TMDb -> add the Episode Group Feature into Emby

TheGremlin

TheGremlin

Hi,

Since I am using more and more TMDb, (since tvdb is more and more a mess), I am missing a very important feature.
tvdb had the feature of grouping stuff into aired, DVD and absolute, which is supported by emby.

TMDb had also this feature. See this example for "La casa de papel" (Money Heist, Haus des Geldes):

Screenshot.thumb.png.9d504f2c4e11d813992519f3915e1fea.png
The Original Order is allways the "aired order" of the original country. "La casa de papel" was originaly released by "Antena 3" and was taken over by Netflix, which results in different episodes ordering, which is a mess. They solved it in episode grouping. This feature is missing from emby, but it's integrated in their API and is allready supported in other apps, like kodi.
At least, Banana a TMDb Mod claims it, that it's supported by Kodi: 

https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/71446-la-casa-de-papel/discuss/5e7032d84f9a99001152704f?page=1#5eb76872ca7ec6001f7c53cb

Is it possible to add this feature into emby? It is the last scraping feature, I really really miss for TMDb on emby.
It adds much flexibility and is overall a much better solution, than on tvdb with their aired, dvd and absolute order.

Another great example is Dragonball Super:

191716579_DragonballSuper.thumb.png.73ed2e0ba88ad2480c599519c1aaea60.png

As you see, it adds much more flexibility for different regions over the world.
It's in my own eyes a must have for emby!

• Like 36

Happy2Play

Yes I see it in their api but am not really seeing where these ids actually reside though to know what id to query for actual order.  I can see it via the url on the website but haven't really located it within the metadata.

https://developers.themoviedb.org/3/tv-episode-groups/get-tv-episode-group-details

https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/71446-la-casa-de-papel/episode_group/5ae0275b0e0a26156c00de9f

But am pretty sure there are other feature requests for this, or at least other specific topics on this exact request.

TheGremlin

Happy2Play, maybe the id is just the same as the order on the website?

For example, Papa la Casa would be like this:

ID = 1 (Original Parts, because it's first in order)
ID = 2 (Parts (edited version) (Digital))
ID = 3 (Seasons (edited version (Digital))

I think, if you want order it by another group, everyone who wants to use this feature, will mostly need to check it on the website.
Because you won't know otherwise, which ID you will need to match your ordering.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, TheGremlin said:

Happy2Play, maybe the id is just the same as the order on the website?

If the api does not return that information at a Series/Season/Episode level then this api option is somewhat useless.  No one want to manually go to the website navigate to the order you want to get the id then go back to Emby and provide that id.  This info might be there and I am just not seeing it.  But I would assume a lot of work would need to be don't in the tmdb plugin to accommodate this.  It might be a priority depending on how TVDB subscription changes affect us.

TheGremlin

Well, I often compare my stuff with theirs^^. But maybe I am something special with this stuff.

I think most people want it automated, so you are right.

PenkethBoy

There is an Episode_Groups api endpoint that returns the unique Ids for each group e.g. 5eb7353b0cb3350020ce402e

https://developers.themoviedb.org/3/tv/get-tv-episode-groups

and those ids can then be used to pull back the "parts" info via

https://developers.themoviedb.org/3/tv-episode-groups/get-tv-episode-group-details

etc

What emby then does with the info......... :)

• Like 3

TheGremlin

Nice find @PenkethBoy

I have hopes to see this soon^^. I can't really evaluate, if it' s a big deal to add and work in this in emby.

Should we add this maybe in the Feature Request Thread or is this something, we could allready seen soon?^^

PenkethBoy

lol - you are in the feature request sub forum

i doubt the work required is a 5 minute job

and Luke would have to commit to it - but first he is likely to want to see the need/interest - you only have three likes so far 

so i doubt it will arrive soon - but might over time

TheGremlin

@PenkethBoy it was worth a try :D. Yeah I know it won't happen that fast, especially since tvdb is still the dominat player for tv shows.
But tmdb is growing and I have the opinion that it's much polished than tvdb. But that's just a opinion^^.
Sometimes I prefer the ordering / metadata from tvdb over tmdb. But overall I am a bigger fan of tmdb.

@Happy2Play I also have seen that it was asked for a while ago, but never happened and it wasn't asked as feature request before.
The User had just asked if this is possible and Luke answered that it is only supported for tvdb. So I thought I ask for it^^.
Some time has gone since the request and I had hoped more people would bring there interest into it^^.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Right now I don't see anything happening until we know the direction that will be taken with TVDB change to subscription based api support.  Who will pay program dev or users?

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

TheGremlin

Ohh, I haven't even noticed, that they are planning to change the direction to a subscription based API support.

I edit often Metadata on tmdb and sometimes on tvdb. The description in my native language aren't sometimes spoiler free and taken as full episode description from wikipedia, which I try to change if there is a better "Spoiler Free" description on any other provider available. I prefer description from publishers and streaming services, which are often provided to tvdb or tmdb, but sometimes they people provide a "spoilered" description.

I think if they change their subscription to a paid plan, many of the content providing user could leave and change to tmdb or other services. This would result into a lack of content over time.

I also think devs could also avoid tvdb in future and change to other content provider, if they would have to pay for it.

Well, let's see what will happen^^

• 2 weeks later...
TheGremlin

@Luke Superb and good news. I arrange my tv shows for now manually, but it's great to hear that this feature has a chance to come into emby :).

@skidmarks  I haven't even known TVmaze before. I have just checked some of the stuff over there.
But I have noticed they just support english metadata. tvdb and tmdb support multilanguage metadata, which is a great benefit.

• 1 year later...
cybergrimes
On 12/9/2021 at 10:07 AM, dolpsdw said:

I would also like a tag in the file or folder to point to a concrete "episode group"

Make sure you hit the like button so your vote is counted.

• 4 months later...
JonArbuckle
On 9/28/2020 at 11:32 PM, Luke said:

The episode grouping feature is something we can look at supporting in future updates, yes.

any news about it?

4 minutes ago, JonArbuckle said:

any news about it?

HI, not yet, but it's possible for the future. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
katbyte

Going to toss in another vote for this. working around it via filesystem is very annoying and it is the only way to handle some anime shows

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
GrimReaper

Bumping both FRs for Alternate episode orders from providers as there's been unusually high-activity in topics related, during last two days. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...