Multiple Emby questions

lordlance

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, lordlance said:

No such option on my PC: https://imgur.com/a/8grraTd or on my TV.

That is not where I said to look.

Dashboard-Users-select user, (profile) Media Playback section

Edited by Happy2Play

lordlance
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

That is not where I said to look.

Dashboard-Users-select user, Media Playback

Excellent. I appreciate it. Thank you.

• Like 1

lordlance

To confirm even if an audio or subtitle isn't supported the only transcoding that happens is the audio or subtitles - not the video itself, correct?

No, some times Emby will have to transcode the video as well because of the type of subtitles you use.  If they are graphic subs and the device/app can't use them Emby has to burn them into the video which means it's transcoding.

Emby tries to avoid all transcoding (video and audio) when ever possible but sometimes has no choice.  Lots of steps and ADMIN can take preparing media for Emby to make sure nothing ever transcodes unless it's a bitrate issue.

lordlance
2 hours ago, cayars said:

No, some times Emby will have to transcode the video as well because of the type of subtitles you use.  If they are graphic subs and the device/app can't use them Emby has to burn them into the video which means it's transcoding.

Emby tries to avoid all transcoding (video and audio) when ever possible but sometimes has no choice.  Lots of steps and ADMIN can take preparing media for Emby to make sure nothing ever transcodes unless it's a bitrate issue.

Even then only because of subtitles right? Not during audio transcoding right?

Is there a way to enable transcoding in the background so that the file is pre-transcoded? I ask so that I can test the video bit rate. It doesn't match with the original bit rate when transcoding occurs (for audio or subtitles.)

pwhodges
1 hour ago, lordlance said:

Even then only because of subtitles right? Not during audio transcoding right?

Right - audio can be transcoded and merged with the original video stream if necessary.  This is (or certainly has been) not reported as transcoding in the stats, because the overhead is so small.

Paul

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lordlance said:

Is there a way to enable transcoding in the background so that the file is pre-transcoded?

Yes, it is called our Convert Media feature.

• Like 1

lordlance

Finally is there a way to have the last minute that is streamed stored temporarily so that rewinding does not require buffering?

6 hours ago, lordlance said:

Finally is there a way to have the last minute that is streamed stored temporarily so that rewinding does not require buffering?

Hi, this generally already happens.

• 2 weeks later...
lordlance

I had a few questions: How do I use Emby on my phone on my mobile network (so that I can listen to my music when I am not home)? I keep getting connection failure. My port 8096 is open and remote connection is enabled.

I can't open the external IP address on my mobile network.

I have my surround system plugged via a red+yellow RCA cable into my TV's 3.5mm jack. Would it still be able to output true surround sound?

Edited by lordlance

Hi,

Have you tested with a PC web browser outside your network to see if it works?

lordlance

OK. Will try that tomorrow.

I have a bunch of remuxes that have 30-33Mbps bit rate. Speedtest shows that my internet connection is ~30-35Mbps. Shouldn't I therefore never have buffering issues? I do currently. Rewinding is worse because it takes a few seconds every time instead of being instantaneous as it usually is. Is the issue my network connection somehow?

Speedtest UPLOAD bandwidth is very important on the server side so make sure to check that.

lordlance
Just now, cayars said:

Speedtest UPLOAD bandwidth is very important on the server side so make sure to check that.

~50-60Mbps

I think assuming you've manually set the client to a high rate and not using "auto" then many files based only on bitrate should direct play.

But any issues would need to be investigated one file at a time looking at the reason on the client given in stats for nerds.

lordlance
Just now, cayars said:

I think assuming you've manually set the client to a high rate and not using "auto" then many files based only on bitrate should direct play.

But any issues would need to be investigated one file at a time looking at the reason on the client given in stats for nerds.

Yes all my remuxes are Direct Playing.

10 minutes ago, lordlance said:

~50-60Mbps

13 minutes ago, lordlance said:

I have a bunch of remuxes that have 30-33Mbps bit rate

That would only support one stream at any given time assuming nothing else is going on.

But, if your download is only 30-35 then, no I would not expect a 33Mb video to play smoothly.

lordlance
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

That would only support one stream at any given time assuming nothing else is going on.

But, if your download is only 30-35 then, no I would not expect a 33Mb video to play smoothly.

What kind of speed would I need to stream that high of a bit rate smoothly?

9 minutes ago, lordlance said:

What kind of speed would I need to stream that high of a bit rate smoothly?

There is no exact answer to that question but I would typically look for double what you intend to support.  Basically, you need plenty of headroom to account for overhead, latency, variations in the speed (the tests you are running are average, not 100% sustained) etc.

lordlance
15 minutes ago, ebr said:

There is no exact answer to that question but I would typically look for double what you intend to support.  Basically, you need plenty of headroom to account for overhead, latency, variations in the speed (the tests you are running are average, not 100% sustained) etc.

Shouldn't rewind be quick though? The app retains a small cache right?

28 minutes ago, lordlance said:

Shouldn't rewind be quick though? The app retains a small cache right?

That depends on exactly how the item is playing and  how far you are rewinding.

lordlance
Just now, ebr said:

That depends on exactly how the item is playing and  how far you are rewinding.

As said earlier - same file - direct play, 33Mbps - and only 10 or 20 seconds.

lordlance
10 hours ago, lordlance said:

As said earlier - same file - direct play, 33Mbps - and only 10 or 20 seconds.

Q1) Should buffering still take time even when only going back 10 or 20 seconds?

Q2) Sometimes when I'm rewinding, the audio starts playing but the video is still stuck until it eventually resumes. How do I fix this issue?

Q3) I can't play FLAC 5.1 files. Does Emby not support 5.1 files?

The answer to your questions are basically "it depends".  Mostly on exactly which device and app and many other conditions.  On my LAN using Android TV I can rewind and fast forward direct play media very quickly (basically instant) but most of my media is not at that high of a bitrate and without the same bandwidth constraints.