Hauppauge tuner support without WinTV?

richwine4

richwine4

I have Hauppage HVR-1265 tuners that Emby does not recognize on my Windows 10 system. I subsequently read that Emby requires a separate installation of WinTV 8.5 to recognize those tuners, but that future versions of Emby may not need WinTV. Does the most recent beta version of Emby still require WinTV to recognize Hauppage tuners? I would rather not pay for WinTV.

arrbee99

Pretty sure the most recent beta still requires WinTV. You could, I should imagine, switch to using something like NextPVR and associated plugin to feed Emby, which is free, if you don't mind experimenting. If interested see here for a few bits -

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/89889-next-pvr-plugin/

PenkethBoy

Support is coming for tuners without wintv but its a long way off being usable yet so dont expect it to appear in the near future

Actually adding wintv 10 will add required tuner drivers to your PC for the cards - have you done that? The cards wont work without the drivers

19 hours ago, richwine4 said:

I have Hauppage HVR-1265 tuners that Emby does not recognize on my Windows 10 system. I subsequently read that Emby requires a separate installation of WinTV 8.5 to recognize those tuners, but that future versions of Emby may not need WinTV. Does the most recent beta version of Emby still require WinTV to recognize Hauppage tuners? I would rather not pay for WinTV.

This functionality is currently in the development branch currently being tested that is the Next Gen Live TV.

It's in the near future so for now you'll need WinTV but not for much longer.  With that said there is no ETA on Next Gen release so don't ask. :)

PenkethBoy
8 hours ago, cayars said:

This functionality is currently in the development branch currently being tested that is the Next Gen Live TV.

It's in the near future so for now you'll need WinTV but not for much longer.  With that said there is no ETA on Next Gen release so don't ask. :)

It way way off being usable - and the dev is very slow going - you are getting people hopes up for something that wont be avaialable for some time

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Considering i'm the only one with Hauppauge tuners who tests this new app - and it still very far away from working as a release app

Lots of missing stuff or only place holders or its hit and miss if it works

It will get there eventually but it hard to focus on it when things only happen every two to three weeks - see lack of posts by the majority of tester including yourself

Ok - will leave the thread alone now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

Considering i'm the only one with Hauppauge tuners who tests this new app - and it still very far away from working as a release app

Lots of missing stuff or only place holders or its hit and miss if it works

It will get there eventually but it hard to focus on it when things only happen every two to three weeks - see lack of posts by the majority of tester including yourself

Ok - will leave the thread alone now.

your not the only one

• 4 weeks later...
MrGrymReaper

@PenkethBoy I also happen to have a Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD tuner card which really rocks. Anyway what version has this available to test? The system the card is in is really powerful indeed.

Edited by MrGrymReaper

• 10 months later...

Hi.

Just wondering if this is still in development? It was coming in the near future a year ago. I was going to get winTV when I read this thread about it being supported without it.

If it isn't on the cards anymore I will go and get winTV. 

SHSPVR
38 minutes ago, shawnf said:

Hi.

Just wondering if this is still in development? It was coming in the near future a year ago. I was going to get winTV when I read this thread about it being supported without it.

If it isn't on the cards anymore I will go and get winTV. 

yes

arrbee99

Its still in development, but will still be a while. I'd try out NextPVR plus plugin, its a good solution IMHO.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
earratia14

Still no updates on this?
The OP is from 2020 and the last post from H2 2021.

I found older posts talking about this subject and the planned or 'in the works' version which will not require WinTV.

Tried using NextPVR but if you want the 14 day programming guide like the one already available in Emby, you need to pay extra cash for a Schedules Direct subscription.

SHSPVR
20 minutes ago, earratia14 said:

Still no updates on this?
The OP is from 2020 and the last post from H2 2021.

I found older posts talking about this subject and the planned or 'in the works' version which will not require WinTV.

Tried using NextPVR but if you want the 14 day programming guide like the one already available in Emby, you need to pay extra cash for a Schedules Direct subscription.

It is in the works no it free guide is a available with windows from tuner no linux support but it's only give you a few days if you can live with that and there are some downsides like the lack of all the other information about the show and seasons info

Edited by SHSPVR

earratia14

It has been in the works for a while now with no recent updates.

For my particular installation this would make Emby flawless. Every week or so I have to logon to the server because Emby has lost communication with WinTV. Have to kill a bunch of HauppaugeWindowsProvider processes and restart the WinTV service... then re-start Emby as well since it starts eating up the CPU as each HauppaugeWindowsProvider process dies.
That's the only reason I ever need to intervene with Emby. It works perfectly with everything else.

You may want to give this a try as I think you'll like this setup a lot better.  Requires Emby Server 4.7.

Download and install the latest beta server version if 4.7 isn't released yet (at time of reading)
Install and setup NextPVR (same or different machine).
Configure NextPVR for your tuner and remote access.  No need to add guide data if the only use is Emby.
Install NextPVR plugin from the catalog and configure it to access NextPVR (easy).
Add Emby Guide Data then verify channel mapping.
Test/Try it.

4.7 version of Emby uses a new Plugin Framework for TV.  The new framework changes the way Emby uses other services through plugins.
The new plugin framework's main job now is to present a new "tuner" to Emby.  Emby now treats like any other tuner or m3u.
This allows Emby to treat it like any other tuner.  You now setup and use Emby Guide Data.  All recording setup, playback, saved recordings are handled by Emby.

PS Don't forget to register/donate to NextPVR. They've been great supporting us and helping to test the new plugin framework.
https://www.nextpvr.com/donate.html

If you have any questions feel free to reach out and ask for help,
Carlo

Edited by cayars
  • Haha 1

emveepee
1 hour ago, cayars said:

You may want to give this a try as I think you'll like this setup a lot better.  Requires Emby Server 4.7.

Download and install the latest beta server version if 4.7 isn't released yet (at time of reading)
Install and setup NextPVR (same or different machine).

I think that will be difficult.  The plugin in the catalog is for the unsupported v4 and won't work with 5.7.  I don't think the updated plugin for 4.7 has been released yet, and the one I have on github won't work with 4.7.   You could just use an m3u tuner in the meantime.

Martin