Run MB3 Server on system start, MBT on login?

NJ RadioGuy
Go to solution Solved by psykix,

NJ RadioGuy

Hi all,

A very new user to MB3/MBT, and I would like to automatically run the server on system startup (not in the system tray but as a service), and then upon login to the Home Theatre user account, launch MB Theater full-screen.

I have two accounts on the home theater PC: one is the administrator account (rarely used) and the other is the HTPC account. Both have admin priviledges but I am deliberately keeping the two separate since the administrator account (which is actually renamed to something else) is used to administer a VM server that runs on this box in the background. The HTPC account is strictly for playing back media.

At the moment, on bootup, the HTPC account logs in and goes to the desktop, and MB3 Server doesn't start up in the background. If I want MB Theater to launch, I first have to manually click MB3 Server in the task bar, wait for it to come up into the system tray and then launch MB Theater manually. This whole process needs to be fully automated as described above, but I have no clue on how to make this happen. Any help appreciated; please and thanks.

• Solution
psykix

Ok.. MBS installs a service but it is not set to run.

You need to go into Services (Press Windows Key + R and then type services.msc and press enter) and set the service to Automatic. You also need to run the service under a context (account) that has write access to your media.

As for MBT, you just need to go into Setings, General, and tick the Auto-run at Startup tick box.

• Like 1

psykix

One other thing - not sure which version of Windows you are running, but if it is Windows 8/8.1 then you need to make it boot into the desktop rather than the Start Menu otherwise MBT will not run.

You do this by going to the desktop. Right click task bar, click navigation.

Click the tick box which says "When I sign in or close all applications on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start"

• Like 1

NJ RadioGuy

OK, I think I got the service to start up automatically, although at the moment it's still generating a few errors that I can't seem to pin down. I'm still trying to come to grips with the interface that is resisting any and all attempts at configuring, and I seem to have lost about 40% of the metadata and images, backgrounds, descriptions and everything else that were loaded into MB Classic and working 100% fine before the conversion.