TheTVDB scraping is failing with h.265 files

Richard Branches
Go to solution Solved by Richard Branches,

Richard Branches

Server version: 4.4.3.0

TheTVDB version: 1.0.34.0

TheTVDB scraping is not working very well with h.265 MKV files, for example, in the second season of Charmed (1998) the name of episodes 13 to 22 doesn't appear, instead the "h.265" label I put inside the video stream appears:

Screenshot1.thumb.png.c184a2c42c45d5f5cf15256703018f6e.png

The other TV show is V (1983), where the last three episodes of the "specials" season also appears the same:

Screenshot2.thumb.png.152ba4306e4d91673a60ed6b858185a7.png

There is an option selected by default with a checkmark inside the TV shows' folder settings, the option is "Prefer embedded titles over filenames" and the description says "This determines the default display title when no internet metadata or local metadata is available", I re-scanned the files with that option turned off but didn't work.

Observations:

- Season one of charmed which is also in h.265 is not affected.

- Season one of another TV show I have in h.265 is not affected.

- I don't have anymore TV shows with that codec so I ignore if more TV shows are affected somehow.

What gives?

Edited by Richard Branches

Happy2Play

How are the files named?  If you change the embedded title does it change in Emby?

9 minutes ago, Richard Branches said:

There is an option selected by default with a checkmark inside the TV shows' folder settings, the option is "Prefer embedded titles over filenames"

Sorry this option is disabled by default.  At least it is now as I can not create a TV Shows library with it enabled.  But that option I believe should do exactly what you are seeing.

Did you Refresh the items when you changed this setting?

Richard Branches
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Did you Refresh the items when you changed this setting?

Yes, I did.

Richard Branches
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

How are the files named?

As suggested, for example, episode 13 of season 2 is:

Charmed - S02E13 - Animal Pragmatism.mkv

Edited by Richard Branches

Richard Branches

Shouldn't they appear without that sintax in the episode list?

For example, it should display as:

12. Awakened

instead of

12. Charmed - S02E12 - Awakened.

Looks like the plugin is not working correctly I guess.

Hi,

That is exactly the file name as on my system.  What folder is this file in?

22 minutes ago, Richard Branches said:

instead the "h.265" label I put inside the video stream appears:

Remove the files from the library and rescan that library.  Turn off option "Prefer embedded titles over filenames" add files back and rescan.

Why did you add a h.265 tag to the file?  It would be best to remove these tags.

Richard Branches

I was checking out other TV shows that are not in h.265 and they appear correctly, like this one:

Screenshot3.thumb.png.d6ab45512e2a6bc9ffe3af2c61e78b7a.png

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Richard Branches said:

Shouldn't they appear without that sintax in the episode list?

For example, it should display as:

12. Awakened

instead of

12. Charmed - S02E12 - Awakened.

Looks like the plugin is not working correctly I guess.

That would suggest unidentified.

Richard Branches
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

That would suggest unidentified.

But I see it's happening with h.265 ones, other TV shows I have with a different codec appear correctly, like the one I just shared:

Happy2Play

But current testing I can not reproduce, so can we see a server log for when this happened or one with you reproducing the issue.  But am guessing a metadata issue

Richard Branches

I just checked every single TV show I have and I can confirm that the only ones not displayed correctly are the ones with h.265 codec, for example:

Season one and two of charmed is in h.265 and they are not displaying correctly, while season 3 to 8 are in another codec (h.264) and they appear correctly.

Happy2Play

Codec is irrelevant, Embedded title looks at the track name so if you changed the track name does it change in Emby?

If you applied a track name to a h264 item is it displayed?

But if I read the option description correctly this would be metadata issue.

What are the exact steps to reproduce this issue?  Along with library settings.

Edited by Happy2Play

To me it's doing exactly what I'd expect, based on what he said he did by embedding "h.265" in the file.  I'd think if he removed those tags or changed them to the title of the episode they would again scan in correctly.

Richard Branches

Every single file has its own label, those labels are: mpeg-2, mpeg-4, h.264 and h.265.

but I just realized that the issue is happening with the h.265 codec only, because the rest of files with the other labels are not having this problem.

Richard Branches
1 minute ago, cayars said:

To me it's doing exactly what I'd expect, based on what he said he did by embedding "h.265" in the file.  I'd think if he removed those tags or changed them to the title of the episode they would again scan in correctly.

I'm going to remove the label from one single file and I'll let you know what happens, please hold...

Happy2Play

A server log may explain it all but it needs to reflect one of these files.

• Like 1

I'm kind of curious what you thought was of adding the label when you can just look at the video codec?

Richard Branches

I removed the label, re-scanned the files and nothing happened, it still shows "13. h.265".

I insist this problem is not related to the label but the codec, because like I said earlier, all my files have a label and I checked and they are displaying correctly, except the h.265 ones.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'm kind of curious what you thought was of adding the label when you can just look at the video codec?

I can not reproduce so I am guessing as the option note says "This determines the default display title when no internet metadata or local metadata is available."

Happy2Play
Just now, Richard Branches said:

I removed the label, re-scanned the files and nothing happened, it still shows "13. h.265".

I insist this problem is not related to the label but the codec, because like I said earlier, all my files have a label and I checked and they are displaying correctly, except the h.265 ones.

Can you provide server log and Library settings,  as this would appear to isolated to your setup or I just don't know the steps to reproduce it.

3 minutes ago, Richard Branches said:

Move the charmed directory out of your TV area and rescan the whole library.

Then move the charmed directory back to your TV area and rescan the library again.

Now what does it look like?

Upload your server log if not correct.

Richard Branches
1 minute ago, Luke said:

You configured the server to use your embedded titles. It did what you told it to do.

If that would be the case, my whole library would be displayed the same and I wouldn't make this topic in the first place, I'm going to move the folder to another location, re-scan the files and I'll reply back.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Luke said:

You configured the server to use your embedded titles. It did what you told it to do.

But does that only apply when "no internet metadata or local metadata is available"?  As I can not reproduce with provider metadata, but have yet to test with providers disabled.

Happy2Play

Still need a server log to see what you are getting from enable providers.