Performance on raspberry pi

LehighBri

LehighBri

I am using the latest 517 version of the XBMB3C addon on my rpi client (using OpenELEC 4.0.7 which is Gotham 13.1), and it still takes ~10-15 seconds for each menu to open when navigating through.  I turned on performance profiling to see what is taking up that time.  Other addons seem a bit faster, so just curious on if additional performance optimizations can be done.  All in all I love the addon, definitely a great job.  I'm more just wondering if there's anything else that can be done or are we maxed out.

Note sure if this helps or if things can be further optimized, but the performance profile is here in case you were interested: http://pastebin.com/t2k5i3Mw

And if I look at the calls within the plugin.video.xbmb3c addon, I see the following as the most expensive.  Any thoughts on this?

1    0.0096    1.2012 getCacheValidator /storage/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.xbmb3c/default.py
1    0.0421    2.5588 getContent /storage/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.xbmb3c/default.py
1    0.0217    0.8282 processDirectory /storage/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.xbmb3c/default.py
5    0.0319    2.1721 downloadUrl /storage/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.xbmb3c/resources/lib/DownloadUtils.py

Edited by LehighBri

xnappo

We are moving to loading the 'People' and 'Overview' real-time instead of pre-loading it.  Can you take a look at turning off the metadata for those and recompare?

No thoughts on those methods, those are as expected in terms of cost.  It is still surprising to me how much slower the Pi is, but we have been chipping away at the performance for quite some time and there does not appear to be much low-hanging fruit.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

LehighBri

We are moving to loading the 'People' and 'Overview' real-time instead of pre-loading it.  Can you take a look at turning off the metadata for those and recompare?

Sure (and great to hear on the continued improvements).  I turned off Overview (I already had People turned off, and I still have "Stream Info" enabled) and tried it out.  It feels a tad faster, but it still takes a good 10-ish seconds for each menu to appear, so I wouldn't say it made a huge difference.  It's something I'll continue to monitor as you roll out new updates

LehighBri

Yes I did turn off People and Overview, but Stream is still on.  I can turn it off too and see what happens (what is it anyway?  is it info about the episode or something else?).

Also, I don't have anything else running at all.  I basically have a vanilla OpenELEC install with XBMB3C, that's it.  I don't know if I sent the right performance log as there were several, but maybe it's some of the other services that are running in the background in parallel that also add more time?

Any other optimizations you can think of?

xnappo

Well after the addon runs, xbmc has to do its part and actually display the directory and all the art. Maybe that post addon activity is also really slow. Might be interesting to break the image proxy and see how fast it is without artwork.

xnappo

xnappo

To test the impact of art, open:

resources/lib/DownloadUtils.py

Find 'def GetArtwork'

Change:

return artwork

to:

return ""

xnappo

[EDIT] And we are looking for time outside of the profile - so the profile isn't all that interesting here

Edited by xnappo

xnappo

Curious to see if having it in the listitem at all matters. Can't think of much else that would happen outside the addon - I know there is an issue if you add direct paths to video that it goes and checks mime types, but pretty sure since we add id that shouldn't happen.  Maybe something happens with images (checking against the cache etc).  One of the few things different between what we do and the old PleXBMC addon is the amount of art we add.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

LehighBri

I'll plan to do some testing later tonight related to excluding the artwork.  Any other tests or profiling you'd like me to do when I get around to that?

LehighBri

To follow up, I updated the code per above to exclude the artwork, and I don't really think that helped.  It still takes a good 10 seconds for each menu to appear.  And even when I go into a menu, if I hit Exit to go back a level in the menu, even then it also takes a good 10 seconds to load.  Definitely very slow and strange.  Would love to hear what other rpi users are experiencing, but something still seems to be hogging up some bandwidth/speed somehow.

xnappo

All pi users have reported the same. One of us devs would have to get one to make it better, but to me it is a short term problem as the next Pi will be a lot faster :D

no to mention as devices like fire and android tv get cheaper and cheaper, people are going to start to say I think I can afford the extra $20 to get something a lot better.

LehighBri

All pi users have reported the same. One of us devs would have to get one to make it better, but to me it is a short term problem as the next Pi will be a lot faster :D

I'm not holding my breath, but I get your point: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/186263-raspberry-pi-2-targeted-for-2017-current-model-gets-upgrade

no to mention as devices like fire and android tv get cheaper and cheaper, people are going to start to say I think I can afford the extra $20 to get something a lot better.

Yep definitely.  I won't make any change though until the $100 price point for other options like the Fire TV come down.  The pi @ $35 (plus a little more for power/SD) is still the best bang for the buck when it comes to this, even if some aspects are a little sluggish.  Definitely bearable and I'm planning to stick with the pi for the foreseeable future, unless of course something in the $50 range comes out that is a significant upgrade.

xnappo

Keep in mind there is also the option to remote control from your phone...

xnappo

LehighBri

Yes this is a great option, set up your PI and then just use the MB web interface on your facority mobile device to "cast" tm (remote play) a movie on the Pi.

Thanks for the great reminder.  I noticed that feature existed but haven't really used it.  I used it for the first time in earnest today and really like it (nice job).  I did find one bug though related to playing back recordings from ServerWMC.  I posted the issue here so hopefully that will get resolved soon: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9050-serverwmc-local-path-detected-message-what-to-do/