Multiple channels on same Mux (Hauppage Quad Tuner x3 tuners)

nt-it-team

nt-it-team

Hi all,

UK based. Each multiplex has about 8-14 TV channels. Unfortunately Emby isn't (as far as I can see) able to share a tuner that is already watching a channel on that multiplex for watch or record another channel on the same multiplex. It seems to want to use another tuner through WinTV. 

In VLC I can create a HTTP transport stream broadcasting each channel from the multiplex on its own http port, unfortunately, VLC doesn't allow multiple adapters (a bug in the latest many versions :( ) 

Is there any other way to use the 3 Hauppauge quad tuners in Emby without WinTV?

Thanks

Hi, At present, No to both questions (Multiplex & WinTV) but in Next Gen (next version of Emby Live TV in development) both should be a YES.

The current version of Emby can share channels if people are watching or recording the same channel.  For example if a person is watching CBS or BBC1 and another person watches the same station only 1 tuner should be needed.  With Next Gen any station on the Multiplex will share the same tuner.

Hope that helps,
Carlo

nt-it-team

This does help - when it will be released. I'm currently testing using Cast4ME which has this, and building my own M3U file, but obviously takes a while with 122 channels! But the small test I did shows this does work.

So the question (that every dev team hates!) is how long until the next version of Emby Live TV will be available, even in a beta form? I fully expect not to get a date, but a time region would be good, say roughly how many weeks/months away it is...

Sorry can't give a time frame. :)

Haven't seen mention of Cast4Me in a while.  Most people just use NextPVR.  What made you choose Cast4Me instead?

nt-it-team

Simple setup, easily automated to run as a service, took about 10 minutes to setup. Has all 12 tuners connected up (3 cards) and "just works" without issue yet. Only downside is manually creating an m3u file.

NextPVR I did try out, requires a "thicker" client and quite a bit more setup and bugged out in the UI while searching for channels so lost a bit of confidence there. Also for the use has alot more features than we need.

• Like 1