Files rename plugin

Airbender

Before anyone gets excited, i can't take this on right now. It also doesn't need to be a core feature and could easily be in a plugin. All it has to do is monitor a drop folder, copy + rename. The core will take care of the rest.

I brought this up with Radeon a while ago, so maybe he or someone else will have interest in it.

This is a real gray area.  I think a plug-in is okay but I wouldn't want this function in the core.  The only reason you need this feature is to massage illegally-obtained content.

It's useful when ripping episodes off discs. This way you don't have to hunt down the actual episode name. You just name the file mad man 4x02, put it in the drop folder and the renamer takes it from there.

Isn't that name sufficient for us already?  Why does it need to be renamed to something else?

mboehler

Isn't that name sufficient for us already?  Why does it need to be renamed to something else?

I'm somewhat anal about my media collection.  Not as much as some others on here, but I personally like all of my TV shows named in the format of: TV Show - 4x02 - Episode Name.ext.

Yes, I can rename them manually, and I do, but it's a pain sometimes.  If there was a plugin to do this automatically, it would just make MB3 that much better.  

AND, if I could just put all of the files in one folder and have the plugin watch that folder and move the files to their correct places in my collection, that would be that much better as well.  Sorry for the run-on sentence.

My media collection is on a NAS.  If this plugin existed, then I could put a shortcut to one NAS folder on my desktop of the PC in my office.  Then I can drag the movie or TV episodes into that folder (shortcut), and the plugin can take care of the rest.  Easy!

The moving part makes some sense in the workflow of ripping discs so I'm okay with that (and, if you want to rename it in the process, I don't have a problem there either).

I just don't want features in the core that have no purpose other than to pirate or enhance pirated content.

• Like 3

mboehler

The moving part makes some sense in the workflow of ripping discs so I'm okay with that (and, if you want to rename it in the process, I don't have a problem there either).

I just don't want features in the core that have no purpose other than to pirate or enhance pirated content.

Agreed!

This is a real gray area.  I think a plug-in is okay but I wouldn't want this function in the core.  The only reason you need this feature is to massage illegally-obtained content.

It's useful when ripping episodes off discs. This way you don't have to hunt down the actual episode name. You just name the file mad man 4x02, put it in the drop folder and the renamer takes it from there.

godbodian

Personally unless you guys come up with abbreviations for the show name and then name the file in a S04E23 format, I think it's a good sounding idea, that in the long run may be a bad idea.

Show titles are often long by nature, plus the season and episode info is important in the file name itself, but if you're wanting the episode title to be in the file name as well, eventually you'll hit that "location name is too long error" once the name of the file is included with however many folders you use in whomever's architecture. 

Just my opinion. Otherwise again it's a good idea.

I dont use anything but the Season and the Episode number for the file, everything else is provided by the adjoining file folders and metadata. To me its overkill, although when moving flies I have to be careful not to place files from different shows within the same folders, but other than that. It's very minimalist.

Edited by godbodian
  • Like 1

sfnetwork

Personally unless you guys come up with abbreviations for the show name and then name the file in a S04E23 format, I think it's a good sounding idea, that in the long run may be a bad idea.

Show titles are often long by nature, plus the season and episode info is important in the file name itself, but if you're wanting the episode title to be in the file name as well, eventually you'll hit that "location name is too long error" once the name of the file is included with however many folders you use in whomever's architecture. 

Just my opinion. Otherwise again it's a good idea.

I dont use anything but the Season and the Episode number for the file, everything else is provided by the adjoining file folders and metadata. To me its overkill, although when moving flies I have to be careful not to place files from different shows within the same folders, but other than that. It's very minimalist.

Not everyone would agree with this but I understand your point... I presume there will be options with configurable naming with variables etc...

• Like 1

godbodian

I never expect people to agree with me, as people have to always find truth, understanding or hardship for themselves. That's also the reason I placed words like maybe, just my opinion and et cetera, in my initial statement because there is room for those individuals wanting this feature to have success in acquiring it and it's operation. Still as someone that already went through trying it, I decided to offer it up.

The only difference was that my MCM settings weren't and wouldn't have been as automatic as MBS. Often it would allow it to pass as MCM operated as an admin, but when I would recall or play the file it wouldn't allow it. As I'm sure the devs are aware, on average, pathways shouldn't be longer than 160 characters because various software has different limitations. I know just in my experience WE as lovers of entertainment are ahead of the curve and most entertainment studios and such aren't taking our pathways into consideration when it comes to naming episodes or shows. But whoever likes it, I love it... to each their own.

