Emby Theater on Surface

saturn3000

saturn3000

I purchased an Emby Premiere license in order to have a better user experience than using Emby with the browser.

I installed Emby Theater on my desktop, on my Surface Pro 5 with I7 core and on my Surface Go.

On the desktop computer I have no particular problems while on the two Surface Theater it is quite heavy, it does not support Windows gestures to enlarge or place the application as an icon, furthermore the touch controls are slow, often the touch is not recognized.

I tried to set the screen as mobile / tablet but all the text gets tiny and so it's really unusable. The only way to have big text is to set the screen to TV mode but controlling Theater with touch is really painful.

I have to say that I am quite disappointed.

Hi,

The text shouldn't be that small in phone/tablet mode especially on a surface which is a lot bigger screen than a phone.

Could you take a couple of screen pictures and upload them to show the differences you see?  This might help to determine is something is off or needs a slight adjustment.

Thanks

Hi if you left the display mode at default, and if we had the ability for you to increase font size, would that work?

• Like 1

saturn3000

Good evening, I forward some screenshots.
As you can see in tablet mode the text is tiny compared to the icons in the windows bar, imagine viewing it on a 10 or 12 inch screen. It is really tiny and it is difficult to use with touch!
In TV mode, however, the text is large.
The problem remains that sometimes the touch controls don't respond.
Furthermore, in Windows tablet mode, to close a program just swipe from the top to the bottom and the system returns to the Windows Start screen. This doesn't happen with Emby Theater. With Emby Theater to close it you have to press on the X at the top right. Once Emby Theater is closed, a blank screen remains, it does not automatically return to the Windows Start screen ...
Unfortunately it doesn't seem very optimized for use with Windows and touch.

TABLET MODE

TABLET MODE 2.jpg

TV MODE

TV MODE 2.jpg

TABLET MODE

TABLET MODE.jpg

TV MODE

TV MODE.jpg

Edited by saturn3000

Thanks for posting those images. That is pretty much what they are supposed to look like.

You find these to small and hard to read?  It's subjective, so it's ok to say they are too small!

What Luke mentioned (adjustable font size) might be the perfect answer.

• Like 1

saturn3000
15 minutes ago, cayars said:

Thanks for posting those images. That is pretty much what they are supposed to look like.

You find these to small and hard to read?  It's subjective, so it's ok to say they are too small!

What Luke mentioned (adjustable font size) might be the perfect answer.

Seeing the attached image on a large screen is different than seeing the text on a 10 inch screen.
Please remember that small text is difficult to use with touch, it's easy to go wrong.

I hope, however, that you can improve the experience with touch.

WilhelmStroker

what display scaling are you running your surface at? 

Edit: The screenshots reproduce on my SP7 as well, but only with the version downloaded from the web. The store version of ET works fine for me. 

Edited by WilhelmStroker

15 minutes ago, WilhelmStroker said:

Edit: The screenshots reproduce on my SP7 as well, but only with the version downloaded from the web. The store version of ET works fine for me. 

Hi,

Any chance you could post a screenshot from each with the same data?

WilhelmStroker

Store app options screen in tablet mode:

268249551_storeapp.thumb.JPG.ccbbe2407da86f06f89b64cab70e1f9d.JPG

Home screen on the store app:

home screen in tablet mode.JPG

ET downloaded from the website in mobile/table mode:

download app tablet mode options.png

Home screen in tablet mode:

home screen.png

Edited by WilhelmStroker

sooty234

There's a general scaling issue with the interface. It's been reported many many times. The surface most commonly runs at 1440, so everything looks tiny, when not in TV mode. It isn't a text sizing issue. It's the scale of the entire UI. It's a problem on all Windows devices. 

WilhelmStroker
18 minutes ago, cayars said:

Thanks for that.

Out of curiosity, does it make a difference if you use the same theme?

Nope it's the same with all themes.

• Like 1

Luke do you know why there is the difference between the two Theaters? Or is it just an app version difference?

sooty234
9 minutes ago, cayars said:

Luke do you know why there is the difference between the two Theaters? Or is it just an app version difference?

They are totally different softwares. The only similarity is the design. They have different UI software and different players. Using the fruit analogy (apples and oranges), this is more like comparing an apple to a shoe. There is no comparison.

The rendering engine in the desktop app has an issue where it does not respect windows scaling settings. That's the reason for the discrepancy.

• Like 1

saturn3000

In addition, I also note that sometimes finger touch is not recognized correctly, I have to double tap to recognize the command.
Also, on Surface Pro and Surface Go only, if resize the Emby Theater window it always stays in the foreground and you can't view other programs on top of the Emby Theater, to see the windows of other open programs I have to either close Emby Theater.

3 hours ago, saturn3000 said:

In addition, I also note that sometimes finger touch is not recognized correctly, I have to double tap to recognize the command.
Also, on Surface Pro and Surface Go only, if resize the Emby Theater window it always stays in the foreground and you can't view other programs on top of the Emby Theater, to see the windows of other open programs I have to either close Emby Theater.

Thanks for reporting. We'll take a look.