Emby Connect issues on FireTV Stick

WonkoTheSane

Your friend is using Emby Connect vs direct logging in correct?

6 minutes ago, WonkoTheSane said:

The remote connection works fine with Emby Web manual connect for him and for me. As I stated earlier,

the WAN address displayed in the dashboard now looks like this: https://my.domain.org/emby:443.

That says "manual connect".  Did you guys test logging in via the web using Emby Connect?

https://app.emby.media

WonkoTheSane

No, in the Emby Dashboard the address is malformed since the portnumber should be behind the domain name. (see my comment above regarding this)

WonkoTheSane
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Your friend is using Emby Connect vs direct logging in correct?

That says "manual connect".  Did you guys test logging in via the web using Emby Connect?

https://app.emby.media

Yes, it works just fine.

1 minute ago, WonkoTheSane said:

No, in the Emby Dashboard the address is malformed since the portnumber should be behind the domain name. (see my comment above regarding this)

Okay, as mentioned before - you need to configure the hosting settings on your server so that the address shown there is correct.  That is the address the app is trying to connect to.

WonkoTheSane
Just now, ebr said:

Okay, as mentioned before - you need to configure the hosting settings on your server so that the address shown there is correct.  That is the address the app is trying to connect to.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to achieve that. It was suggested above that I append the subfolder that i use to manually connect to my Emby Server from remote connections to the External Domain field in the network settings of my Emby server. This field is now "my.domain.org/emby". The "Public https port number" field is "443". These 2 combined give me the malformed WAN access address displayed in the dashboard.

9 minutes ago, WonkoTheSane said:

Yes you're right so that likely won't work but was worth a shot.  You'll have to setup your proxy different to accommodate Emby vs trying to get Emby to accommodate the way you setup the proxy.  Easiest way to do the rewrites would be to use an "emby" sub domain.

Any reason why you can't use emby.domain.org vs my.domain.org/emby ?

Edited by cayars

WonkoTheSane
On 12/08/2020 at 21:32, cayars said:

Yes you're right so that likely won't work but was worth a shot.  You'll have to setup your proxy different to accommodate Emby vs trying to get Emby to accommodate the way you setup the proxy. 

Well, I guess the server would need an extra field for an optional subfolder to be able to create a valid URL for subfolder forwarding.

On 12/08/2020 at 21:32, cayars said:

Any reason why you can't use emby.domain.org vs my.domain.org/emby ?

It just seemed a bit simpler at the time and until now, everything worked just fine. Anyway, I just set up a subdomain for my Emby server, everything looks like it's working on my end. I'll report back once my friend had a chance to test this.

Thanks again for all the input and support.

WonkoTheSane

Unfortunately, my friend is still unable to connect to my server from his FireTV stick. Connections work

for him from his PC and his Android Phone. He's about to dust off his PS3 in order to get something to

connect to my server that is hooked up to his TV. It's really puzzling to me why this won't work on his FireTV

stick.

On 8/12/2020 at 3:23 PM, WonkoTheSane said:

You need to fix this. If you customized the wan address field in the server, that should only be a domain, without any port added to that.

2 hours ago, WonkoTheSane said:

Unfortunately, my friend is still unable to connect to my server from his FireTV stick. Connections work

for him from his PC and his Android Phone. He's about to dust off his PS3 in order to get something to

connect to my server that is hooked up to his TV. It's really puzzling to me why this won't work on his FireTV

stick.

Have you had him remove/forget the server then set it up again?

Are you sure which screen he's actually logging in from (direct or connect) as they look very similar?

Obviously there is nothing wrong with his accounts if he can login from the PC and the phone.

WonkoTheSane
52 minutes ago, Luke said:

You need to fix this. If you customized the wan address field in the server, that should only be a domain, without any port added to that.

The WAN address field points to emby.my.domain.org. The external link displayed in the dashboard is correct and takes me to my Emby server.

Just to clarify, what I had tried before was to put my.domain.org/emby into the external domain field. That led to the malformed address. I did not put a port number there.

Edited by WonkoTheSane

WonkoTheSane
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

Have you had him remove/forget the server then set it up again?

Are you sure which screen he's actually logging in from (direct or connect) as they look very similar?

Obviously there is nothing wrong with his accounts if he can login from the PC and the phone.

I did. The last thing I had him do was to go to the FireTV settings page and clear cache and data for the Emby app after force closing

it. Same result as before.

Edited by WonkoTheSane

Also have him try an actual "forget" at the Emby Connect login screen after it fails to connect.  Back out of the app and go back in again and login.

WonkoTheSane
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Also have him try an actual "forget" at the Emby Connect login screen after it fails to connect.  Back out of the app and go back in again and login.

I'll pay him a visit in the next couple of days. I'll take my Shield box with me for comparison.

What happens if he manually inputs your server address?

if that still fails, you probably also have a certificate problem.  Is your server on Linux?

43 minutes ago, WonkoTheSane said:

ZeroSSL

Is this a certificate that the Fire Stick trusts? I don't believe that it is and this is the reason for your problem. You'll need to use a trusted certificate as we haven't yet added a mechanism into the app to allow you to force it to be accepted.

If he he got his friend to try to login then send a log, could you tell this from the log?

Edited by cayars

1 minute ago, cayars said:

If he he got his friend to try to login then send a log, could you tell this from the log?

It would probably just show as a 401 error... I'm not 100% sure.  Would be interesting to confirm the address being attempted at least.

WonkoTheSane

Back again.

It turns out that I made a small mistake with my Nginx configuration. Specifically, I failed to provide the intermediate certificate.

Maybe someone can shed some light on my questions regarding this:

Android TV: Why isn't the error message more clear about the actual issue. "Server unreachable" isn't very helpful when there's

a problem with the certificate. I'm not too familiar with the Android software stack, but I'd wager that a more fitting error message

could be displayed.

All other platforms: Why do neither web browsers (at least on Windows) nor the Android app complain about the missing intermediate certificate?

Thanks to everyone for helping in finding the source of the problem. It is very much appreciated.

Edited by WonkoTheSane