Please stop silently re-enabling automatic server updates

C.S.

I know you have beta testers. I'm sorry I'm not one. In my youth I might have participated, but in my old age I prefer stable releases, extremely stable. I'm so afraid of change that when a new stable release is out, I prefer to let others install it before me, so I can check the forum for any issues that - and I know this is rare - any issues that made it past the beta stage.

So, please, for the love of Vader, please stop re-enabling automatic server updates when I click the Update Now button on the dashboard. My old-ass brain can't remember to go back and disable it, again, every time.

I know I suck. I know I'm no fun. But I unchecked that box for a reason. For it to re-check itself is just.. it's frustrating.

And yes there are probably more important things going on in the world. Thanks for reading though.

• Like 1

Hi, yes this only happens when you click the update now button. It's something we'll look at resolving in a future update. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi,

I believe you can avoid this happening if you download the stable release (what you're interested in), shutdown Emby and install that way over top. That should put you in control of when updates take place.

Carlo

Right but it's just that I have to remember to do that, or remember to re-uncheck the box that I already unchecked.

It's like if the toilet seat kept flipping itself back up after you put it down. You'd be... frustrated. And then you'd move out of that house because you obviously have a poltergeist.

If you shutdown Emby and manually install, does the option STILL change for you?

I haven't done that. I posted this because after I hit Update Now to install 4.5.1, apparently I forgot to re-uncheck the box, so today I was surprised to see I was running 4.5.2.

Not an emergency. Everything is fine. Maybe next update I'll remember to try that experiment. Or maybe this will be fixed? We'll see. Thanks!🙂

Sammy

My Stable Server Updated itself the other day and I prefer to be in control and even have it set as such.

image.png.9346664ff4f84d6741fa5585678d48a5.png

I was not even home to restart the server at the time indicated.

image.png.d0008ea0606c2aa7b122764505b59737.png

5 minutes ago, Sammy said:

My Stable Server Updated itself the other day and I prefer to be in control and even have it set as such.

image.png.9346664ff4f84d6741fa5585678d48a5.png

I was not even home to restart the server at the time indicated.

image.png.d0008ea0606c2aa7b122764505b59737.png

You don't have to be. You can restart it later when you are home.

Sammy

The point is that it restarted and installed the update without me telling it to do so. If I set it to not download too will I still be notified?

It's actually not just this that Emby resets but other options as well.  For example I have to turn off Cinema Intro and other options as well.

Personal opinion but things like Cinema Into, theme music, etc should be admin configurable and not user controlled.  If the admin wants you to see intros then you see them.

It wouldn't restart as you don't have that enabled. It would only download the update and then you'd have to restart it later.

Happy2Play

The Alert does not mean it has actually installed.  Your dashboard should have been requesting a restart.  I know mine does, with those exact options.

5 hours ago, cayars said:

It's actually not just this that Emby resets but other options as well.  For example I have to turn off Cinema Intro and other options as well.

Personal opinion but things like Cinema Into, theme music, etc should be admin configurable and not user controlled.  If the admin wants you to see intros then you see them.

I've always had Cinema Intro turned off - I've never seen it re-enabled. As far as I can tell Automatic Updates is the only option where I've seen this happen. Automatic Restart always stays disabled, but Auto Update is re-enabled every time.

What are the other options this happens with?

CBers
6 hours ago, C.S. said:

Auto Update is re-enabled every time.

It's been like this since day one of MediaBrowser3 (MB3/EMBY), which is now almost 8 years. 

It's been brought up multiple times over the years, but has never been dealt with. 

I've given up bothering about it and only manually turn it off if a release does not work and I have had to regress and don't want it to auto update again, but that's only been a few times.