the playlist and get the option of "start from beginning," or "continue watching."

That was being done by the actual Apple TV player and, I think, I remember them changing that behavior in the OS a while back...

Just now, caradoc said:

we're seeing the same change in behavior in a web browser,

I don't think that is a change there.  I think clicking on a video in a playlist from the web app has always resumed if there was a resume point.  The same as if you clicked the play "arrow" on a poster in any other view.

If there's no way to revert it, is there a way to keep Emby from storing the last-played point for a given user? Starting from the beginning for every play would be preferable.

1 minute ago, caradoc said:

is there a way to keep Emby from storing the last-played point for a given user

Not for a user but for a library you could basically disable resume functionality with the resume settings there.

Just now, ebr said:

Not for a user but for a library you could basically disable resume functionality with the resume settings there.

Well, thank Ghu all of the kiddo's movies are in one library... Thanks!