Emby demands upgrade to 'premiere'

sugarat

sugarat

Hi there.  

My parents who use Emby on an Amazon box are having playback issues.  They just sent me a video demonstrating that any film they click on, it refuses to play, and now shows a message 'Playback unsupported. Please unlock or subscribe to Emby premiere'.  This literally just started happening, as they were using Emby successfully last night.

What can I check??  The app is signed into the server fine,  it just refuses to play any content and wants a premiere subscription upgrade?  This is for a local library hosted on a server there. 

Many thanks 

embyserver (1).txt

sfboender

Same situation here, played content last couple of months and now its changed to paying am I getting this right?

if so its gonna cost a lot of users, seeing i’m a power user i bought Emby but they play 2-3 movies a month. For them its not worth it and this was the USP from Emby versus Plex. 

Want cool features pay, if just basic streaming it was free. 

Happy2Play

14 minutes ago, sfboender said:

Same situation here, played content last couple of months and now its changed to paying am I getting this right?

if so its gonna cost a lot of users, seeing i’m a power user i bought Emby but they play 2-3 movies a month. For them its not worth it and this was the USP from Emby versus Plex. 

Want cool features pay, if just basic streaming it was free. 

26 minutes ago, sfboender said:

Again this is just not true. 

Hi.  What do you not feel is true?

arastaf
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What do you not feel is true?

The Android app never required premiere. I've used it for over 4 years on my Nvidia shield and a year on my Sony TV with built in Android TV. Until today I have never had to pay to stream videos off my own server. 

5 minutes ago, arastaf said:

The Android app never required premiere. I've used it for over 4 years on my Nvidia shield and a year on my Sony TV with built in Android TV. Until today I have never had to pay to stream videos off my own server. 

Hi.  It requires either Premiere or an app unlock.  Perhaps you purchased the unlock on your Shield or TV.  If so, the restore unlock should work for you.

This is not a new policy as you can look back in this forum or look at old store listings and see this has been the case.

For instance, here is a post from 18 months ago asking about the unlock:

Thanks.

arastaf
27 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  It requires either Premiere or an app unlock.  Perhaps you purchased the unlock on your Shield or TV.  If so, the restore unlock should work for you.

This is not a new policy as you can look back in this forum or look at old store listings and see this has been the case.

For instance, here is a post from 18 months ago asking about the unlock:

Thanks.

If you look at the pricing page it's clear that the Android TV and Roku apps are in different areas. So this doesn't even apply to this conversation.

It amazes me that multiple people are saying this is how the application worked before, and your telling us we are just wrong. 

I guess I'll switch to Plex after this bait and switch. If you're going to remove all features of the application unless it's paid for after years, who know what other features will be lost if you buy the buy the unlock down the road. 

Edited by arastaf

Hi there, I apologize for the frustration and disruption. The app has always required either Emby Premiere or the one-time unlock, and this has always been outlined in the store description. What happened in your case is that there was a defect in the app causing it to inadvertently grant free access in certain situations after the trial period had expired. It was an issue we had to correct and that is why it's now asking you for the unlock or Premiere purchase. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We thank you for your support.

• Like 1

Dariusz
23 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, I apologize for the frustration and disruption. The app has always required either Emby Premiere or the one-time unlock, and this has always been outlined in the store description. What happened in your case is that there was a defect in the app causing it to inadvertently grant free access in certain situations after the trial period had expired. It was an issue we had to correct and that is why it's now asking you for the unlock or Premiere purchase. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We thank you for your support.

I've been using EMBY since 2016 and I have to say I am happy to pay for the Premiere just now, just to support you guys for the great work and support you are providing.  Even tho i was pretty certain I thought i did the app unlock in the past, It doesn't even bother me just to buy out the Premiere as it makes more sense just for the other features that come with it as well as to support the EMBY team.. keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing this app grow just as it has over the past 4 years that I have been using it!  cheers! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dariusz said:

I've been using EMBY since 2016 and I have to say I am happy to pay for the Premiere just now, just to support you guys for the great work and support you are providing.  Even tho i was pretty certain I thought i did the app unlock in the past, It doesn't even bother me just to buy out the Premiere as it makes more sense just for the other features that come with it as well as to support the EMBY team.. keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing this app grow just as it has over the past 4 years that I have been using it!  cheers! 

Thanks very much for the support.

Riggs

@ebr

So, I want to understand, because I have seen a lot of open topic about the same.

- I have 3 or 4 family members who created an account to use Emby connect to connect to my secondary remote server.

- Are they going to be subject to buying memberships or unlocks as well?

- If not, what are the limitations?

- It worries me, because I don't want any of them to start receiving messages and think that I want them to buy something.

They use it to view the content of my server, it is not a business server, it is a remote server that I have in a data center for the exclusive use of those people.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, Riggs said:

@ebr

So, I want to understand, because I have seen a lot of open topic about the same.

- I have 3 or 4 family members who created an account to use Emby connect to connect to my secondary remote server.

- Are they going to be subject to buying memberships or unlocks as well?

- If not, what are the limitations?

- It worries me, because I don't want any of them to start receiving messages and think that I want them to buy something.

They use it to view the content of my server, it is not a business server, it is a remote server that I have in a data center for the exclusive use of those people.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

If you have Emby Premiere all clients/apps up to your device limit will be covered up to that device limit.  The standard license device limit is 25 device.  If you don't have Premiere then most device client/apps require unlock.  I say most as it does not apply to all as you can see in the matrix.

• Thanks 1

Hi.  Happy is correct.  Nothing has changed with Premiere here.  Please let us know if you still have questions.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Riggs
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Happy is correct.  Nothing has changed with Premiere here.  Please let us know if you still have questions.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

If you have Emby Premiere all clients/apps up to your device limit will be covered up to that device limit.  The standard license device limit is 25 device.  If you don't have Premiere then most device client/apps require unlock.  I say most as it does not apply to all as you can see in the matrix.

Excellent, really helpful, then I'm okay with my premiere.

Thanks Happy and Ebr 

• Like 2