Add/edit library gone from dashboard after inputing Emby Premiere

johnmichael9

johnmichael9

Hi. Apologize if this is user error, but if it is, then there has to be some user experience constructive criticism in here somewhere.

I installed Emby yesterday. It showed a lot of promise (currently fed up with Plex) so I bought Premiere (lifetime) and inputed my key. An hour later I figured it was time to add more of my folders to an existing library, but all of a sudden everything on the left margin in the dashboard is gone, except for the Display, Home Screen, Playback, Subtitles, Password, Profile and Keyboard and Remote.

I've tried rebooting and removing the Premiere Key, but the dashboard is still lacking a lot of the options that I used to have (but unfortunately hasn't seen enough times to have them memorized). If I click the black gear top right it becomes green, but nothing else changes. I've tried Firefox and Chrome, logged in and out etc. And every Google search for this problem only leads to threads about people having their libraries completely missing, but mine is still there, I just cant manage my server after clicking on Manage Emby Server.

Can anyone help me get back the possibility of adding to libraries and also adding new libraries?

Edit: Ubuntu 20.04 Server and Emby version 4.4.3.0

Edited by johnmichael9

Click your user avater in the top right corner.  Does this show the server section? You can get to the dashboard from there.

johnmichael9
1 minute ago, speechles said:

Click your user avater in the top right corner.  Does this show the server section? You can get to the dashboard from there.

That does not show anything server related either. Just the same as I see on the left side of the dashboard after clicking on Manage Emby Server.

http://<ip-of-emby-server-here>:8096/web/dashboard.html

That should let you back into it.

Edited by speechles

johnmichael9
12 minutes ago, speechles said:

http://<ip-of-emby-server-here>:8096/web/dashboard.html

That should let you back into it.

Maybe I'm not making myself clear. I can open the dashboard. But the dashboard doesn't look the same anymore. There seems to be only client related settings when I open http://LAN-IP:8096/web/dashboard.html and all server related things (the only thing I can remember using so far is the library option on the left side margin) are gone. Uploading screenshot in the hopes that it will be better understood what my issue is (anything red was manually sensored), so someone with functioning dashboard can compare mine with theirs and see what I'm missing.

emby.dashboard.png

Edited by johnmichael9

It does not believe you are the administrator. Something else must have changed besides the premiere key.

Are you absolutely sure you are logged in as the administrator? It still says "Get Emby Premiere" so if you did enter a premiere key then something is majorly different.

Edited by speechles

johnmichael9

Installed it yesterday, did not make any other accounts, nor have I invited anyone to use my Emby server yet. It still says "Get Emby Premiere" because, as I mentioned in my first post, I tried removing the key in the hopes of getting my server settings back.

The only user I know of is the one I created when I set it up yesterday, how do I login as administrator? Use Administrator instead of my username and use the same password that I picked yesterday?

Edit: Tried logging in as Administrator as username and same password as my user, but can't login. Also tried admin with no luck.

Edited by johnmichael9

The first user you set up is the administrator. If you change the settings inside that user, specifically "Allow this user to manage the server" and uncheck that. You lose administrator.

You might need to delete everything in:

%appdata%\Emby-Server\data\    (This is obviously a different spot on Ubuntu..but it will be the data section of emby server)

Make sure Emby server is not running when you delete everything within the \data folder. Then restart Emby server. Unfortunately it is all brand new and you must do everything again. Once you complete the initial set up go right to "Premiere" and enter your key. Then set up your users and libraries. It should be smooth sailing from there. 

Something in the \data section is messed up and clearing it all and redo it all is the safest/best/fastest way to get back on your feet with no issues.

Edited by speechles

johnmichael9
1 minute ago, speechles said:

The first user you set up is the administrator. If you change the settings inside that user, specifically "Allow this user to manage the server" and uncheck that. You lose administrator.

You might need to delete everything in:

%appdata%\Emby-Server\data\

Make sure Emby server is not running when you delete everything within the \data folder. Then restart Emby server. Unfortunately it is all brand new and you must do everything again. Once you complete the initial set up go right to "Premiere" and enter your key. Then set up your users and libraries. It should be smooth sailing for there.

Something in the \data section is messed up and clearing it all and redo it all is the safest/best/fastest way to get back on your feet with no issues.

I don't mind loosing anything, it's almost unused at this point, but what directory should I clear when I'm, as previously mentioned, using Ubuntu Server 20.04? I'm able to find emby-server in /opt/emby-server, but there's no data folder inside it.

/var/lib/emby

That should be equivalent to the \data folder on windows. If you see a bunch of .db files in there it is.

Edited by speechles

johnmichael9
20 minutes ago, speechles said:

/var/lib/emby

That should be equivalent to the \data folder on windows. If you see a bunch of .db files in there it is.

Stopped emby via webgui. Deleted everything in /var/lib/emby/data (there were a bunch of .db files). Rebooted the vm and nothing changed, didn't even have to login. Tried again, this time checking if it actually stopped before deleting the folder (had to stop via htop because service emby-server stop just froze until CTRL D) and rebooted the VM. Now it forces me to login, and my old login doesn't work, but I don't see a setup wizard like yesterday, but I can login by clicking on the "emby" user. After logging in with emby user and no password, I don't really see a difference. There's no add libraries (but the ones I set up yesterday is still on the main page) and the only difference I notice is the username change and that settings theme has now reverted to white.

Edit: Thanks for trying, but I think I'm just going to delete the VM and reinstall from scratch (and put in the Emby Premier key as soon as it lets me).

Edited by johnmichael9

johnmichael9

VM is already destroyed and I'll set up from scratch when I get bored at work. Thanks for the offer, but I would never allow anyone into one of my machines, especially one that has its hooks/mounts into every single file server I own.

The only thing I can imagine happened, is that my registering for Emby Premiere changed my user from local admin with server manangent priveliges from a different machine on the LAN (I never opened localhost:8096 because I didn't have a gui on the ubuntu server),  to a restricted user that can barely do anything (I couldn't even reach the Emby Premiere key-input after I removed it, and the only way I could remove the key was by clicking on the Gold medal next to the server name) server-wise, but can still manage it's own settings as a web client. The weird thing though is that I could still restart/shutdown Emby, and change server name etc.

Understood about remote access.  If you change your mind let us know.

The Emby Premiere key doesn't change any users or do anything except open up additional functions is Emby Server.

Let us know when you rebuild the VM and how you make out.

Carlo