no "HD preferred" option when adding a series

sward

sward

I'm in the process of migrating away from WMC and since there's no way to import the watched/followed series from WMC, I'm starting to manually add series to Emby, and boy is this a painful & poorly designed process! For starters, there's no "HD preferred" option when adding a series, so what happens is if an upcoming episode is aired in both SD and HD, Emby will populate upcoming recordings with the SD airing (not sure why it would default to SD when an HD version of the same episode is available). To make matters worse, if under "series settings" I then change to the "HD only" channel that the series airs on (as opposed to "all  channels" which is the preferred option), it will then repopulate scheduled recordings with episodes that I already blocked with "do not record" (i.e. when it was listing the SD airings).

Selecting "Do not record" should indicate you aren't interested in that particular episode, regardless of whether it is available in HD or SD. Adding an option for "HD preferred" under "DVR -> Default Recording Settings" just means that the system will always prefer the HD version of an episode, if both SD and HD are available. 

The current implementation of DVR is a bit primitive in that regard.  What many of us due is remove SD only channels so they don't show up in the first place.  This solves this and other problems associated with SD vs HD as well make the guide a bit smaller which is always a good thing.

There is currently a Live TV project in progress that will replace the current functionality.

sward

As someone who's been running an HTPC for over 15 years (first with BeyondTV then with WMC when CableCARD came out), I can tell you that having the SD channels available as backup can serve as a useful "canary in the coalmine" to let you know that something is wrong with your EPG data, if for example your upcoming recordings only show SD versions of the show, even after you selected "HD preferred." Disabling the SD channels means you wouldn't even know there was a problem.

I missed many a recording prior to switching from "HD only" to "HD preferred."

I too have been through many DVRs including Beyond TV (before they went commercial), Sage, WMC, etc, so I do understand your point about guide data.  The new Live TV project will do things a bit differently and hopefully put this issue to bed. :)

• 4 weeks later...