Server CPU Usage - Stress Testing

legallink

legallink

I've been doing a little stress testing on the server, and perhaps I am in the extreme, but based on the postss, I think I am more on the normal usage side, if not a little on the "lighter":usage side.  I must have something configured oddly, because my CPU usage stats appears to be quite high.

CPU: i5-2500k

RAM: 8GB

Graphics card: Radeon 5770

MB Server: Version 3.0.5309.26857

Server Transcode Settings: Auto

Available Clients: iPhone MB app, iPad MB app, MBC on Windows 7, MB Theater (on same machine and via lan), MB Server browser player.

Avg. per client/stream CPU usage (mixed media) (ffmpeg): DVD: 33 - 42% Blu-ray: 70%

Typical media format: .mkv

*Note: MB Theater does not induce a ffmpeg instance, so usage increase is not even noticable when MB Theater is the player....all other clients, including MB server browser player appear to be similar usage patterns.

Edited by legallink

legallink

Yup, all other clients. Although MBC is on the same machine as the server, so I assume that is why.

Yup, all other clients. Although MBC is on the same machine as the server, so I assume that is why.

No, that makes even less sense.  If MBC is causing transcoding (on anything except internet content like from a channel) then something is not set up properly.

Spaceboy

MBC causes works my NUC as loudly / hot as i've had it so far. not even doing anything either, just sitting on the EHS. I just assumed it was WMC architecture and was one of the reasons why i'm so keen to use MBT

MBC causes works my NUC as loudly / hot as i've had it so far. not even doing anything either, just sitting on the EHS. I just assumed it was WMC architecture and was one of the reasons why i'm so keen to use MBT

We are talking about different things.  The OP specifically said ffmpeg was running while playing something in MBC.  You are just talking about your processor running to the point of causing the fan to kick in.  That could be any number of things but is not the same thing.

Koleckai Silvestri

I've been doing a little stress testing on the server, and perhaps I am in the extreme, but based on the postss, I think I am more on the normal usage side, if not a little on the "lighter":usage side.  I must have something configured oddly, because my CPU usage stats appears to be quite high.

CPU: i5-2500k

RAM: 8GB

Graphics card: Radeon 5770

MB Server: Version 3.0.5309.26857

Server Transcode Settings: Auto

Available Clients: iPhone MB app, iPad MB app, MBC on Windows 7, MB Theater (on same machine and via lan), MB Server browser player.

Avg. per client/stream CPU usage (mixed media) (ffmpeg): DVD: 33 - 42% Blu-ray: 70%

Typical media format: .mkv

*Note: MB Theater does not induce a ffmpeg instance, so usage increase is not even noticable when MB Theater is the player....all other clients, including MB server browser player appear to be similar usage patterns.

I have the same processor and get the same results on Auto. Graphics card is irrelevant since they don't do transcoding via the graphics card. It is purely a CPU usage at this time. If I set it to Max, it jumps to 80-99% but still no real noticeable performance change.

Your FFMPEG processes probably only use two threads or cores though. At least that is what I am experiencing. Depending on what you're using to track usage, it could be using less CPU than you think. While transcoding other processes can use cores 3 and 4 with little performance degradation on the machine as a whole. I've sat and played MMORPGs on the machine that serves as my client while someone is transcoding to the Roku. No noticeable change in performance. On the remote devices that use transcoding, I've set their bitrates to reduce the need but it still happens with subtitles and certain audio streams.

legallink

EBR,

I may have spoken too quickly.  I just tested again, and I did not see an ffmpeg stream come up on MBC.  I must have based it off of CPU usage the last time I looked, as I log on to the machine via teamview, and when I do that, Teamviewer, while streaming the video, eats up roughly the same CPU usage %.

Deihmos
Spaceboy, on 18 Jul 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

My NUC doesn't even break a sweat on MBC. CPU use is about 5% when playing back 1080P.

Spaceboy

My NUC doesn't even break a sweat on MBC. CPU use is about 5% when playing back 1080P.

Yeah play back is fine for me too. As I say it's sitting in the EHS using the square metro like theme that is making the fans pick up. No idea why, everything else is fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

legallink

I'd like to stress test it a bit.  Does anyone have any numbers of how many transcoding sessiosn they can support before the machine starts to show it's limitations?  Sadly, I've only got 5 machines to test on it and no additional virtual machines set up.  I'm curious as to how many machines it can support.  Obviously hardware dependent.