DLNA in Bigscreen on Oculus

gihayes
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Mjolsen74

Bigscreen works with some video/audio but it seems some encodings do not.   I’ve messed around with custom DLNA profiles and got it to almost work, but the jump forward/backward does not work.

does anyone have a good clean bigscreen / oculus DLNA custom profile that transcodes and allows skipping?

1 hour ago, Mjolsen74 said:

Bigscreen works with some video/audio but it seems some encodings do not.   I’ve messed around with custom DLNA profiles and got it to almost work, but the jump forward/backward does not work.

does anyone have a good clean bigscreen / oculus DLNA custom profile that transcodes and allows skipping?

What kinds of files does it have trouble with?

Mjolsen74

in BigScreen on Oculus Quest 2, E-AC3 audio will not play.   AAC or AC3 seems to be fine.

I have transcoding profile now working, but the ones that get transcoded, I lose "skip" capabilities.

Mjolsen74
4 minutes ago, Mjolsen74 said:

in BigScreen on Oculus Quest 2, E-AC3 audio will not play.   AAC or AC3 seems to be fine.

I have transcoding profile now working, but the ones that get transcoded, I lose "skip" capabilities.

actually just found this link around Plex, same issue.   Something to do with ffmpeg transcoding and key frames most likely... Are there ways to fix this with transcoding?

Mjolsen74
2 hours ago, Mjolsen74 said:

actually just found this link around Plex, same issue.   Something to do with ffmpeg transcoding and key frames most likely... Are there ways to fix this with transcoding?

Well.... I finally joined the Bigscreen discord and found out it's Bigscreen causing the issue as they don't support the advanced codecs.   I still think getting skipping solved is possible with the transcoding settings with ffmpeg.   just not sure what and where to get that done.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, KeithA said:

How do you apply the settings in the link in emby?

HI, what link are you referring to?

KeithA

I am sorry I wasn't clear.  The purpose of my question was to help with my attempt to use Emby's DLNA server in BigScreen.  My issue is that certain videos play but without sound.  It has to do with the audio codec's support that BigScreen has.  The link I was referencing is below.  If my problem can be solved by tweaking some settings for the generic profile then that would be great.  I tried just replacing what was in the generic profile xml with the text in the link but it didn't solve my problem.

Thanks

2 hours ago, KeithA said:

I am sorry I wasn't clear.  The purpose of my question was to help with my attempt to use Emby's DLNA server in BigScreen.  My issue is that certain videos play but without sound.  It has to do with the audio codec's support that BigScreen has.  The link I was referencing is below.  If my problem can be solved by tweaking some settings for the generic profile then that would be great.  I tried just replacing what was in the generic profile xml with the text in the link but it didn't solve my problem.

Thanks

What doesn’t it support?

• 2 months later...
Dave_S
On 10/16/2023 at 10:52 AM, Mjolsen74 said:

@Mjolsen74Can I ask for the steps you took to get the transcoding profile working for Bigscreen in Emby?  I also was able to get it working in Plex (except the skip) but I switched to Emby a while ago and prefer not to go back.  Also, any further luck on the skip?

2 hours ago, Dave_S said:

@Mjolsen74Can I ask for the steps you took to get the transcoding profile working for Bigscreen in Emby?  I also was able to get it working in Plex (except the skip) but I switched to Emby a while ago and prefer not to go back.  Also, any further luck on the skip?

HI there, what are you trying to accomplish?

Dave_S
1 hour ago, Luke said:

HI there, what are you trying to accomplish?

Hi @Luke.  I believe I have the same issue as Mjolsen74.  Many of my movies in Emby have E-AC3 audio.  I'm trying to watch them through BigScreen on my Meta Quest 3 VR.  BigScreen doesn't have a web browser or an Emby player but it does allow for access to the movie files through DLNA.  I believe it's using its own player.  I'm able to get connected to Emby, but when I try to play a movie with E-AC3 audio, there is no sound.  The picture is fine.  I used to use Plex but switched to Emby a while back.  I found a fix (partial) with Plex by modifying the Generic.xml profile with code that someone else provided in a forum.  I believe that is telling Plex to transcode. The audio and video are now fine in Plex with that change, but it doesn't have the ability to skip forward or back as mentioned previously.  I'm not going back to Plex and would like to find a similar fix for Emby (fixing the skip would be a great bonus). 

