Execution error code 403 warning after hard drive filled up

chuga

Hi,

I am running newest emby server docker 4.5.2 on an unraid server.

starting last week I had my docker crash and had to rebuild it.  The issue was my cache drive completely filled up (100gb) overnight - the main culprit being emby transcoding temp files.

we mainly access via roko App.  My suspicion is this is due to watching liveTV via roku/emby and it is not closing down properly when I exit with the 'home' button.  The temp files were all created late at night when no one was watching anything.

Anyway, this happened again last night (see log file).   I can't start emby docker back up (execution error code 403 warning) - even after I manually went in and deleted the temp files to clear out the cache drive.

see attached for server logs

thanks

@Happy2Play please move my posting to a new topic. Thanks.

emby logs.zip

Happy2Play

@chuga you will need to follow this topic to get updates. Follow button in the top right.

It was.   I had to completely remove docker container and reinstall all of my dockers to get it working again.  

simply deleting the temp files did not do it

for some reason I never think about rebooting...probably on 150days uptime...

any idea why this happened?  it seems to be late at night and no one is even using the server as far as I know during the time it starts generating these temp files and filling up the docker.

thanks

Hi @Luke   Any ideas on this?    It happens when I watch Livetv via Roku app.   If I exit using the home button the transcoding temp folder does not empty. It just keeps growing...

thanks

I've never heard of this before. 

If I exit using the home button

Try exiting by stopping playback first, then it should go away immediately. If you press the home button it will take a few minutes.

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, chuga said:

Hi @Luke   Any ideas on this?    It happens when I watch Livetv via Roku app.   If I exit using the home button the transcoding temp folder does not empty. It just keeps growing...

thanks

What should Emby do for everyone that does not stop the playback session properly?  But there is a setting will assist with stopping the runaway session. Do you have " 'Are You Still Watching?' enabled on the client?

Ideally a schedule task to cleanup abandoned session transcode I guess would be the only solution.  But would have no effect on a runaway playback session.

Edited by Happy2Play

Interesting on the 'are you still watching'.  I disabled that a few weeks ago (found it a bit annoying) and this problem started shortly after that so I guess that might be what is going on....

I'll go test the 'stop playback' now regardless.

thanks

Not sure how to “stop playback” on Roku livetv.  I tried,  instead of home button, hitting back button to exit to emby home screen.  Then home button to exit emby.  Did not work.  I still have 57 gig of temp files from the last 2 hrs of watching livetv"...

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, chuga said:

Not sure how to “stop playback” on Roku livetv.  I tried,  instead of home button, hitting back button to exit to emby home screen.  Then home button to exit emby.  Did not work.  I still have 57 gig of temp files from the last 2 hrs of watching livetv"...

Only a Emby restart will clean up these rogue/abandoned sessions.  Will have to search but there are topics of user scripting cleanup on the transcode folder.

This is only a issue on clients where users exit instead of stopping playback session.

Edited by Happy2Play

The Roku isn't like normal devices. Those other devices offer developers an OnDestroy routine they can create. If created allows "cleaning up" before exiting the application. All other devices are sending the OnDestroy event and triggering the OnDestroy routine when a user requests to exit. The Roku when you press the home button does not invoke an OnDestroy event allowing an application to cleanup/report the exit. So the server is not aware the Roku has left. It can only tell when progress reports stop being sent. I've made requests to Roku to allow developers an OnDestroy routine for their applications to clean up before exit. Allow us 2-3 seconds to do things before the application closes. But so far Roku is not interested in sending the OnDestroy to apps like every other device on the planet does.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Developer-Program/Please-give-us-onDestroy-as-an-event/td-p/515902

This is my plea to Roku which fell on deaf ears...

Edited by speechles

How do you properly stop playback on Roku ?

none of my temp files get deLeted after exit.  My docker crashes due to it actually continues to grow after I exit to home screen.   I think the transcoding continues after app exit

thanks

Just now, chuga said:

How do you properly stop playback on Roku ?

none of my temp files get deLeted after exit.  My docker crashes due to it actually continues to grow after I exit to home screen.   I think the transcoding continues after app exit

thanks

Can you please attach the server log from an example, while making a note of the specific times in which you started and stopped playback? Thanks.

Press "back" on the remote. When video is playing Roku wants users to use back as stop. I know it sounds weird. Using back it should always cleanup. We send the proper cleanup to the server when users stop playback gracefully.

Using the HOME button isn't allowing us to send the proper cleanup to the server and the server must determine when to cleanup by the progress reports not being sent from the application any longer. The server should be cleaning up those files. Can you do like Luke has suggested above? Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

Hi - just exited and restarted app a few minutes ago after Luke's request.  server log attached.

currently temp folder has 7044 files and ~53gb all created in the last 3hrs of watching TV.   I have exited via home several times and once via 'back' but no cleanup of files happened.

btw- server log is massive.....

thanks

embyserver.txt

just tried hitting 'back' 3 times until the menu popped up with "exit emby" option.   I selected that.

all the temp files are still there after it exited..

thanks

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, chuga said:

server log is massive.....

FYI - Rotate logs via Scheduled tasks and reproduce issue is the best way to get the smallest log showing the issue.

not sure how to rotate logs - heard about that but I do not see the option anywhere in docker settings.

I can restart docker and play/top LiveTV if that would help?