No Dolby TrueHD from DS418play to Oppo (via DLNA)

tbischof72

tbischof72

Set up
- Synology DS418play with Emby server 4.4.3.0
- Oppo UDP-203 connected to Denon AVRX6200W via HDMI

Used MakeMKV to create files from Blu-Ray, Emby shows it as Dolby TrueHD, others as DTS-HD-MA

Using Emby App (have both ipad and android app on fire hd tablet) to play file via DLNA to OPPO.
- When selecting a movie file with DTS-HD-MA both the OPPO and the Denon show and play them as such.
- But when selecting a file with Dolby TrueHD both only show "multi-channel in".

When playing the original blu-ray disc it properly shows/plays Dolby TrueHD on both the Oppo and Denon.
(Side note: also created 4K files from UHDs, same issue for audio (Dolby TrueHD/ATMOS), but video works playing as HDR10 - so system setup/network is plenty capable)

What am I missing, or does Dolby TrueHD just not work via DLNA even though the Oppo is perfectly capable of playing it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Happy2Play

Did you create a OPPO dlna profile?

Would need to see a server log, but am guessing the default dlna profile is being used.

Have you tried the profile here?  

Edited by Happy2Play

tbischof72

Thanks for the replies, have to admit I'm a bit over my head, still need to do a lot of reading up here, e.g. did not manage to get to the emby directory on the nas to try out the DLNA profile ...

I attached the latest log from streaming (stopped after 1 minute) a movie (300) with Dolby TrueHd 5.1, yes it does have ffmpeg listed in there - does that help?

embyserver.txt

tbischof72

Ok, so I managed to create a DLNA profile for the OPPO, added a specific direct play entry for MKV and the respective codecs inc. truehd
Then I restarted the server and started playing again.

Looks to me like the profile gets picked up, but no change, new log attached; started playing at 2020-08-24 12:31:43.901

Thanks again!

embyserver _new.txt

tbischof72

One more log, this time with debug enabled

2020-08-24 12:54:01.029 Debug Dlna: OPPO UDP-203 - Received PlayRequest: PlayNow
2020-08-24 12:54:01.030 Debug Dlna: Found matching device profile: OPPO UDP-203

embyserver_debug.txt

tbischof72

Ok, never mind emby - the issue was on the OPPO side. HDMI Audio was set to AUTO, changing it to Bitstream did the trick.

On the OPPO it still shows multi-channel in, but then on the Denon it recognizes Dolby-True HD, even Atmos for 4K UHD mkv files (again, only on the Denon, not OPPO).

Still wonder why DTS-HD MA is shown on both the OPPO and Denon without problem - still have to create an MKV from a DTS-X UHD to see how that is recognized.

Also, the Denon has an issue (looses sound, does not recognize the new codec) when switching between DTS and Dolby when streaming, no issue if I switch between Blu-rays/UHDs with different codecs; but that's likely an HDMI handshake issue ...

In any case, thanks for the help, at least I learned some new stuff 🙂 

tbischof72

One last update, made MKV from UHD with DTS-X, when playing via DLNA
- OPPO shows codec DTS-HD MA and bitstreams to
- DENON which shows DTS-X with the height speakers active

I've left the custom profile in place, also specified the user in it and now when selecting from the available DLNA options on the tablet I only get 2, the Denon and the Oppo, as opposed to before when it showed a 3rd option as embysvr which never looked right; so it improved in that regard.

Now, if only I could get both Dolby Vision/HDR10+ AND Dolby Atmos/DTS-X to work in a file I'd move all my UHDs the NAS/Emby, but as far as I understand you can't do both, MKV cannot do DV, and MP4 can do DV in single layer but can't do Dolby Atmos. But then I'd eventually run out of space on my NAS, should not have chosen DS418play but a bigger one that can be connected to the extension module, but that's another topic ...

Again, thanks for the help here!

You could always do multi-version videos, although granted that would consume a lot of space. Thanks for the feedback.

