DVR recording question

jdebuhr

So I currently have one HDHR Dual setup for OTA.. when I select the show to record, I assume Emby knows if I am watching something on tuner 1 and the show is to be recorded, it knows to used tuner 2. I see I can set a series to record on a specific channel or all channels. but what if I want All Channels, HD Only? 

Currently I have data across several drives. I can move stuff around but is there a way to set a series to record to a specific location other than the Default recording path?  I understand that Emby does not have the intelligent recording like SageTV (which is what I am looking to move from)

Thanks

Hi, No it doesn't do that automatically like in SageTV.  I've long missed that as well.  However you can likely get this to work using the AutoOrganize plugin after you configure it along with post processing which can be setup in the DVR section.

You can override where you want Movies to record to and where Series get recorded to in the setting but it's a static location and not going to make use of all drives itself to put the file with your other shows. But an advanced setup in AutoOrganize could likely do  this for you.

If I understand your first question correctly if you have a movie or show/episode set to record and you also try to watch it (either order), the system will only use 1 tuner since it's the same channel.  Same if 2 or 3 other people are watching the same thing as you'll all share that one tuner.  Now someone want to watch something else live or something else is going to record and it will use the other tuner for that purpose.

Did that answer your question?

1 hour ago, cayars said:

Hi, No it doesn't do that automatically like in SageTV.  I've long missed that as well.  However you can likely get this to work using the AutoOrganize plugin after you configure it along with post processing which can be setup in the DVR section.

You can override where you want Movies to record to and where Series get recorded to in the setting but it's a static location and not going to make use of all drives itself to put the file with your other shows. But an advanced setup in AutoOrganize could likely do  this for you.

If I understand your first question correctly if you have a movie or show/episode set to record and you also try to watch it (either order), the system will only use 1 tuner since it's the same channel.  Same if 2 or 3 other people are watching the same thing as you'll all share that one tuner.  Now someone want to watch something else live or something else is going to record and it will use the other tuner for that purpose.

Did that answer your question?

Yes mostly.. to add an clarify the first question

example 1

Dual tuner (1 and 2 ) OTA. if I am watching a show on CBS on tuner one and a show needs to record on ABC will it start on Tuner 2? (assume Tuner 2 is Idle)

Function is a limit of hardware.. I can record 2 lives shows while watching one of them.. or record 2 live and watch a different recording. With SageTV I had 6 tuners.. still do, but 4 are still on SageTV.. so Emby would have 6 tuners plus 3 Cable tuners ultimately. I like the idea of using AppleTV or Roku and eliminating the SageTV hardware. 

Emby will just use a free tuner regardless if it's 1 or 2.  So yes you'll have no problem with the dual tuner if you only need 2 stations tuned to (recording, watching or both at same time).

Maybe a better example.

5 TV all in the same house watching CNN plus you're recording CNN.  Number of tuners in use =1 because only CNN is needed to be tuned to.
One person switches over to Fox News so now one recording and 4 TVs are watching CNN while 1 user/device is watching Fox.  Now 2 tuners are in use.

You could now also start recording Fox News as well.  Any remaining user could now start play Fox News and still only 2 tuners are in use.
Now a user decides to check out MSNBC cover but won't be able to because you now need a 3rd tuner.

I think you'll quickly switch from having 2 tuners on Emby and 4 on SageTV to 4 on Emby and 2 on SageTV as you get the hang of Emby. :)

Did that clear it up for you?

Yes. Goal is 6 tuners on Emby and sell SageTV hardware..  I am the only one to use SageTV any more as I prefer OTA recording vs Cable for certain shows.  Now I need to figure out how to get the previous Sage recording to show up in Emby, if possible. Then figure out my Storage situation

You could try running some files through FileBot to see if you can rename to a filename that better agrees with Emby.

couple file names

Stumptown-AllQuietontheDexternFront-20700212-0.mpg

YoungSheldon-ASolarCalculatoraGameBallandaCheerleadersBosom-15117576-0.mpg

MagnumPI-DayoftheViper-17701041-0.mpg

When I add the directories as they are nothing is recognized.. 

Try downloading Filebot and see if it will identify the shows/movies correctly.  If so you can do a one time rename as you move them from SageTV to Emby storage.

On 10/22/2020 at 5:56 PM, jdebuhr said:

couple file names

Stumptown-AllQuietontheDexternFront-20700212-0.mpg

YoungSheldon-ASolarCalculatoraGameBallandaCheerleadersBosom-15117576-0.mpg

MagnumPI-DayoftheViper-17701041-0.mpg

When I add the directories as they are nothing is recognized.. 

Hi, what do you mean nothing is recognized? What does the directory structure look like?

On 10/24/2020 at 5:35 PM, jdebuhr said:

meaning Emby found nothing in  the folder. all the shows are in  the root directory which is G:\Recording

I'd highly recommend you pickup filebot and run all the files through it and let it create the proper folder structure and rename the files to a format Emby will easily consume and use.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, so you're saying it's just flat files inside that folder, no sub-folders?

Yes

2 hours ago, cayars said:

I'd highly recommend you pickup filebot and run all the files through it and let it create the proper folder structure and rename the files to a format Emby will easily consume and use.

Ok. .I will look into it.. 

Thanks

On 10/31/2020 at 5:29 PM, jdebuhr said:

Yes

And did you add this folder to Emby Server using the TV content type?

ok it sees them, not sure what I did wrong before.. now to get another drive to have them sorted to transfer and rename