Edited by godbodian

Something like this doesn't have to be limited to just tv/movie. It could also be handy for all the other formats that are being supported, ie. Photos, Ebooks, Music, (even Documents if someone made a plugin to handle and fetch meta for)

Not just a drop point but allowing you to select from within MB3 a directory on your local computer to pull say all photos from your camera, then upload them into whatever photo folder structure you had organised on the file server.

Or allow you to scan your google play store for ebooks you own to add a link into MB3.

Just a thought.

mariors44

I would like to see something like this as well.

To be honest, the only reason I am still using Media Center Master is because it call poll a folder for new files, determine if the new files are movies or TV show episodes, rename them, and then move them to the appropriate folder.

MCM can also download backdrops, clear art, and trailers, but MB3 does that already.  If MB3 could do the moving and renaming then I could get rid of MCM completely.

I totally agree with you. Would be nice MB3 would do this. I still use MCM for the same reason.

+1 for this plugin

I have htpc build on LC-Power case with LCD display and when playing video it shows actual filename on it, so it looks nicer when it shows what looking instead of short names or whatever.

For renaming purpose i still using old free MetaBrowser  (but it is not anymore capable of fetching movies, only tv; second, it dont support double episodes, etc...)

• 1 month later...

you need both. on some file systems, and on some networks, the real-time monitor may not work or may miss some changes. that's why metabrowser has an option to poll periodically. so we have both.

Okay then it must be my system, I have scheduled a scan every hour.

ginjaninja

If I were to add renaming i would just go the external drop folder route.i think that's the best approach. download to a drop folder. have mb3 watch that folder and rename/move to the corresponding media folder.

I too would find an MB3 internal, Rename and Move plugin targeting a hotfolder useful.

some ideas mostly from existing tools.

• Movies belonging to an existing library boxset moved into boxset folder structure
  • otherwise default destination for ingested movies.
  • interface to help manually id movies which cant be auto id'ed (perhaps link to launch moviedb/imdb search results)
  • plugin activity history with links to web ui to quickly review autodetected content and correct images/id if necessary. 
  • default folder to move episodes for new series into a series\season xx\episodename (configurable) (episodes for existing series ingested into existing folder, known to mb3)
  • series aliases to detect content with non conforming names
  • flexible episode detection based on path and filename (fwiw tvrename.com has a set of regular expressions).
  • music files (not themes) moved into a configurable folder strucutre with configurable naming scheme based on tags (fail-safe rename\move only if the tags exist)
  • optional music folder locations for tag value=X,Y,Z
  • to detect known accepted metadata and move with any folder moves eg. folder.jpg, movie.xml
  • tell mb3 not to fetch\library scan during move. 

ginjaninja

MBC will refresh any changes on the fly and even give you a fly-out window for newly added items (if the option is turned on).  However, if your server isn't seeing the changes, then nothing will know about them.

@@ebr

My RALs wont update even when server detects new content and MBC shows the popup for new content....should this be working now?

i have to exit mbc and reenter to force a RAL update.

@@ebr

My RALs wont update even when server detects new content and MBC shows the popup for new content....should this be working now?

i have to exit mbc and reenter to force a RAL update.

What theme?  Is it consistent across themes?  Is it consistent across collection types?

MBC will refresh any changes on the fly and even give you a fly-out window for newly added items (if the option is turned on).  However, if your server isn't seeing the changes, then nothing will know about them.

I would like this as well. I'm using metabrowser 2 for a long time and this one of the best options it has. Also if mb3 could have a real time monitoring function like metabrowser has then mb3 doesn't have to scan the library that often to notice new added items.

New items would then occur instantly in mbc like it does now in metabrowser 2.

Edited by heula
  • Like 1

we do have real-time monitoring.

When I have mbc open and I add new items they do not show up. When I close mbc and reopen still no new shows. When I run a library scan then they show up.

Am I doing something wrong then?

If real time monitoring is active what is a library scan needed for?

you need both. on some file systems, and on some networks, the real-time monitor may not work or may miss some changes. that's why metabrowser has an option to poll periodically. so we have both.

Will check if this is turned on.

Someone else just reported that they no longer see real-time updates in the file system as well.

Perhaps we have a regression in the recent server build.  We'll look into it.

• Like 2

I have this setting turned off because I know what I add to my library.

I just added some new shows and they do not appear until I manually scan my library and restart mbc.

Did you find the cause yet or shall I make this a new bug thread?