Parental control whitelist

Bottles51

Bottles51

It would be nice to have a whitelist option in the parental controls. I have a few shows and movies i would like to allow for my children without moving them up to the next rating level (R)

Bottles51

yes sir i see that but i want to allow for example just one show The Walking Dead. When I put The Walking Dead as a tag it does nothing.

Edited by Bottles51

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, Bottles51 said:

yes sir i see that but i want to allow for example just one show The Walking Dead. When I put The Walking Dead as a tag it does nothing.

You whitelist with tags, not a by name list.

Create a tag on the show The Walking Dead, let say "Allow Kids".  Then add that tag to Parental controls.

But I will have to find it but there is a topic about having issues with Parental rating plus allow tags, as tags are not displayed along with Parental restriction items.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/89400-restrict-by-tags-additional-option-allow-items-with-these-tags/

Bottles51

I tried this approach and the results are I would have to tag everything I wanted the kids to see. the options are show only these tags and don't show these tags. A simpler option would be to just have a whitelist option where you can add shows.

Happy2Play

Isn't tagging 100 shows the same amount of work as creating a list of 100 shows?

Bottles51

Don't want to create a list or tag shows. your right that is a lot of work. So my son is 12 years old and I have his parental ratings at tv14. He likes to watch The Walking Dead and I allow it. But The Walking Dead is rated Mature. Now I also have other children in the house so i do not want to change the rating of the show. I just want to allow my son to watch it. That is why i was asking for a whitelist to single out the one t.v. show. Or say add another like Fear The Walking Dead. My request is to simplify the process of doing such a thing. I do not like to have to change the metadata on thousands of things just to make one thing work.

Deathsquirrel

Why complicate things?  Just use the Custom Rating feature that already exists to allow this.  Set your parental control to TV-14, or whatever you're comfortable with, and then when you have a show that you want to include/exclude use the metadata editor to set the Custom Rating so the show is included or excluded, as you prefer.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

Why complicate things?  Just use the Custom Rating feature that already exists to allow this.  Set your parental control to TV-14, or whatever you're comfortable with, and then when you have a show that you want to include/exclude use the metadata editor to set the Custom Rating so the show is included or excluded, as you prefer.

Only issue is restricting from other children.  So two children with same parental rating and you only want to add to one child, you can not use custom rating.  Only tags will work, but Parental rating and tags allow does not work properly as shown in linked topic above.

But to me Whitelist or item tagging would be equal amount of work, unless I am missing something.

Bottles51

So if i tag The Walking Dead With Allow Kids and then put only allow for the filter it shows nothing in his profile because nothing else is tagged allow kids and the parental rating still stops it from showing. So one the tag does not override the rating and two I would have to tag everything or add a bunch of tags to allow all content i want. A simple whitelist where you can just add the show you would like would be much easier than messing with ratings and tags. Also yes I have multiple children in the house so a custom rating would push to others I do not want.

Happy2Play

Yes as that is the current bug in existing way to do what you want in this request as discussed in that request.

But I still see the exact same amount of work creating a whitelist or adding a tag to a item? .