Need help with new configuration

milspam

milspam

I live in the mountains and do not have high speed internet or cable TV. My house was recently robbed and they stole my media center laptop I use to watch movies. I've replaced the system with a low end one again for cost savings, but it has Windows 8.1. I upgraded to 8.1 Pro to get WMC since it doesn't support installing Windows 7 (USB devices stop working at the initial setup, so no keyboard or mouse, go figure).

I attempted to install MCE MB 2.6.2 and it wouldn't work so finally got online (dialup on one computer in my house) to see what the issue could be. Read through the numerous issues about not being supported in 8.1 etc...

I see there is a new media browser, but it appears to all be connected into a MB server. Is it possible to run it without the server and use it like I did before?

How I use it (nowhere near all the features, but it's all I need until high speed internet becomes available):

My DVD's all reside on a linux server. (.vob)

I had a low end system loaded with Windows 7 with MCE MB2.6.2 that connected the libraries to play in WMC and displayed the metadata about the movies.

Use Sharks007 codecs for .vob to play in WMC

That's it...

I don't use anything else in the application, pretty simple setup and use, just need it to browse the library and trigger content playback in WMC

No internet connection

No metadata (I downloaded this from work via media center master and transported the data home and incorporated into the movies folders)

No TV, trailers, etc

Is this setup/use still a possibility with MB3? I tried downloading MB3 Classic, but when it starts I can't seem to get past the search for a server. I don't have an additional system to run a server version as the system I'm using is still a low end system and is too laggy when I tried running the server and playing media.

Any help or recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Also, is it possible to download an offline full install file? I downloaded what I thought was the program and it turned out to be a web installer so tried to connect out to complete the installation. Had to take the system to get a connection to complete and troubleshoot this far...

Edited by milspam

The new system requires the server but it really isn't any more taxing on your system than the old MB Service was so it shouldn't be that much different.

Did you try installing the server on the same machine?

milspam

Yes, installed on the same machine I'm trying to run WMC and MB3 Classic on.

I'll give it another try though. I may have been trying to run the movies from the web browser interface instead of WMC as I had it configured before.

Yeah, using the web client for playback could be quite different from MBC as far as server load is concerned.

techywarrior

Also, the web client I believe still requires an internet connection because jQuery was being loaded remotely (unless Luke changed it recently, I haven't checked in a while)

milspam

When I reloaded the server and MB classic on the same system, I'm getting quite a bit of lag. It seems to take about 15-45 seconds for the movie to begin in WMC. Any chance that MB classic can be used like it was before? (without the server running?)

Damn thieves. My old system was runnning perfectly just as I needed it to.

techywarrior

The old MB2 setup was really the server and the client built into a single thing. I'm not sure what issue you are having tho. I doubt that even if you could go back to the old MB2 (which you can't) that it would help as the new MBS/MBC setup is typically much faster then the old.

AdrianW

I have MBS and MBC running on the same PC with my video library on a NAS, and videos start immediately for me.

I wonder if you have the permissions and paths to your video library configured properly.

milspam

Never ran into any problems before. The movies play on every PC in my house, but they are all Win 7 running MB 2.6.2. This is the first PC that is Win 8.1. It's just a lower end Dell with only 4gb RAM. I wonder if I'm going to have to upgrade the memory.

I'll keep trying to adjust things and see if it smoothes out.

Thanks for making recommendations though.