• 4 months later...
On 25/08/2020 at 15:51, tbischof72 said:

Now, if only I could get both Dolby Vision/HDR10+ AND Dolby Atmos/DTS-X to work in a file I'd move all my UHDs the NAS/Emby, but as far as I understand you can't do both, MKV cannot do DV, and MP4 can do DV in single layer but can't do Dolby Atmos.

Again, thanks for the help here!

Hi tbischof72. I too am planning on going the NAS running Emby / Oppo 203 / ipad for front end route. I read your post here and was very pleased to see your confirmation that this works. I don't know if you know this (you might because your post is quite old)  but if you create a decrytped full folder backup of a UHD then you can use tsMuxer to create a .TS file from the main title .M2TS file (in the STREAM subfilder). I've done this for several UHDs now and the .TS files play perfectly with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos from an NTFS formatted USB stick in the front port of my 203. Try creating such  a .TS and playing it with your Emby setup. It would be great to hear confirmation that it works. I also tried .M2TS but found that my stock Oppo 203 on latest firmware didn't handle those well. Broken transport controls. i.e. no ff,rw,goto time,chapter skip or even full running time in the info display. All those work with .TS.

Edited by RonHill
typo correction.

tbischof72
On 1/10/2021 at 3:48 PM, RonHill said:

Hi tbischof72. I too am planning on going the NAS running Emby / Oppo 203 / ipad for front end route. I read your post here and was very pleased to see your confirmation that this works. I don't know if you know this (you might because your post is quite old)  but if you create a decrytped full folder backup of a UHD then you can use tsMuxer to create a .TS file from the main title .M2TS file (in the STREAM subfilder). I've done this for several UHDs now and the .TS files play perfectly with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos from an NTFS formatted USB stick in the front port of my 203. Try creating such  a .TS and playing it with your Emby setup. It would be great to hear confirmation that it works. I also tried .M2TS but found that my stock Oppo 203 on latest firmware didn't handle those well. Broken transport controls. i.e. no ff,rw,goto time,chapter skip or even full running time in the info display. All those work with .TS.

Thanks for the suggestion, RonHill, I tried it but ultimately without success
- created both .TS and .M2TS files from John Wick 3 that has both Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision
- both correctly showed Dolby Atmos on the Denon receiver
- both only showed as HDR10 on my Vizio TV
- I played them both via the emby app, navigated to the emby server via the Oppo -> networks, and also directly to the file directory - same result
- transport controls worked neither for the .TS nor the .M2TS file, but work just fine for the .MKV files
- don't have a large enough USB stick to try that option
- OPPO and Vizio TV are on the latest FW as well

Some observations:
- .TS and .M2TS files are larger than the MKV file from the same UHD (~5-10 %)
- audio detection seems to work consistently, also tried another UHD with DTS-X as .TS successfully, while I have some MKV that still just show as multi-channel in
- but then it takes much longer to first make the full UHD back-up plus the .TS/M2TS file compared to just creating the MKV

I'll play around with it some more, maybe I'm missing something else ... on the other hand only some of my UHDs have DV (or HDR10+), most don't, so maybe I just add those to the NAS, at least the audio works consistently with the TS/M2TS files; the transport controls are just a minor annoyance ...

Thanks again and if I finds anything else I'll update the post!

FrostByte

The latest Makemkv does DV now since your original post.   They figured out a way to put the HDR10 and DV into a single track

Here is Back to the Future mkv.  

Video 
ID : 1 
ID in the original source medium : 4113 (0x1011) 
Format : HEVC 
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding 
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High 
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible 
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC 
Duration : 1 h 56 min 
Bit rate : 78.4 Mb/s 
Width : 3 840 pixels 
Height : 2 160 pixels 
Display aspect ratio : 16:9 
Frame rate mode : Constant 
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS 
Color space : YUV 
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2) 
Bit depth : 10 bits 
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.394 
Stream size : 63.6 GiB (93%) 
Title : 4K Dolby Vision / HDR10+ 
Language : English 
Default : Yes 
Forced : No 
Color range : Limited 
Color primaries : BT.2020 
Transfer characteristics : PQ 
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant 
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3 
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2 
Maximum Content Light Level : 1000 cd/m2 
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 755 cd/m2 
Original source medium : Blu-ray 

tbischof72

Ok, I already had the latest makemkv version, below is the John Wick 3 mkv and it shows as DV

When I look at the video details in emby however it just says HDR, and when I play it via my Oppo the TV also still just says HDR10.

