QNAP TS473 enable hardware transcoding

echelon

echelon

Hi everyone

i just activated my license emby premiere , i did it to have hardware transcoding but it does not work on my QNAP TS473 with NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti this is my configuration.

QNAP

Emby Server 4.4.3.0

card.thumb.png.22d5b9031bdba497c0d76ee9b544164a.png

NvidiaGPU.png.c2f2770b21077ad13c1db671ad2532af.png

Emby App Server

1.thumb.png.07dd15bf94e1a00546940a3b985be5a2.png2.thumb.png.97da5dd62a1899d33b5765f15c1bb3c2.png

I have tried with 5 video streams simultaneously but the GPU usage is always at 0%

sysreso.thumb.png.02a9fa4fa8b531a64984c1e15e8454d7.png

what should I do? do i need to install other drivers or apps?

thanks for the support

Edited by karry996

Hi, it could be working just fine. Perhaps there is no transcoding occurring because it's not needed for what you're playing.

echelon
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, it could be working just fine. Perhaps there is no transcoding occurring because it's not needed for what you're playing.

Hi Luke

Thanks , you right only some video files that I have are transcoding through the GPU.

So if in Play method is DirectStream both the GPU and the CPU will not work for Transcoding , right?

direplay.thumb.png.abe85543f81bc17e490b445a127be026.png

Instead if in Play Method is Transcode , transcoding will be done through the GPU only (I can see this in the system resources GPU usage)

transc.png.5a35f7f5c1335af61a13b026b5a35295.png

I don't want the nas cpu to go in overload😬

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
johntankard

Hi echelon, 

I have the exact same setup as you with a premiere subscription but when I go into transcode menu and advanced that area is blank. Did you have to do anything special? The 1050ti has been detected and assigned to qts, the nvidia driver has also installed successfully. 

Regards John. 

8 hours ago, johntankard said:

Hi echelon, 

I have the exact same setup as you with a premiere subscription but when I go into transcode menu and advanced that area is blank. Did you have to do anything special? The 1050ti has been detected and assigned to qts, the nvidia driver has also installed successfully. 

Regards John. 

Hi, is QTS up to date? What version of Emby Server?

johntankard
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, is QTS up to date? What version of Emby Server?

Hi Luke, 

Got it fixed thanks. A simple reboot cured non detection. 

Thanks.... 

johntankard

Hi @Luke

So my happiness was short lived. It seems as though Emby is loosing sight of the 1050ti at random times. It sees the card for transcoding then the following day when you click Advanced in transcoding that area is blank again even though the Qnap hasn't been rebooted.

To answer your previous questions, the Qnap firmware is 4.5.1.1480 and Emby version is 4.5.2.0 - I am having the unsigned message come up but I wouldn't have thought that would interfere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards John

Hello ,
The drivers NvKernelDriver are they enabled? (they are green color as in the screenshot above)
Have you tried to disable and enable Emby?

johntankard

Hi @Luke @echelon

Thank you for your responses, I have had so many issues with the TS-473 and 1050ti graphics card that I decided to give up and go full hog, so I have retuned the 473 and ordered a Qnap TVS-872XT with i5 8400T 6 core processor, 16GB Ram and Intel UHD630 IGPU. I can even add an additional GPU if needed although I don't think I will. This is total overkill but will cure my issues and is very future proof. Thank you for helping though with the 473 issues, I even had Qnap support on it and they were a little stumped why I was having these issues...

johntankard
19 minutes ago, echelon said:

Hello @johntankard

You welcome , it's a very good nas 🤩, just choose good HD

Cheers

@echelon Yes, I've ordered 4 x 4TB Seagate Iron wolf Pro hard drives along with 2 x 512GB Samsung evo Pro nvme SSD's for read/write caching in a raid 1 config... 

Edited by johntankard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
johntankard
On 10/12/2020 at 17:04, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

Hi @Luke

I ordered a brand new qnap nas which had cured my issues. I do have another issue but I'll create a new thread and tag you. 

Cheers John.