Question on Functionality?

jscherrer18

jscherrer18

I currently have an HTPC in my living room using EMBY through WMC on Windows 7.  I have an Avermedia A188f dual tuner card in the PC that I have used for live TV on WMC.  We are remodeling the living room and looking to shrink the size of our media cabinet and my HTPC will no longer fit.  I'm moving the HTPC to a back room in my basement and replacing the living room with a nVidia Shield TV Pro.  My antenna will pick up all channels in the location in the basement I'm moving the HTPC to.  My goal is to upgrade to Premiere and run live TV and DVR on the HTPC and access through Emby on the nVidia Shield TV.  I plan to keep the server running on the HTPC as I have all my existing media on internal drives.  I'm looking to either keep the antenna hooked up to the HTPC via the Avermedia tuner or I'm looking to get a HDhomerun Connect tuner.  I'm not sure what the best choice would be here.  Here are my 3 questions:

1.  Will Emby be able to us the Avermedia A188f tuner for live TV?

2.  If it will read the tuner, can Emby stream the live TV from the HTPC to the nVidia Shield without issues?

3.  Would I be better off with HDhomerun Connect and setting up live TV through that tuner with Emby and will this work to the Shield if I'm not running the server app on the Shield?

Thanks for any help or guidance!

Right this minute I would suggest getting the HDHR.  It is possible we will support the other tuner in the future but we will support the HDHR right now and, yes, you can stream to the Shield no problem.

HDHomeRun equipment just works and works.  They are real work hourses.

I'd not think twice about this decision at all!

jscherrer18

Thanks.  I was leaning towards the HDHomeRun.  The only reason I asked about using the existing tuner is to move the antenna out of the living room which would be better for aesthetics and it would be in the same location as the HTPC.

With the HDHomeRun connected via Ethernet you can put it anywhere in your network along with the antenna.