I see there is a DNLA section in Emby settings and there is a profiles tab with a Generic Device profile.  My novice thinking is there may be a way to modify that profile or create a new one to tell Emby to transcode.  I'm not familiar enough with how it works to figure it out on my own so hoping someone may be able to help.

Thanks Luke.

Dave_S
19 hours ago, Dave_S said:

Hi @Luke.  I believe I have the same issue as Mjolsen74.  Many of my movies in Emby have E-AC3 audio.  I'm trying to watch them through BigScreen on my Meta Quest 3 VR.  BigScreen doesn't have a web browser or an Emby player but it does allow for access to the movie files through DLNA.  I believe it's using its own player.  I'm able to get connected to Emby, but when I try to play a movie with E-AC3 audio, there is no sound.  The picture is fine.  I used to use Plex but switched to Emby a while back.  I found a fix (partial) with Plex by modifying the Generic.xml profile with code that someone else provided in a forum.  I believe that is telling Plex to transcode. The audio and video are now fine in Plex with that change, but it doesn't have the ability to skip forward or back as mentioned previously.  I'm not going back to Plex and would like to find a similar fix for Emby (fixing the skip would be a great bonus). 

I see there is a DNLA section in Emby settings and there is a profiles tab with a Generic Device profile.  My novice thinking is there may be a way to modify that profile or create a new one to tell Emby to transcode.  I'm not familiar enough with how it works to figure it out on my own so hoping someone may be able to help.

Thanks Luke.

This is the code that was added to the Plex Generic.xml profile it it helps.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Client name="Generic">
  <TranscodeTargets>
    <!-- We'll give transcoding options here for files that don't match a directplay profile -->
    <VideoProfile container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="ac3" context="streaming">
      <Setting name="MpegtsM2tsMode" value="true" />
    </VideoProfile>
    <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
    <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
  </TranscodeTargets>
  <CodecProfiles>
    <VideoCodec name="*">
      <Limitations>
        <UpperBound name="video.width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />
        <UpperBound name="video.height" value="1080" isRequired="true"/>
      </Limitations>
    </VideoCodec>
    <VideoAudioCodec name="*">
     <Limitations>
       <UpperBound name="audio.channels" value="2" />
     </Limitations>
   </VideoAudioCodec>
  </CodecProfiles>
</Client>

Dave_S
23 minutes ago, Dave_S said:

This is the code that was added to the Plex Generic.xml profile it it helps.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Client name="Generic">
  <TranscodeTargets>
    <!-- We'll give transcoding options here for files that don't match a directplay profile -->
    <VideoProfile container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="ac3" context="streaming">
      <Setting name="MpegtsM2tsMode" value="true" />
    </VideoProfile>
    <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
    <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
  </TranscodeTargets>
  <CodecProfiles>
    <VideoCodec name="*">
      <Limitations>
        <UpperBound name="video.width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />
        <UpperBound name="video.height" value="1080" isRequired="true"/>
      </Limitations>
    </VideoCodec>
    <VideoAudioCodec name="*">
     <Limitations>
       <UpperBound name="audio.channels" value="2" />
     </Limitations>
   </VideoAudioCodec>
  </CodecProfiles>
</Client>

Hi @LukeI turned DNLA logs on and then attempted to play a movie with audio encoded to E-AC3.  I've attached the logs if that helps.

embyserver.txt

On 3/19/2024 at 10:01 PM, Dave_S said:

Hi @LukeI turned DNLA logs on and then attempted to play a movie with audio encoded to E-AC3.  I've attached the logs if that helps.

embyserver.txt 3.38 MB · 1 download

Hi, are you able to update to Emby Server 4.8 and see how things compare?