So is it playing just as HDR10 or is it actually playing DV, just can't properly label it as you said they "put the HDR10 and DV into a single track"?

image.thumb.png.6b1ad5362fefb7fa5ccb1396a3443c48.png

FrostByte

Your rip looks good.  I have JW3 also.

Emby will always say HDR for all formats of HDR.  There is a feature request to add DV, HDR10+, HLG, etc to media info

As far as your system display I don't know much about the Oppo, etc.  I do know that if your system isn't capable of playing DV that it will extract the DV layer and still play the HDR10/HDR10+ layer on a non-DV setup (the whole chain has to support playing/passthrough DV).  On my Samsung I can do that and still trigger HDR. 

However, on a DV capable TV and Shield 2019 it triggers DV.

Edited by FrostByte

tbischof72

Thanks all for the input.

I started the thread about the audio format and that I have got solved now. 

I'm a big fan of physical media for the best possible picture/sound, causing me to run into a storage problem, thus ripping my BDs onto the NAS and playing them with my existing set up was the main priority. Didn't want to add another streaming device like the shield as I'm not really going big on streaming movies. I'll just add non DV/HDR10+ UHDs to the NAS/Emby, but leave the DV/HDR10+ UHDs out to play from the physical media - that all works perfectly.

On 12/01/2021 at 16:46, tbischof72 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, RonHill, I tried it but ultimately without success
- created both .TS and .M2TS files from John Wick 3 that has both Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision
- both correctly showed Dolby Atmos on the Denon receiver
- both only showed as HDR10 on my Vizio TV
- I played them both via the emby app, navigated to the emby server via the Oppo -> networks, and also directly to the file directory - same result
- transport controls worked neither for the .TS nor the .M2TS file, but work just fine for the .MKV files
- don't have a large enough USB stick to try that option
- OPPO and Vizio TV are on the latest FW as well

Some observations:
- .TS and .M2TS files are larger than the MKV file from the same UHD (~5-10 %)
- audio detection seems to work consistently, also tried another UHD with DTS-X as .TS successfully, while I have some MKV that still just show as multi-channel in
- but then it takes much longer to first make the full UHD back-up plus the .TS/M2TS file compared to just creating the MKV

I'll play around with it some more, maybe I'm missing something else ... on the other hand only some of my UHDs have DV (or HDR10+), most don't, so maybe I just add those to the NAS, at least the audio works consistently with the TS/M2TS files; the transport controls are just a minor annoyance ...

Thanks again and if I finds anything else I'll update the post!

I have JW3 and got Dolby Vision and Atmos working fine in a main title TS file playing it from an NTFS formatted usb stick attached to the front port of the Oppo. Process was as follows.

1) Created a decrypted full folder backup of the UHD using AnyDVD HD.

2) Identified the main title .M2TS file in the folder backup using BDinfo.

3) Used latest tsMuxer build to create the .TS file from the file identified in step 2. Unticked all components of the file then selected just the primary UHD HEVC track, the 1080p HEVC Dolby Vision track, the Primary Dolby TrueHD track (Atmos embedded) and the primary PGS English subtitle stream.

If you want to test quickly then set tsMuxer to just create the first minute of the film and that should fit your USB stick. If it plays fine from USB from the Movies tab on the Oppo with Dolby Vision engaging on your TV and Atmos on your receiver then try it from your NAS using the Network/Video option on the Oppo. Finally, if that works then try using Emby to stream it at the Oppo. My suspicion is the first two will succeed but the third will fail. If that’s the case then either Emby is not supporting the DV extension HEVC layer or it is but the Oppo can’t handle it being pushed at it.