Emby for Android TV Transcoding AC3 to Incompatible AAC

markwiese

markwiese

Hi. I have a problem whereby Emby is unnecessarily transcoding AC3 audio to 5.1 AAC (I found this argument being supplied to ffmpeg: -c:a:0 aac) and sending that to my Android TV when my Android TV does not support AAC with more than 2 audio channels. I have my Android TV set to AC3 pass-through and that is working fine for watching live TV and using the native media player on the TV. Logs are attached. I note that on my latest attempt there was no remux log created, but the TV "stats for nerds" showed the audio codec as "Dolby (local downmix)" which leads me to suspect that I've successfully gotten Emby to send AC3 to the Android TV but the Emby for Android TV app is downmixing it - despite the fact I have it set to Auto (not Local Downmix) and I have the optical output connected to a Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder that is working for other AC3 media on the TV.

Please let me know if you need anything further to help with this.

IMG_20200808_194407.jpg

Emby Logs.zip

4 hours ago, markwiese said:

and I have the optical output connected to a Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder

Is that the only audio connection you have available? 

markwiese

No, there is also a 3.5 mm audio output but it's only stereo, of course. The optical output is my only option for AC3.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  Optical connection audio is not really supported well by the player we are using and Google (the creator of the player) is not all that keen on improving it so it is on our list to see if we can ourselves.

Thanks.

markwiese

Ah, OK. Thanks for the information. I can use Emby for Windows Media Centre and it passes the AC3 through the TV to my audio receiver (via HDMI to the TV, then optical to the receiver), so at least I have a workaround, but Emby for WMC isn't quite as good as the Android TV app when it comes to selecting audio & subtitle tracks so it would be great if you guys could get it working in the future :)