Domain name or dynamic DNS in LAN networks:

fattony

fattony

Currently you are able to add a comma separated list of IP addresses or IP/netmask to server/network/lan networks: to exempt them from external bandwidth restrictions

Would be nice if it were possible to also add domain names or dynamic DNS for exemption of the restrictions.

this could also be usefull for Remote IP address filter:

Regards,

How exactly would you use that?  Most people running a client app aren't going to have a domain or ddns as those are usually only used by people running servers or remote access products.

So if a Roku connects to your system it will only get an IP address.  Would you expect Emby to then try to figure out if the IP is associated with a domain entry?

fattony

So if a Roku connects to your system it will only get an IP address.  Would you expect Emby to then try to figure out if the IP is associated with a domain entry?

Yes this is my use case. I have 3 remote locations that all have DNS & i would like to exempt them from the external bandwidth restrictions & also whitelist in the "Remote IP address filter:"

This would not be possible dealing only with (Dynamic)IP addresses.

regards,

I do this using IPs only for family members.  Most ISP have certain blocks they use to hand out IPs in different areas.  So for example  my son is always on one C class, while my daughter is another C class.  You just set up to whitelist the whole C class.

If you need more control than that you really want to use a reverse proxy or similar that give you full control over security.

The thing to keep in mind with IP4 is that to you server they really aren't "dynamic" but from a set of IPs.