Library not updating?

Christian_S

Christian_S

Hi all

Probably just a simple issue of permissions, but I can't figure this out.

Setup: I got emby server 2.4.5.0 install on Synology DS920+ with DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2. Media on volume1/media .. followed by library subfolders. User 'emby' has read/write access.

I have rebooted the synology server.

Issue: 

Emby web ui looks fine and movies plays back fine. The problem is with the library, it is not listing new movies and not fetching meta data. I have added Log Center on Synology and also activated log for the Media folder on Synology. I do not see any warning/errors.

Anyone with an idea what I should check next?

FrostByte

Do you have RTM set for that library, if not then you need to manually scan after adding a movie

Edited by FrostByte

Christian_S

thanks @FrostByte

Just found out that new movies are added to library. There was an issue with the added date that were not working as I expected. Should be fixed now.

I still need to figure out how to get the meta data to update.

I can see under Server Admin > Library > Advanced that there is "Metadata path:" field. Do I need to specify this? 

FrostByte
1 hour ago, Christian_S said:

thanks @FrostByte

Just found out that new movies are added to library. There was an issue with the added date that were not working as I expected. Should be fixed now.

I still need to figure out how to get the meta data to update.

I can see under Server Admin > Library > Advanced that there is "Metadata path:" field. Do I need to specify this? 

No, not really.  I suppose if your NAS had nvme drives you could place your metadata on them to see if it was faster.   

You would probably be better off keeping your artwork and nfo with your media that way if you have ever reinstall EMby it will make it easier to recover and you won't lose any custom backdrops, etc

Edit the library and check "Save artwork into media folders"

As far as why it isn't updating metadata.  What are your trying to do?  Just change a backdrop, or something?  If a movie is already in your library you can refresh a movie or the whole library.  You can also set the refresh metadata time in days under the library settings

Christian_S

hmm. Must be something with user permission.

I uninstalled Emby, removed the Emby share on the drive.

Reinstalled Emby, now adding library and users - seems to work fine now.

Maybe this was caused by me changing the default user in the webui from "Emby" to "Chr" and then adding additional users?

Maybe this was caused by me changing the default user in the webui from "Emby" to "Chr" and then adding additional users?

Hi, do you mean in the diskstation UI? What exactly did you do?

Christian_S

@Luke I initially installed the synology emby application back in Sept on my new DS920+. 

I went through the emby setup in the webbrowser. The first user is called 'emby'. I performed the setup via http://serverip:8096/web/index.html, adding libraries etc.

At a later stage I created user profiles for the family members within Emby. Still using the initial user 'emby' I went to menu (3 lines) > Manage Emby Server > Users. I created additional users for my family members and added profile pictures. I probably changed the user 'emby' to my own name 'Chr' and added a profile picture during this process.

This weekend I did the upgrade to 4.5.2 and noticed that Emby was not able to grab meta data for new entries. New entries did not show up as expected in the "Latest media" section either. When trying to force a refresh of the meta data nothing happened. The 'update circle' showed but no impact. I was not able to find any errors in logs. For latest media I found a setting under Library > Advanced to change the behavior from file date to date added to library.

It's pure speculation on my side. I think the root cause could be due to me changing user 'emby' to 'Chr'.

I'm new to synology. It is possible I managed to do something wrong when upgrading from my initial install in Sep, to next release and then finally to the most current version emby-server-synology_4.5.2.0_x86_64.spk .

I have now done a clean install and done the setup again for all libraries. Seems to be working fine.