25fps content on Apple TV

AdrianW

AdrianW

I just installed the latest Apple TV update. I was trying various content (24fps, 25fps, 50fps) and each would change refresh rates to the appropriate setting except the 25fps content.

The 25fps video would always playback at whatever the previous refresh rate was.

I tried playing the same video via Infuse and it played it at 50Hz. So, perhaps the AppleTV can't use 25Hz. 

Can Emby playback 25fps content at 50Hz?

vdatanet
37 minutes ago, AdrianW said:

I just installed the latest Apple TV update. I was trying various content (24fps, 25fps, 50fps) and each would change refresh rates to the appropriate setting except the 25fps content.

The 25fps video would always playback at whatever the previous refresh rate was.

I tried playing the same video via Infuse and it played it at 50Hz. So, perhaps the AppleTV can't use 25Hz. 

Can Emby playback 25fps content at 50Hz?

At this time only native client supports frame rate match, I don't have 25 fps content to test. What's the media info? Maybe it's not supported by native player and it's transcoding. Native player has very limited format support:

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp724?locale=en_US

AdrianW

Seems like you're right - I checked the server logs and it was transcoding. That was 25 fps HEVC with AAC audio.  But it is under the 30fps limit mentioned in that apple link you posted.

Guess I'll continue to use ET on my NUC.

unisoft
1 hour ago, AdrianW said:

Seems like you're right - I checked the server logs and it was transcoding. That was 25 fps HEVC with AAC audio.  But it is under the 30fps limit mentioned in that apple link you posted.

Guess I'll continue to use ET on my NUC.

Are you PAL 50hz 25 interlaced frames (as in Recorded TV content)?

If so the native Apple player has issues with HD 1080i25 (1080i50) as it refuses to play, but is ok with SD 576i25. Its also OK with HD 24p and HD 50p and does frame rate match on the 24p.

The MPV player has a problem full stop with bad deinterlacing with 1080i or 576i content. It seems to deinterlace to 25 frames losing the interlaced frame detail instead of frame doubling to 50fps to deinterlace. The MPV player also does not do 24p frame match switching but is ok with content that was 25 frames interlaced, but re- encoded deinteraced using double frame rate to 50 frames (50p).

AdrianW
7 hours ago, unisoft said:

Are you PAL 50hz 25 interlaced frames (as in Recorded TV content)?

It's progressive 25p content.

It's easier just not to bother with the Emby app - there's no way I want any video ever being transcoded. I'll either use ET on my NUC or if using my Apple TV I'll use Infuse instead.

I also realised that @vdatanet linked to the Apple TV HD specs, not the 4K specs (I forgot to specify I had the 4K device) - so if the hardware can manage up to 60 fps 2160p it should certainly cope with 25 fps 1080p without needing to be transcoded. 

I did notice that 50p video was being direct streamed rather than transcoded. 

unisoft
12 hours ago, AdrianW said:

It's progressive 25p content.

It's easier just not to bother with the Emby app - there's no way I want any video ever being transcoded. I'll either use ET on my NUC or if using my Apple TV I'll use Infuse instead.

I also realised that @vdatanet linked to the Apple TV HD specs, not the 4K specs (I forgot to specify I had the 4K device) - so if the hardware can manage up to 60 fps 2160p it should certainly cope with 25 fps 1080p without needing to be transcoded. 

I did notice that 50p video was being direct streamed rather than transcoded. 

yes the Apple specs for HD vs 4K seem wrong by Apple or out of date. The Apple TV for HD content seems to support more which can't be right. It doesnt mention High Profile H264 for example whereas the Apple TV HD does and the AAC bit rate states 160kbps. I know the Apple TV 4K can cope with High Profile and AAC @ 320kbps and higher to 640kbps! Their own iTunes content for Movies for example is High Profile H264 with varying ACC up to 384kbps (latter is usually Dolby 5.1).