User accounts no longer private

Punch
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

10 hours ago, Punch said:

I did mention I'm on the lastest update... so that would be 4.4.3.0. If @cayars is official then yes we can do a remote session at his discretion.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but we just got both power and internet back online after Tropical Storm Isaias Slammed our area.  I'll send you a PM (private message) and we'll set this up.

8 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Now we don't want @cayars getting a swelled head so I am reserving two good insults for use in the future to balance this overdose of sweetness. 😎👿😜

Ut oh, I better be on good behavior then. :)

12 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes he is a "Official Support representative for Emby."

@Abobader is there a way to list cayars on the staff page?

Done.

• Like 1

• Solution

The initial problem was running VPN on the server machine so it was confusing the users.

Some of the metadata providers were also kicking back 404 & permission denied errors as well as they didn't like the VPN IP address block.

We turned this off and it fixed both of those problems but IPTV isn't running through VPN anymore which @Punch would prefer.  No easy way to handle both situations.

@Punch I was just thinking about this. Try installing NextPVR on your NUC with your custom IPTV file.  If NextPVR can access and playback your streams we have a clear path as we can use NextPVR to feed Emby the channels and use the Split Tunnel feature of your VPN provider.  All we do if have NextPVR feed Emby an M3U list and we setup the VPN to force NextPVR to use the VPN connection.

Or if you have another machine on your network that's always on and uses VPN just install NextPVR on that machine.  Either way.

But give NextPVR a shot to see if it can play your streams.  If so it's cake to setup in Emby.

• Like 1

Punch
17 hours ago, cayars said:

@Punch I was just thinking about this. Try installing NextPVR on your NUC with your custom IPTV file.  If NextPVR can access and playback your streams we have a clear path as we can use NextPVR to feed Emby the channels and use the Split Tunnel feature of your VPN provider.  All we do if have NextPVR feed Emby an M3U list and we setup the VPN to force NextPVR to use the VPN connection.

Or if you have another machine on your network that's always on and uses VPN just install NextPVR on that machine.  Either way.

But give NextPVR a shot to see if it can play your streams.  If so it's cake to setup in Emby.

Will give it a go mate .. Thanks !!

On 8/5/2020 at 2:55 PM, cayars said:

The initial problem was running VPN on the server machine so it was confusing the users.

Some of the metadata providers were also kicking back 404 & permission denied errors as well as they didn't like the VPN IP address block.

We turned this off and it fixed both of those problems

Great investigation. Thanks !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2020 at 8:13 PM, cayars said:

Ok i got next pvr and couldnt get it working.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

If you just want to import an m3u, you can do that directly in Emby without having to use next pvr.

That's not our issue. It was trying to get a tunnel going with my vpn 

Hi Punch.  This depends on your setup of Emby really and nothing else.  You can define the IPs that are considered local and what aren't.
You control the options for each user if the account is shown on remote and/or local IPs or not at all.

If you're having trouble getting this figured out just ask for help and we can assist.

5 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi Punch.  This depends on your setup of Emby really and nothing else.  You can define the IPs that are considered local and what aren't.
You control the options for each user if the account is shown on remote and/or local IPs or not at all.

If you're having trouble getting this figured out just ask for help and we can assist.

Hey Cayars. Well it's not a problem since you fixed it, just wanted to know if I would be able to resume using the VPN without it "breaking" again. 

No because Emby running through the VPN has issues connecting to the meta-data providers.

Let me see if I can recap the issue as we discussed.  As I remember it Emby was having issues connecting to the meta-data providers with lots of errors in the logs while running through the VPN.  However, you wanted the IPTV streams to go through the VPN.

Emby itself can't send some data through the VPN and not other stuff.  That requires specific routes setup to use or bypass VPN or the use of split tunnel VPN service WHILE using a different program for IPTV to funnel through to Emby.  I had suggested trying Next PVR for this.

Why don't you send me a PM and we'll discuss offline in private the IPTV stuff as see if we can get a solution to run the IPTV streams through the VPN.