Watched Icon Suggestion.

psykix

psykix

The web interface and the iOS apps use different symbols for watched status. (iOS is an eye, web is a tick).

There is also an issue with numbers longer than 3 digits fitting in the green circle icon.

How about just having a watched/unwatched (open eye or closed eye) symbol at the Movie/TV Show level, and just use the green numbered circles at the season/album level?

You're unlikely to ever hit more than 3 digits then and it will also keep the watched/unwatched icon consistent across platforms.

Cheesegeezer

Personally not a fan of the eye's..... I don't think they look good no matter how you make them.  Used to have them in some of the themes in MB2 and i was never a fan.  But of course that's my opinion.

psykix

Well it doesn't have to be an eye - just some sort of watched/unwatched icon. I just don't think you need to know how many unwatched items there are at the TV Series level - just that there are unwatched items.

Cheesegeezer

Well it doesn't have to be an eye - just some sort of watched/unwatched icon. I just don't think you need to know how many unwatched items there are at the TV Series level - just that there are unwatched items.

Come to MBC we can turn those off (queue evil laugh......)

mwahhahahahahahahahaha

Definitely not a fan of the "eye".

We had a long discussion on this a while back and I thought we agreed on the style that is now in the web client.  I aligned MBC with that - although, due to popular ranting, I did change my watched indicator to Red so that watched items vs. unwatched counts were immediately obvious.  I think this was a good suggestion.

53c934054eba4_mbcwatchedind.png

Cheesegeezer

Definitely not a fan of the "eye"

I'm soooooo pleased to hear you say that :) 

@@psykix Xenon also runs from MBC core images for watched/unwatched and count icons, I for one certainly think we need standardization for these icons, so any client you are in, you know what all the icons mean.

darwindeeds

We used the eye in iOS but we are considering changing that. The key is to have an indicator that is obvious and not confusing. 

As far as the numbers go, I think we handled that. Anything over 3 digits is indicated with 1k or 1.5k etc. 3 digits fits just fine.

Edited by darwindeeds

psykix

The way Plex (spit!) does it is quite nice, and simple whereby it is an empty circle, full circle or half circle for part watched. The actual icon they use is no great shakes, but it's obvious what it means.

Both Roku channels have problems with unwatched counts over 999, I don't know whether that's something within the client or if it's pulled from the server?

FWIW, I did have to explain to the missus what a tick means. When we had Plex she never asked about the indicators, so I presume it was obvious :-)

psykix

Come to MBC we can turn those off (queue evil laugh......)

mwahhahahahahahahahaha

I can't move away from MBT I'm afraid. It's the love of my life and since discovering that and MadVR my Pioneer TV has never shown movies that look so good :-)

Plus.. my 7 year old can fire up Steam BP from right within MBT and when he quits he's back at his movies :-)

It's a love affair :-)

psykix

Definitely not a fan of the "eye".

We had a long discussion on this a while back and I thought we agreed on the style that is now in the web client.  I aligned MBC with that - although, due to popular ranting, I did change my watched indicator to Red so that watched items vs. unwatched counts were immediately obvious.  I think this was a good suggestion.

Duh. I never saw that discussion!

psykix

what tick?

The watched icon (white tick in a green circle)

I think the post you made here http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/3368-standardized-watchedunwatched-indicator-guidelines/?p=58878 sums up things pretty well.

Music does currently have a number of unwatched on the albums.

Maybe at the top level it just needs either tick or nothing for watched or unwatched.

psykix

oh you mean check mark. how is that not obvious?

She thought it meant she had a new episode to watch!

This IS my wife we are talking about here...

well the original design thread had guidelines saying the unwatched bubble should only be used for series, season and boxset. It is unlikely you'll hit three digits with those (although still possible).

If if's Jag then I'm interested to see the output of his design.

The way Plex (spit!) does it is quite nice, and simple whereby it is an empty circle, full circle or half circle for part watched. The actual icon they use is no great shakes, but it's obvious what it means.

Both Roku channels have problems with unwatched counts over 999, I don't know whether that's something within the client or if it's pulled from the server?

FWIW, I did have to explain to the missus what a tick means. When we had Plex she never asked about the indicators, so I presume it was obvious :-)

what tick?