Hardware Transcoding Issue

shaanmi91

shaanmi91

Hello,

I haven't built a computer in a long time. Just a quick question. Does Emby transcode videos using the CPU or the video card? I thought most codec processing uses the CPU. The reason why I am asking this is because I get great performance on my Roku box and on my Apple TV when streaming high definition shows and movies through the Emby app(I put the quality settings to maximum), however, on different browsers on different computers,  and my Android smartphone, the performance can be pretty shaky at times when streaming the same high def files. I've streamed 2160p shows to my Apple TV with no problem, the Apple TV is is using the Wifi connection and not ethernet so I don't think its the router.  My CPU  on my server is pretty good, but I do have cheap Nvidia video card installed. I am running Windows 7 Pro, I have 8GB of Ram and my C-Drive is an SSD with literally nothing on it except For the Emby Server, Firefox browser and my BitTorrent client. I just re-installed Windows a few days ago. Am I missing something here? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Appreciate the help in advance.

Thanks,

Edited by shaanmi91

Sammy

This is in the Knowledge Base but it could be limited by your self-described "cheap Nvidia video card" and quite frankly your CPU if that card isn't powerful enough. Can you give the specifications for the CPU and video card?

Edited by Sammy

Does Emby transcode videos using the CPU or the video card?

Hi, out of the box Emby Server will use your CPU, but with Emby Premiere, hardware (GPU) transcoding will be utilized when supported.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !